Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. Hunted for 30 years, now, on family property, but never owned a bow. After shooting friends bows for a few months & watching this forum, I finally bought a bow and activated this membership. I've had my bow (Martin Cheetah) about a week and have more questions than I can count...any and all advice will be much-appreciated.

I understand "dry fires" can be catastrophic. I occasionally see guys on here talking about accidentally dry-firing now & then, so what can I do to help avoid doing such?

All I know about bow maintenance is to keep the string waxed, don't leave it in a hot truck and oil the cam axles now & then. What else should I know about basic maintenance?

I'm practicing in my back yard. Good backstop behind target, but I don't always point it RIGHT AT the backstop while drawing...what are the odds that a properly tied-on string loop would/could ever just "let go"? Naturally, I'm nervous about sending an arrow into unknown residential territory...

I'm not a speed-junkie (yet:), but what's the best way to find the optimal arrow for my setup? I ask because my firend's Flatline 500's shoot 30 fps faster from my bow than my Easton Axis, so I've learned there can be a big difference. Are there charts or is this sort of thing a trail-&-error situation?

And for all you pros...what other wisdom would you have for a new bow owner?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Welcome to Life @ Fulldraw! This is a very good forum for ANY info about archery/bow hunting. As for your initial ?s: ANYTIME a bow is drawn without an arrow nocked there is a chance for a dry fire, so my advice is to not draw your bow without an arrow. I always check my bow before shooting it. Inspect the cams, limbs, strings and cables, and all accessories for damage or defects before drawing it back. Its alot less painful that way if something is amiss. I try to point my bow at the target while drawing so if something does come from together my arrow doesnt go streaking into the great unknown. This has happened to me in the past and it is a very uneasy feeling. As far as your arrow speed and weight, For every 30 grains of arrow weight you will see about 10 foot/second difference in speed. Most all bow mfgs will only warrantee there bows to 5grains per pound of draw weight. So a 70 lb bow should not shoot less than a 350 grn arrow etc.There are alot of extremely experienced archers on this site, so dont be shy with any ?s. Once again, Welcome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am also new to this forum but i have been shooting for a long time . my best advice is if you are shooting a release always draw the bow with your finger behind the trigger and not in front till you are settled in if thats the type you shoot . And welcome .

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Welcome to the campfire!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Welcome to Life @ Fulldraw! This is a very good forum for ANY info about archery/bow hunting. As for your initial ?s: ANYTIME a bow is drawn without an arrow nocked there is a chance for a dry fire, so my advice is to not draw your bow without an arrow. I always check my bow before shooting it. Inspect the cams, limbs, strings and cables, and all accessories for damage or defects before drawing it back. Its alot less painful that way if something is amiss. I try to point my bow at the target while drawing so if something does come from together my arrow doesnt go streaking into the great unknown. This has happened to me in the past and it is a very uneasy feeling. As far as your arrow speed and weight, For every 30 grains of arrow weight you will see about 10 foot/second difference in speed. Most all bow mfgs will only warrantee there bows to 5grains per pound of draw weight. So a 70 lb bow should not shoot less than a 350 grn arrow etc.There are alot of extremely experienced archers on this site, so dont be shy with any ?s. Once again, Welcome!
very good advice here.... welcome to AT:)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
as to the question at hand it , if you believe in murphy's law.
Murphy was an optimist. He believed if there was a lottery for losing he would win it.
Yes If your shooting in a residential location, first make sure it's legal to do so.That being said. If its legal to do then with all due diligence make sure that You can not miss the target or (shoot such that it would go anyplace than where it could safely be fired.
Make sure you have a well backed up lane to shoot. If you need to build a cover so you can not launch it into a neighbors home You need to do so. A bow is a weapon. You should take NO chances that a "d" loop letting go from the string will fire the arrow prematurely than any other accident. To not take such care leaves you guilty of whatever fate happens from such accident.
If your raising the bow up to draw it and not keeping it on target as you draw, your likely trying to draw more pounds than you should. You would be better to draw aiming down a little than having an arrow launched through your neighborhood.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome, Never draw a bow with out a arrow or get the true fire release that can not fire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts