Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's amazing how unorganized the web is on this subject. I am looking to start longbow and would like some web sites that have GOOD info on it. Also a few U.S. places to buy longbows and if you can be specific... anything in North Carolina or organizations to help me out. I am not a "oooh, I saw a cool movie and want to do it" person... I would like to take this up as a hobbie and compete if possible. Serious replies only, please. I find little in my area on this, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to do in this state. Please make suggestions on places, website and good books/videos to help me out. Thank you for your time and help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Getting Started

SilentLady,

I was introduced to the world of traditional archery in 1994 when I discovered a truely amazing publication: "Traditional Bowhunter Magazine". It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it does contain an enormous selection of ads for different bowyers and archery companies that could supply you with information and/or equipment.

As far as getting a bow, I would suggest contacting a custom bowyer (dozens listed in Traditional Bowhunter) and talking to them about what you want. Many of them offer exceptional quality equipment for hunting, competing, or whatever.

A few web sites to check out:

tradbow.com
stickbow.com
primitivearcher.com
threeriversarchery.com
mahaskacustombows.com

The first two of these sites will have links to several archery dealers, suppliers, and custom bowyers and fletchers who can give you advice.

A few books that might help:

The Traditional Bowhunters Handbook (see: Tradbow.com)
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible (Volumes 1, 2, 3)

Good luck, and welcome to the Traditional Archery world.

In the future, if you have any questions re: arrows and arrow building, I can be of help in that area too. :)

Cazador
[email protected]

·
Registered
20,295 Posts
Silent -

Sorry to be the one decenting note here, but as new archer, there are two things you should consider.

First and foremost, find a local range. Some are in the phone book, some aren't. Go to local sporting goods shops, preferably those that sell archery equipment, (don't worry, if al they sell are compounds ;) ), and ask where the ranges are. They are around, a lot just don't advertise.

Second - buy the cheapest "decent" bow you can. Decent means one that you can comfortably draw, and doesn't appear to be falling apart at the seems. Yes, eBay is not a bad idea. Ditto for arrows and finger protection. You mentioned you wanted a longbow, sorry, as a new shooter, it's hogwash. You don't know what you want, and to spend $400 (+) on a new or custom bow that in six months may be un-useable, is to my mind, just silly. Get to a range, get a bow, and start shooting, after you learn the basics, you'll have a better idea what type of bow feels best in your hand, and what type doesn't, and what type of archery you want to practice, if any. It's always possible that after a few months, you may decide that this isn't for you. It happens. Reading/researching is fine, but until you've done it, it really is hard to say. I've seen Olympic shooters, turn traditional, and strict recurve guys go compound, (go figure).

This may sound harsh, bit I've seen too many people show up at the range with over $1000 worth of equipment and proceed to bounce arrows off the floor, walls and ceiling!

You wanted serious answers.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply

Harsh is fine... you bring up many good points and I appreciate your view and will take it into consideration. Well done!

·
Registered
20,295 Posts
Silent -

Try this:

http://www.ncfaa-archery.org

Check the links to clubs, see if there's one in your neck of the woods.

The NFAA aren't the only guys in town, but it's a start.

Others include :
http://www.usarchery.org/
Drill down to clubs, and then by region.

Let us know how you make out.
Just remember, this time of year, most archery clubs (especially in the NE) are in hunting mode, so things might be a bit hectic.

Viper1 out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts