Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My name is Hank and I'm from central Arkansas. I'm looking to buy my first bow. I'll primarily be using it for bowhunting and the occasional outing at our local game and fish range for some 3D fun. Ideally I'd like to spend 500-600 on the bow. I was previously looking at bows like the PSE Stinger X as I wasn't really sure about what kind of draw weight I could handle, but I got my hands on my uncle's old bow which was an old Buckmaster BTR. The limbs read 70# peak and from research it has the standard 10# adjustment down to 60 (I have no idea what it was actually set to). I had no problem repeatedly drawing and holding it for a few minutes at a time.

As a result, I've now turned toward looking to other mid-range bows like that of the PSE Drive R, PSE Brute Force, and Hoyt Powermax. Obviously since these are 2016's, I won't be able to get my hands on them until my local shop gets them in. I was just curious if you all had any other recommendations for a bow in that range. I'd maybe consider saving up more and going for a higher-end model, but I'm not sure if that would be the best choice for my first bow. Also are RTS packages really that bad? Obviously for the prices of most of them the accessories won't be top notch by any means, but something to get me started for relatively cheap seems pretty attractive. Buying a bare bow and going standalone accessories could nearly double the price of a bow in that range.

Thanks for any advice, glad I found this site!

·
Registered
114 Posts
My suggestion woukd be to shoot as many bows as possible before choosing, but for your price range, I woukd look for a top of the line bow that us a couple years old.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The best thing would be to go to a shop and shoot a bunch of different models to see what feels the best to you. That being said...when you do shoot some make sure you try the Drive-R. This is a high end bow with a mid level price tag. I doubt there is another bow on the market that has the speed and features this bow does at the same price point...it is lighter than the previous Drive models and shoots great. The strings (which previously were not great) are now 452X so the bow really has it all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
everyone makes a good bow.

this time of year, Cabela's and MidwayUSA usually have very nice prices on last year's Bear, Martin, Diamond, PSE. a couple of em are 50% off. you get a lotta bow for the money. Most of those makes/models are adjustable (w/o a press) from 28-31in DL.

I'm 6'4, so I prefer 34+ ATA. If you're not, you might prefer something shorter.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,523 Posts
PSE BowMadness 34 is an excellent value! I know a couple of guys that have them and they shoot very competitively with them. I had one and loved it but I had to try out a Decree and I couldn't keep both.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can get a top line bow from last year for that price. It will be better than a brand new mid range bow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lots of good bows out there. I really love the PSE's with the HD cams. See if you can find a deal on a source HD or maybe find a used one here on the classifieds. If you're patient, they come up fairly often.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lots of good bows out there. I really love the PSE's with the HD cams. See if you can find a deal on a source HD or maybe find a used one here on the classifieds. If you're patient, they come up fairly often.
Yes my source HD is awesome. I bought for $80 less than normal going price off eBay.It was a brand new trade show demo.HD cams are smooooth.I bet the bow madness bows would be good also

·
Registered
552 Posts
All decent advice, remember to know your eye dominance before you buy to get the proper bow and Id get it at a pro shop if possible. Online you'll wind up with the wrong draw length, plus who's gonna set it up? Mission n Infinate edge are very adjustable. Mission line is pretty vast. Great bang for the buck

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hello everyone,

My name is Hank and I'm from central Arkansas. I'm looking to buy my first bow. I'll primarily be using it for bowhunting and the occasional outing at our local game and fish range for some 3D fun. Ideally I'd like to spend 500-600 on the bow. I was previously looking at bows like the PSE Stinger X as I wasn't really sure about what kind of draw weight I could handle, but I got my hands on my uncle's old bow which was an old Buckmaster BTR. The limbs read 70# peak and from research it has the standard 10# adjustment down to 60 (I have no idea what it was actually set to). I had no problem repeatedly drawing and holding it for a few minutes at a time.

As a result, I've now turned toward looking to other mid-range bows like that of the PSE Drive R, PSE Brute Force, and Hoyt Powermax. Obviously since these are 2016's, I won't be able to get my hands on them until my local shop gets them in. I was just curious if you all had any other recommendations for a bow in that range. I'd maybe consider saving up more and going for a higher-end model, but I'm not sure if that would be the best choice for my first bow. Also are RTS packages really that bad? Obviously for the prices of most of them the accessories won't be top notch by any means, but something to get me started for relatively cheap seems pretty attractive. Buying a bare bow and going standalone accessories could nearly double the price of a bow in that range.

Thanks for any advice, glad I found this site!
Hi Hank, the best way to get a higher performance bow at lower cost is to buy last year's model from a shop and get 20% off, or buy a lightly used bow 1-3 years old for as much as 50% off.

I would suggest getting a bow with a draw weight range that starts in the mid 40's... 45-60, 40-55, are both good options. It's more important that you have a place where you can build muscle and sound form, than being over-bowed and struggling.

For 3D, you'll want a bow with decent speed, yet solid balance and stability, so look for a dual cam bow with preflexed limbs, and something in the 33-36" ATA range. If you're shorter... then go 31-35. If taller 34-37.

The PSE Phenom is a great all arounder, which can be found for ~375-450
The PSE Supra Max is an outstanding bow, and can be found for ~500-450 right now given that new bows are out.
The PSE Decree HD can be found used, and might be in your price range as well.

In New bows, look for the Premonition HD, and Bow Madness 34, at Xmas... you may find sales.

Best of luck,
David

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts