Archery Talk Forum banner

Newbie Looking for Advice

422 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  tldga3
Hi all.

I'm sure that this won't be the first time that a request like this gets posted but I need some advice from you experienced shooters out there. I am a newbie to modern compound bow archery. I'm a rifle shooter and used to shoot non-compound bows years ago but I've been out of it for ages and want to get back into it. I'm trying to figure out what to get in terms of a bow. I don't really have a budget limit, so if it turns out that the Hoyt Katera or the BowTech General is the best choice for me I'm good with that. I'd like to make this choice properly from day one. My problems however are the following. I'm 5' 6" and my DL is 26.5". I'm a reasonably strong guy so I can probably draw 70 lbs or maybe higher. I am much more concerned about the noise level and accuracy of the bow than about speed. (The deer won't care whether my broadhead hit it at 250 fps or 255). My biggest problem is the fact that I do not have any pro shops anywhere around me. The closest one is 9 hours driving away. So my options to test bows are virtually non-existent. Hence my request for help. Knowing my DL and draw weight capacity, and considering that noise and accuracy are the far greater concerns than speed, what bow would you folks suggest for me to get? I don't really know the market enough to be biased towards one brand name vs another, although aesthetics will certainly come into play at some point (I think the X-Force is ugly as hell for example...I know, I know, I've just offended all the X-Force shooters out there...:tongue:). I need a bow that works really well at a DL of only 26.5". What do you all think?

Thanks.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Smoke check!
665 Posts
You are probably going to hear this a lot but the best way to choose a bow is to go to a pro shop and shoot quite a few and decide for yourself. I realize that you say that is a good drive away from you. I will throw out a couple that you will not be disappointed with: I have a Mathews Drenalin and a Bowtech Allegiance. Both are very good bows. I like the Bowtech better though. You would not be disappointed with an Allegiance.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
While I don't have any direct experience with it, I would think the Bowtech Equalizer what be just what you are looking for. I've been impressed with Bowtech's other offerings, so I would assume that the Equalizer would be no different. The advantage with this bow is that it was designed for your draw length (maxs out at 27.5") and gets the most out of the short power stroke.

Good luck with your search!
Crayfish

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Well I have the Hoyt Katera XL and I have both cam styes they offer. The bow originally had the cam and 1/2 plus. This is Probably the one you would be most interested in. It is amazingly smooth and quiet. The draw has a bit of a ledge you pull through at the back of the draw, but after that you would be amazed. It's as quiet as anything I've been exposed to yet and when you release you have nearly 0 handle jar. This cam is adjustable but you might need to go on line to see if you can get it in your draw length. The other cam is the Z3 cam and 1/2. It's faster but a little louder. This cam is not adjustable so you would have to order for you specific draw length. This bow is a little heavier than allot of the competition. I would suggest that whatever you decide to get, you should have it set up for you at a pro shop. Once you get the bow you still have allot of options for rests, sights and quivers.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
My first two years of bowhunting I never once stepped foot into a pro shop. I bought from HuntersFriend. I still shop mainly online

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.