Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just getting into the crossbow world and bought a barnett quad 400 on black friday. Now i am looking to get it ready to hunt with...So with that in mind what accessories would people recommend? String dampeners (saw some bloodsport ones that looked cool), arrows (are the ones that come with it good enough?), broad heads (friend recommended schwackers but i have no clue), limb dampeners??? you get the idea...
thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had a quad 400 for 7 years. Just use it now for my back-up, but it is a decent xbow. The bolts that came with mine, were the Barnett carbon arrows, and shot as good as, or better than the BEE's I also tried. I always shot fixed blade, but that was just personal preference. It is a fairly loud bow, so dampeners wouldn't hurt, although I think I would stick to limb dampeners. Not sure what scope comes with them now, but that is the biggest problem I had with mine. The red dot was not to my liking, and after putting on a Hawke XB1R the bow was much more enjoyable. I had a cocking device on mine to start with, as I had just migrated to xbows due to surgery, and found it to be junk. Rope cocker worked fine however.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I don't have a Barnett, however I will say that choosing a scope/red dot that you like is probably more important than the actual weapon itself. I tried a number of crossbows before I bought my carbon express and I noticed that they all seemed like fine crossbows. I bought a replacement red dot before I even shot my crossbow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info... It has a crosshair type scope that came with it. It seems mediocre at best so I'll probably take yalls advice and upgrade the scope first. I have a question regarding broadheads. It seems like a popular crossbow broadheads is the slick tricks. The Barnett manual says that on fixed blade broadheads they should be there blade and line up with the fetching. Does this mean that the slick tricks are out as far as my rig is concerned?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I don't use fixed blades. I just can't get myself to use them when there are so many mechanical heads that are tried and true. That is only my opinion though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a Quad 400 and use Goldtip Devastors with brass inserts and use Magnus 125 gn Snuffers SS. The fixed blades do not really have to line up with the fletching. While louder then my vbow it is not as bad as some more expensive xbows.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Slick Tricks will work just fine. I have been using them for years out of numerous brands of xbows at speeds from 300 to 400+ fps without problem. They will normally shot about 1" different than field points, so be sure and sight them in and then replace or resharpen the blades. JMHO

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know if you have shot it much yet, but I got one for my dad for Xmas and when trying to sight it in, we couldn't get it on paper. After looking, the entire scope rail was canted left. I thought it was the scope at first, but after we backed away, it was very obvious what the issue was. We took it back to Cabela's and got another one and it was fine. It was frustrating and hopefully can save you some time if you have a similar issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.