Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure these questions have been asked 1000 times, but I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. So, with apologies in advance, here goes the 1001st time.

As I explained in my recent Genesis Bow thread, I am very new to archery, getting involved because my granddaughter showed an interest, but leery of getting in too deep financially until I see if she is going to stick with it.

I was in Dicks the other day, and was looking at arrows. As I expected, they are not cheap. Since I don't know how long her interest will last (she's a teenager), I don't want to spend too much money, but I also don't want junk.

Dicks has some Easton aluminum arrows for $4 each. The guy at the store said aluminum was better than wood or fiberglass, but not as good as the carbon arrows. In other words, not the best, but not bad.

He thought they'd be a decent choice for getting started, so I bought a dozen, and some bullet-tips. But when I got them home, I noticed that the notch and the cock-vane are heading the same direction on all of the arrows. This seems wrong to me. Shouldn't the cock-vane and the notch be perpendicular?

If so, I don't see a way to change that. The plastic nock appears to be glued on.

Should I take them back? If so, any recommendations of what to get without breaking the bank.

Unfortunately, the only other place in town that sells archery equipment is a family-owned store that I refuse to do business with any more because they ripped off a friend on a gun-related purchase once.

TIA

·
Registered
346 Posts
What type of rest is she shooting? Many rests require the cock vane up, and you would be fine unless she is shooting off the shelf with a small prong style rest then it would need to be out.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
yes, we need to know the type of rest and also the type of fletching on the arrow.

What kind of arrows are they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coming from a shotgunning background, I guess I should not be surprised that this isn't as easy as a beginner might think.

The fletching is thin plastic. We don't actually have a bow yet, but I have been looking at the Genesis bow which, according to what I've read, has a thin wire rest.

That said, a coworker who bowhunts called me today and said he knew a guy who had an older compound bow that he would be willing to sell. He seemed to think that the bow the man is selling would work for what I want, and that I'd be able to save some money until I see if she really likes the sport.

He also told me to take the arrows back when I explained what the situation was.

Thanks for your replies though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts