Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, I picked up an "ancient" Bear Whitetail Hunter at a garage sale for $10.00. Came with a bunch of arrows of differring sizes. I haven't shot since I was a late-teenager--far too many years ago. I figured for $10.00, I can't go too far wrong.

So, I'm looking for info on these "new fangled" compound bows. Can't find anything on this particular bow. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Also, I am a bit confused about what arrow to use. Last time I shot they were all wood and cost about a buck a piece. I think I understand the numbering just don't really understand how to choose what is best for my bow. I have a 27" draw if that helps/makes a difference.

Any URLs for places to buy arrows (once I figure out what I need), hints, suggested reading material or local shops would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
52 Posts
Boy it has been a while hasn't it. The whitetails are about all drawing social security now. I doubt if many are in actual use. It was popular in the mid 70s. It actually made modern bowhunting what it is. Do you know how to use the bow? Make sure the cables are over the little wheels with screws through them on the brackets attatched to the bow. These are your wt adjustments. The closer the handle it is the more poundage you pull. What kind of rest does it have? Is the draw lenght right for you? Does it have a rest and sights?

As for the arrows, I would think aluminums would be fine, NO WOOD ONES THOUGH! THey can explode in a compound and send pieces into your body, espec. arms. The numbers on the arrows mean the Diameter and wall thickness. The first 2 are the Dia. and the second 2 are the wall thickness. For instance a 2117 has a diameter of 21mm and a wall thickness of 17/1000ths of an inch. The size arrow depends on how much poundage the length of arrow and wt of head you iwll be using.

If you know this information you can go to easton archery and use their shaft selection chart to find what fits your bow. When I ran my shop, I found that a 2315 would shoot out of any bow over 45 and under 75 lbs.

There isn't much you can do as far as tuning that bow. There are ways of doing it, but I would just stick to rest movement to get the arrows to fly well. You can find lots of tuning information if you do a srch. Look at instructions on paper tuning and broadhead tuning.

These bows had some limb twis problems. YOu can usually tell by looking at it if it is twisted or by shooting problems. You can also tell it by looking at how the cable comes off the cams, is it straight.

These were fun ol bows to shoot. I killed 9 deer with mine before I sold it and moved up to a 2 wheeler.

Let me know if you get into specific ???s or problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Everything looks ok,i.e., no twist, cables running over wheels, etc.
The bow didn't have a rest when I bought it. I took it last weekend to a shop and they put a little flipper rest on it. Unfortunately the guy helping me was younger than the bow :D
so he didn't know much more than that.

I knew not to use wooden arrows just didn't know what size AL to use. Will check the Easton site today.

Wildbill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts