Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get into archery, but using the (arm span)/2.5 equation, I am around 32" to 33" draw length. I've read where that is just an estimate and the actual draw length could go up or down.

It seems my choice of compound bows is limited with that draw length. My local dealer suggested a Hoyt Contender Elite or Vantage Elite with XT3000 limbs and Cam and a half to accommodate my draw length...but since he didn't have any, I would have to order it...and hope it fit.

Should I get a recurve and shoot that for awhile to establish a draw length and then use that as a basis for a future compound selection? Is there a correlation between a recurve draw length and a compound draw length?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The draw length will be the same if you shoot finger release on both.
If you use mechanical release on compound it will be aprox. 1 in. shorter.
Out of curiosity how tall are you?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a 32" DL and Shoot a Pearson. You should check out the Advantage. Long draw is not a problem and the bow is a Bad Mammer Jammer.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I am also 6'9" tall and have shot bows all my life, mostly traditional. I recently got a compound and after shooting many, purchased an Elite XLR and also just ordered a new Strother Archery bow, The Inspire. Both go to 32", which is my draw length. Your DL will not be the same with a traditional and compound. The trad draw tends to be about 1" shorter. There are also some other manufacturers that make a longer draw bow like Hoyt, Alpine, HCA.

·
I like shiny stuff.
4,546 Posts
That is weird, you guys are 11" taller than I am but your dl's are only 3-4" longer. Maybe not, I would just think guys of your statures would be pulling 34"+. I like to overthink stuff too though. lol.

·
Registered
537 Posts
L have been bowhunting since the 80's (yep Im old) and have shot many bows including Martin, XI, Hoyt, Diamond, HI country, and bowtech and I just bought a new Alpine. I went in looking to get a new Hoyt and ended up buying my first Alpine. I was really impressed with the quality and price and would recommend one if it fits. Might be a fluke but it shoots much faster than my last bow (bowtech guardian) with the same draw length, arrows and weight, plus it feels better to me. Just my plug for Alpine not knocking the others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts