Archery Talk Forum banner

newbie to forum have some questions about new purchase

824 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  polock
first of all, I wanna say, HEY! I am finally going to retire my 15 year old PSE that weighs a brick and get a new bow. I just found this forum and thought it would be a great one to join for education and tech updates. Here is a few questions :darkbeer:

I did this kind of backwards.

I got a dozen Easton axis full metal jacket carbon arrows in 400 yesterday with a gift certificate. I wasn't going to be near the store ever again and I wanted to use it on something for my bow. With that being said, I want to match a bow to my arrows.

I have a 28" draw length and wish to pull 65-70lb's

I shoot a lot of still target shooting and do participate in fall deer and turkey hunts.

I dont' want to spend over 500.00 on a bow with all the goodies

I am looking at these compounds and need help on deciding which ones:
pse - brute
diamond - the rock
martin - bengal
browning - myst

do i want a whisker biscuit or a drop away rest? what are the advantages of both. I am completely out of my relm when it comes to all the new bow toys and technologies so any advice will be taken gratefully.

:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I would say to go out and shoo those bows if you can. It might make it easier on you.

Having said that the Martin Bengal, from what I've read and heard from guys who have them) are good bows.

The arrows you have should be good for a 70lb bow especially since you will cut them a little shorter to shoot that DL. I use some FMJ 400s out of a 29 inch at 70 lbs and they fly great.

As far as rests are concerned,

For strictly hunting purposes the Whisker Biskit is hard to beat. Full containment, arrow won't fall off if you are moving the bow around (great for spot and stalk).

But sometimes tuning them can be tough. You arrows fletching needs to be very good and maintained to keep the flight of the arrow good.

If I was going to set up a bow to hunt with and shoot target, I would use the Vapor Trail Limb Driver.

I use these on my target bows and really like them. Very simple to set up and they are kind of idiot proof, which is good for me!

Good luck

· Premium Member
8,881 Posts
do i want a whisker biscuit or a drop away rest? what are the advantages of both.
You might want to mount up a prong type rest to start with, as Drop away rests require some timing and tuning talent. The design was conceived to eliminate shaft contact with the rest, exactly the opposite of a Wisker Bisquit.

· Registered
311 Posts
i shoot an 08 martin bengal and i love it. i currently have a wisker biscuit on it and it is ok, will be putting on a drop away as soon as i find a good one.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
The bengal is just a awsome bow for the money and Martins customer service really cant be beat. Its a purchase worth making in all honesty

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the reviews i have seen about cam lean, and problems with the cables i have seen in the martins just kinda has me scared

i just didn't how much better the martin is over the stinger, cause i have heard nothing but great reviews about the pse stinger and most say it is way underpriced for what you are getting

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i think i am going to go to cabelas archery range and try out a bengal and a stinger

if the bengal seems 200 dollars better, then i'll go for it, but if the stinger feels as good or just a tad less, i am going pse cause with my gift cards i can pick up the stinger fully equiped for 150 bucks:darkbeer:

anything will be better than the old pse i have now, the thing has to weigh 7-8 pounds, at 25 yards you can sing a song before it hits the target, and 3" groups are great with it.

either way I will be sure to take pics and post em up after i get one and show you the results

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think after reading reviews on several sites, the pse stinger has way more perfect reviews than the bengal. i have read several different reviews about the bengal's limbs twisting causing the strings and cables to sit off center in the cams. So for a fully equipped stinger for the price of a bare bengal. I am going to go that route. and then some day if i want to upgrade. I'll go up to the best of the best. but until then from what i have read on this site and many others i am going pse :)...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.