Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be hunting out west for the first time this fall, as those who have seen my other thread know. I have hunted whitetails all my life and being a midwest whitetail hunter, I have been in the center of the debate about "mechanical vs fixed". Personally, I have always used fixed Slick Trick heads and have seen pass throughs on every deer I have shot with great blood trails, none of which have been more than 70 yards. I have also seen guys I hunt with have a great deal of success with Rage heads and some crazy blood trails, but I have also seen those same guys lose many deer due to a failure to open, bad shots, or stopping the instant they hit bone. My general consensus after spending some time reading is fixed blade is the way to go, especially on western big game such as elk or mule deer. I my bow is set at 29", 65# now. I hope to be pulling 70# at some point in the future. I also understand pass throughs are not required for a kill, but they sure help to kill an animal quickly and track it. Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track here. Thanks!

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Yes you are definitely on the right track. Stick with a good quality fixed blade broadhead and you will do well on your western game. Elk are big tough animals and you want to give yourself as much of an advantage as you can to get maximum penetration and ideally an entrance and exit hole. I've killed several elk with the Slick Trick Magnums and they have performed very well but I wanted to maximize penetration so last year I switched to a VPA 2 Blade.

· Registered
211 Posts
I hunt elk and muleys in eastern Oregon. I shoot a Magnus stinger buzzcut four blade. It has not let me down. Although in Oregon, legally I can only shoot fixed blade so the decision is made for me on the fixed vs mechanical debate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
8,876 Posts
You can not go wrong with a high quality, sharp fixed head, on any game. The Slick Trick fits that criteria, as do some others fixed heads.

· Registered
3,326 Posts
You are on the right track with fixed blades,get your bow tuned to the teeth and you will have a great shooting set up.I hunt with two blade broadhead like all the penetration I can get 400 gr and a single bevel works for me RPM 360 28 " draw and 62 pounds .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.