Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new bowhunter/hunter. It is really overwhelming all the different scent and scent control products that are on the market. The products all seem very similar and they range in price greatly.

And one of my biggest issues is money, I already have a very expensive hobby in tournament bass fishing...so I have to be kind of frugal or thrifty when it comes to bow hunting. So I am limited to what I can spend on products.

My question is this, Native Americans and our other ancestors hunted wild game for survival and the majority of their food source. They had lesser weapons than us, and still were successful in their hunts...without using all of these scent control products that I see everyday.

Is the difference the amount of pressure game receives these days? Or is it just important to use the best of the best in scent control to fool mature trophy deer?

My plan for this year on my budget is this.

Wash clothing in baking soda.
Store in a large plastic space bag.
Dress in the field.
Spray boots and clothing with Scent Away spray.

And most important always hunt the wind.

Is this enough? Or do I need to research this more and spend the money on these new products? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Sounds good to me. The only other thing that I do is shower with scent free soap and dry off with a towel that has been washed in scent free soap before I go hunting.

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
Between my family and friends we kill over 100 deer a year without any scent control products. Hunt the wind and be smart about how you enter and exit the woods and you will be fine.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Liv4Rut said it best!!! It's simple hunt the wind!!!! Hunting is a big marketing industry anymore. Hunt the wind my friend!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
scent control is important if you are hunting deer. They say if a deer could talk he would be able to walk into any Waffle House and smell.. the coffee, bacon, eggs, waffles, salt, pepper sugar.. etc, etc.. they can distinguish different smells at one time. They have to to be able to survive as a prey animals. They will also associate smells with danger.. so if you use a certain lure and contaminate a area with your smell.. a deer could very well associate that smell with your smell and the next time he smells what you put out he goes on alert. So how you control your scent does not just mean what you put out in the air but what you touch and what you come into contact with.
I never wear my hunting boots on any other ground other that where I hunt.. you pick up forigen smells or odors on the s oles of your boots which will also hinder you in your hunt. So scent control as most on here will tell you is very important...I use unscented soap and I use unscented shampoo, then dry with a towel that was washed in unscented soap as well and only line dry my clothes as well as my towels and store them separate from all others. I dress in the woods when I can and never wear my hunting clothes in my truck . I carry a spray bottle of scent killer and it's home made as well so.. I try to keep cost to a minimal as well.. what you pay for one bottle of scent killer you can make almost 2 gallons for the same price..

·
Registered
15,595 Posts
Between my family and friends we kill over 100 deer a year without any scent control products. Hunt the wind and be smart about how you enter and exit the woods and you will be fine.
Right on, save your money on the spray as well. And just buy unscented bath soap.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. Theres no need to spend $300 for a pair of pants and jacket. Wash with scent free soap, store your clothes like you mentioned and hunt the wind.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
There are things you can get away with the longer you hunt and the same places. If you hunt other places you haven't figured out yet scent control makes the job that much easier. See how your plan works out and adjust if needed, we all do that.

As for myself I do much more and some of what I do the Native Americans did, they used scent control and cover scents, it just that their preparations were often part of some spiritual service so many don't bother to read or understand. Not all ate well and they didn't have the restrictions we do today. Their hunts at times were just running game over a cliff and when the white man came with their guns they never had it so good. I did read a story once about a challenge to N.A.'s had to see who could kill the most deer IN A NIGHT. The winner brought back 30 pelts.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
20 bucks a year on hunter specialties scent a way system and I am set.

My grandpa doesnt use anything but camp fire smoke, and I have yet to see that man go without a deer. he literally starts a campfire in his back yard, stands around it drinking coffee in the morning before the hunt and hits the woods.

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
Yep..doesnt matter what your scent control regimen is, they can smell you..

·
Vendor
3,562 Posts
Do a search for Trophy Blend and go to our web site and take a look, we offer a really great selection of products for the sportmen.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
The most economical clothing I have found is the silver fabric stuff...I use it for an under layer...It is light weight so I can wear early season and then use it under heavier thermals in colder weather...Outerwear I do not any of the scent control stuff...that all gets hit with 99%...and my boots only get worn when I get to the hunting area.

·
Arrow Chucker
4,113 Posts
Says it all right there. (I still use scent control items. Can't hurt right?:wink:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most important imho is hunt the wind. Using the soap and spraying down in the woods is something I do as well but not near as important as playing the wind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts