Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New archer here... and i am still trying to figure out some things, so i thought i would ask around here.

I began archery 4 months ago on a free archery program on my city and at the end of it, if someone wanted he could join the archery club full time. We learned the most basic stuff (square stance, olympic anchor) and we shot at 10 and 20 meters. I loved it and i joined the club. They offered me the chance to try all the different disciplines and see which i liked (i tried barebow, longbows, compound and olympic bows). What stood out to me was that i enjoyed shooting with a sight more than gap shooting. It felt more precise, and aiming to the center of a target seemed easier to repeat.
So i decided to choose Olympic style and the club instructed me to begin with a barebow and slowly upgrade it. So, next week my first bow will be arriving (an olympic riser, Kinetic - Arios).
Some fellow archers in the club told me that i could try string walking since it is basically the same principle; you prefer aiming at the center, then try string walking. Although i have already heard about string walking i never tried it.

So, i am left now between 2 choices;
  1. Barebow with string walking (and changing my anchor)
  2. Barebow with gap shooting, keeping my olympic style anchor in order to be better at it for when i upgrade to olympic
The good news is that sooner or later i will aim at the center either way so my original problem is solved, the bad news is that i have no idea what to choose.
Any feedback? What have your experiences been with Barebow and Olympic? What would you do in my spot?
I do not have any particular goals in mind, there are some local competitions around that i could join in the future and that is about it. My first goal is to enjoy archery and if i am good at it then that's a great plus.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not a coach, but I am a terrible archer, so here's my 2 cents: Keep it simple. Better yet, get a real coach and listen to them. I wish I could. Have fun on the journey!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Barebow is a path to the Dark Side. Quick, easier, more seductive it is, but forever will it dominate your destiny...

I shoot an Olympic Recurve Bow. The skills to shoot an Olympic bow are different than Barebow and they are not interchangeable. If you attempt to adapt Barebow techniques to Olympic style, you are going to have to unlearn as much as you've learned in order to progress.

Master the proper form first because without proper form sights aren't going to help you much.

Patience young one.

LG

·
Registered
277 Posts
Between barebow and oly the feel of the shot is different and the anchor is usually different, but the fundamentals of a good shot are similar. They're not mutually exclusive and you can definitely apply lessons learned with one to the other.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If your stated goal is to shoot Olympic, why not learn to shoot Olympic?

String walking isn't Olympic and neither is gap shooting.

If it were me, I'd master Olympic form using a barebow and then add in the equipment when I was ready for it (consistency and accuracy being evident).

All roads lead to Rome but some roads are longer than others.

LG

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I'd pick the one you see yourself shooting in 2 years. They really aren't convergent paths.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you are mostly shooting 10 or 20 m, make a sight out of a match-stick and some masking tape. Then you can keep your low anchor and still aim at the target. The general consensus is that cheap sights are no good and wait until you can get a decent one (or decent on used).

That said, I used a Cartel junior II for my first year of shooting (all metal, solid, but lock screws no 'clicks' for adjustment). But because it was so simple it didn't fail in the ways those that are basically cheap knockoffs of the good gear tend to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts