Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I have some questions. I'm just starting to venture into the great world of archery. I've been doing research about the sport, equipment etc. and I'm hoping to buy my first bow this year. My main interest right now is target shooting. I've decided I want a recurve bow..just not sure what type. I love the look of traditional recurves (especially Martin)..but I also have the hopeful intention of getting into competition/tournaments someday, so should I get a machined riser bow (was thinking of Hoyt or Samick) instead? Is one type of recurve bow (classical vs machined riser etc.) easier to learn on? to shoot? to maintain?

Second question. How big a bow should I get? I've come across several different opinions about this. I'm currently 5' 2" (a minor though, so I haven't reached my full height yet), my "wingspan" is 66" which would translate into a 25.5" draw length? 26"?

I really want to start out right..any advice/opinions is welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Martin also has a nice machined recurve riser called the Aurora. It is fairly new so it has not been out much but some great shooters are using it Such as veteran Ed Eliason.

IF you are going to begin competitive archery I suggest investing in a coach. It is nearly impossible to learn all by yourself. What happens by yourself is that you can learn some bad habits which are VERY hard to break. It is best to learn the correct way at first so the wrong way is not even in your head. archery is over 90% mental.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The first bit of advice I will give you is dont go buy the latest greates doodad, thingamajigger of a bow for your first one. find a used one somewhere at a decent price and shoot it for a while.
I would lay odds it will not be the last bow you buy, so save a few bucks and get whatever you can get and play with it for a while.
Take notes of likes and dislikes about the bow over the course of time while you are shooting it...THEN go buy something else.
You probably ought to go find a good shop in your area that can help you, or see if there are any local clubs or the like where you can go see what others are shooting.
Good luck in your new addiction...uhhh I mean hobby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts