Archery Talk Forum banner

Newbie Needing Advice

626 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Dave T
I have several questions-- I am new to archery (8 months with compound) and am interested in traditional-- why I can't exactly say, just the challenge I guess. I currently hunt with my compound set up, and ultimately would like to do the same with traditional-- what would be easier/less frustrating to learn with-- a longbow or recurve? What poundage? I am 5'11" 190 lbs, lift weights regularly, very fit. I am looking to spend no more than about 400 for EVERYTHING-- bow, arrows, quiver, tips, armguard, etc. I saw some lower priced bows on hunter's friend.com made by bear and martin, but again, this is all new to me-- I realize this is a broad question but any help getting me headed in the right direction would be appreciated...
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,272 Posts
startin out, get a bow off ebay or the pawn shops. Start with about 30-35lbs, over 60 inches long. For now just get what catches your eye. After you've been shootin awhile you'll get a feal for what you want or like.....and it will change over the course of time. Once you have learned proper form, you can get a heavier weight hunting bow.

Most make the mistake of going straight to a hunting wgt bow, then waste months chasing bad form and habits, then wind up giving up or going out and getting a lightwgt bow and having to retrain themselves.

Do it right the first time, you'll be glad you did ;)

· Registered
22,135 Posts
Tony -

How about checking the other "trad" newbie posts, they read almost exactly the same as yours and come up often. The information hasn't changed and you aren't an exception.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=757868

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=752398

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=754144

First bow = 30-35# at your draw length (tops), 62" min length (longer IS better) and forget about hunting until you learn how to shoot. That basically means forget about this year. And yes, you should be able to do it for under $400. just don't exclude the used market.

Please remember: there is a big difference between what you can PULL and what you can shoot, longer bows are "usually" more stable than shorter ones; shooting a compond CORRECTLY is remarkably similar to shooting a stickbow correctly, the problem is that a compound doesn't have to be shot correctly to give hunting level accuracy.

Viper1 out.

· Registered
60 Posts
The first thing you need to do after you get a trad bow is get together with someone very knowledgeable as shooting traditional is all about form. I've seen plenty of people who can make a decent shot with a compound even when they have poor form, but to shoot a recurve or longbow, if your form suffers, your shot will as well.

Anchor, anchor, anchor, that's the biggest piece of advice I can give you. Stay consistent. If you start off with a 35# trad bow, make sure your arrows are matched weight-wise to your bow because if you're shooting arrows too heavy, you will get discouraged very quickly.

I can shoot up to a 45# recurve with no problems although I prefer to stay in the 35 to 40# range, I can shoot a compound up to 60#. I cannot however pull and shoot at 60# recurve. Keep that in mind as well. There is NO letoff with a trad bow.

My best shooting bow came off of ebay. A 70's model Black Widow. Paid $180 for her and she's a gem. If you go the route of ebay, make sure you examine pics really well for stress cracks and limb twists. Personally, I would recommend something like a brand new PSE Optima or a Greatree Mohegan. You can get these brand new for anywhere from $100 to $200 depending on where you find them online. If you go with something like the Mohegan, then you've only got around $100 in it if you decide that trad shooting isn't for you. Then, if you want to keep on at it, move up to a nicer quality bow and one that fits your personality.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.