Archery Talk Forum banner

Newbie cocking question

238 4
Ok,

Posted this before, but thought I would ask you guys.

I blew out my knee and cannot bow hunt this year as I cannot stand.

Or get in a tree stand.

So I had my daughter and buddy put up a ground blind and ordered a Carbon Express Blade X bow.

Now here is the question- cocking it. It is a 165 lb pull, I am only 45, was in top shape till this (martial arts, running, weights, etc)

I must cock it while seated.

Is it easy to do so with the cocking rope or just use my one good leg and my hands?

I thought about getting one I could crank back, but since I plan on using it only two months, and next year with a new ACL and MCL going back to longbow....didn't think the cost was worth it.

Advice on this?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,535 Posts
From a seated position you would have to pull 82.5 lbs. probably up to shoulder level to get it cocked. If you could lean back and have your body relatively straight it should be pretty easy to do using your good leg and arms.

· Registered
206 Posts
I would get a cocking rope anyway. Heck, I use it now with two good legs! No sense working harder than you have to. I like the idea of the cocking rope also as it seems to lessen off-balance cocking, i.e. pulling on one side harder than the other.

· Registered
1,535 Posts
I would get a cocking rope anyway. Heck, I use it now with two good legs! No sense working harder than you have to. I like the idea of the cocking rope also as it seems to lessen off-balance cocking, i.e. pulling on one side harder than the other.
Yes, I assumed (I know) with a cocking rope).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.