Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! So I'm so new to archery I don't even have my first bow yet. Getting that in the morning. I'm going with the Parker Sidekick Extreme (pink). After reading some reviews on here and talking to many friends I think that's the best for me to start on. At least to get a feel for shooting. I've never been hunting before either. Gonna start with a rifle this year but I'll definitely be ready for bow hunting next year. I could use some advice on resources of information. I have a lot of friends that hunt but most are in other towns/regions or don't have time to mentor a newbie this year. One or two can help with the hunting aspect but not the archery. Are there any good books, websites, other resources out there to learn types of arrows, judgement on products, etc? Any resources for hunting such as the work required after the shot? I realize Im ignorant in most aspects of this great sport so far but I'm ready and willing to put in the hard work necessary. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello beachgurl new here myself dont know what area of the country you are in but i might be able to help you understand that the real work begins when you have killed what ever type of game you are after. even if you are not able to butcher it you should at least know how to gut it (feild dress it) before taking it to processed. The best way to learn this is to have somebody help you the frist few times with you doing the actual work and the other person watching you do it. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
welcome to the world of archery,this winter join an archery league and find out early they usually start after x-mas good luck and have fun !

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome fellow archer.
First, read this: http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf
Don't expect to understand all of it,,, it has basics and advanced stuff.
I like to go to New Posts here on AT and read, I learn a lot just browsing.
And asking specific questions often gets some great advice from some great folks.
I started shooting in Apr this year with a 2009 Parker sidekick (pink) and I love that bow. I started off shooting close groups with the sidekick. (I've shot guns for years so that discipline helped a lot with bows) So I think you made a good choice.

I, too, will be hunting for the first time this year, I found an awesome coach and he very generously offered to put me in a place where I will be able to shoot deer and I'm sure he will also show me how to skin, clean, butcher, etc... it. So I'm looking forward to Sept 15th. :)

I would suggest you try to find a good coach, it will be invaluable to have someone show you archery steps to good shooting and safety rather than have several people helping you like I did,,, so far, bless them for doing it, I've had four people help me. It was good and bad, good in that I needed help, bad in that they teach differently, so I was learning different ways to do the same thing. If there aren't any in your area, (there weren't any in mine), you can go to the local pro shops and ask around, find a good shooter who is patient and knows how to explain things, and wants to teach, and offer to pay them to coach you.

good luck,

·
Registered
442 Posts
Welcome to Archery Talk Beachy. Any type of information you could every need and shake an arrow at is on here. Just kind of start with the basics and work your way up. Hopefully you won't get overwhelmed then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts