Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just wanted to chime in and introduce myself and also say how awesome this site is. I do have a few questions too! I have been absent from bowhunting for about 4 years and I'm really looking foward to starting back up. I have been checking this site out for about a week and have really learned from the posts and the reviews. I live in the upstate of SC (all my life except for some brief periods to Alaska and Kuwait) and bow season has already begun (9/15). I shoot a Browning Vision that I bought new in the Late 90's, I think! I have taken several deer with it and it still shoots decent, but I am ready to upgrade. Bows have come a really long way in the last couple of years so I am really behind the curve. I did want to ask an opinion question. I am looking to upgrade but I guess to a "mid-grade" bow. I've been looking at the Reflex Highlander, Darton Marauder, and the BowTech Tomkat. I am a little worried about the complexity of the Binary Cam system from what I've read. Anyway, I was just curious as to if anyone else has shot these bows in comparison and what they thought about them or if anyone has any other suggestions of a bow in this range. Thanks and look foward to the experience.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
hello

welcome to AT it is a good bunch of people here with tons of good info to learn from... i personally have not shot any of those bows but my new bow this year is going to be a new martin bengal, it might be worth looking at for you as well.. mark

·
Registered
771 Posts
Don't be worried about the Binary cams, its mostly hipe trying to discredit it. The binary system is awesome and is virtually maintenance free. Your best bet is to go shoot all of those bows and the pro shop and see which one you like best. You can get alot of opinions here but you won't know till you shoot them. I myself have never shot those bows but i have shot alot of the high end bowtechs, mathews, hoyts, and martins, and as you can see in my sig i love the bowtechs. But you may shoot them all and love the martin, so go have fun and shoot as many as you can till you find the one you like!
Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Welcome to the site and back to bow hunting. I have been bowhunting since I was a 12 yrs old but I got out of it when I turned 18 and joined the Navy. I didn't get back into it till about 5 yrs ago. I bought a inexpensive Hoyt on Ebay and used that for a few years. I shot two deer with it my second year. I then decided it was time to upgrade. I went to the local proshop about 75 miles away and I shot all the different bows that I was interested in. I shot a Mathews SQ2, Hoyt and a Bowtech Tech 29. I was impressed with the Bowtech because of the size and weight. It was also extremely fast and quiet. I chose the Tech 29 and I have been happy ever since. I don't have the Binary Cam on it like the new models do. It has the infinity cam which is really nice.

Like what PatriotDully said the best thing you can do is go and shoot the different models you are interested in. You won't know what feels the best for you until you do that. You surely don't want to second guess yourself after the purchase.

Also I bought my Tech 29 off of Ebay as well. I know that we should support the pro shop but I got my bow for 1/2 the cost that they were selling it for at the pro shop. I am always on a budget with hunting since I am a single income family with two kids and a wife. :confused:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Welcome aboard. There are alot of knowledgeable posters here. I learn something new here every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts