Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just completed my bow hgunting class and im looking to buy a new bow that is a good price, but also come complete with sights and rest and everthing else i need to getr started, i was looking at top brands like bowtech and they just seem way to expensive. any links tyo bow packages that are good for a beginer but still can be good once io get better and reach the intermediate range would be great alos any names of anything basic bows that are of good prices would be really helpfull...thnx alot
ps. im not looking to spend more then 400 if thats any help to u

·
Registered
238 Posts
My suggestion would be to not look for "package" bows. You would be paying for accessories (rest, sights, quiver) that may not work for you, your shooting style, and shooting needs. You may end up replacing them in the future, spending even more money and time.

Have you looked in the classifieds here at AT? You could build your own bow to your likings within your price range very easy. In my opinion it would probably be a better bow than any "package" deal you may find, especially in your price range.

If you really want a new bow though, I would look for a bare one then equip it as you go and to your likings.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I will agree with the advice on shopping in the classifieds section of AT for a bow. You can find some really good deals on some very nice bows, and you have the advantage of knowing that the guy selling you the bow most likely has used it himself, and knows what he is talking about when he gives you the specs on it. You can also shop here for accessories (sights, rests, quivers, etc.) some good deals to be had. If you have any questions about some of the bows you see, post them up and someone will be glad to answer you. Most likely someone out there has the same bow you are looking at buying. Lots of good help on this site.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Classifieds

The classifieds may not be the best starting point unless you have someone that can help you determine draw length and help you get the bow set up. If you have never shot before or don't know much about bows you need to seek out someone that does locally.

If you know what bow will fit you and know what accessories you want then shop away in the classifieds!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I would say if you haven't already done it, head over to your local shop and shoot a few bows, have someone measure your proper draw length, etc, then start shopping, you may even find the right bow there. I also would advise against buying a "Package" bow, as often times they don't really have the best "Package." Check out www.huntersfriend.com , they have some good information there, and a comparison chart on most bows that are made today. Good Luck and welcome to the Bowhunting World!!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
HBG,
Check out this link, probably a great starter bow for someone just getting into it.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/2005_Hoyt_Reflex/reflex-gamegetter-bow.htm

Moderately fast, IBO 295fps, with a 90% forgiveness rating, and an Axle to axle long enough that you could shoot fingers if you wanted to just starting out, and a pretty good company by most accounts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I do recommend checking out some of your local shops as well, at least to try a few different bows. Sometimes they have a few used ones or a brand new, but 2-year old model sitting around they will discount a bunch.

I was in your position at the beginning of summer. I needed a new bow but simply could not afford a brand new Hoyt, Bowtec, Mathews, etc. The two local dealers here only sold these brands plus one or two others (PSE,Parker).
After researching here, I finally made the decision of buying a used one here (bare) then taking it to my local shop to get it set up (for a fee) and buy the accessories (sight, rest, arrows, new target, etc.).

There are many threads on this exact topic (good inexpensive hunting bows)you can do searches on. I did it, then researched a ton, and ended up buying a bare 2004 Newberry SB-1 here in the AT classifieds for $270.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.