Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Just got some new strings for some recurves I inherited. First, will these strings need to be twisted or are they exact as is? I'm assuming the measurements are from the "notched" points where the strings attach to the limbs and not the tips of the limbs?

Thanks!!!

:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No help???

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Kind of hard to answer as the question sort of misses the point. How the various makers determine the marked length of a given model is hard to predict. Generally it is accepted that for recurves the string will be about 3" short of the marked length. Say you have a bow marked as 66", the proper string for it will be about 63" long.

Oh, and generally all strings need some twisting. The amount depends on the needed (correct) brace height.

Dave

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response, so your saying if a bow has 52" written on it, you buy a 49" string?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll need to twist them to get your brace height into the "sweet spot, but as long as they are the correct length for the bow, that should be it. Btw, how long have you been shooting traditional equipment?
Just starting, i inherited two Pearson recurves from my grandfather. Both seem to be in great shape, but i'm sure they havent been strung in years. I also got lots of old arrows, wood and some that look like fiberglass. And some old bear broadheads that still look sharp. All in all its got me interested in shoot traditional.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If possible

let a good traditional guy look at the bows for you to see if they are safe to shoot and always use a stringer to string your bows for safety sake and no chance of twisting limbs etc etc.. just a thought...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts