Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
Yes I know that bow is now 10 years old but I love it so much... it is harmonious in its shape, its deflex ish riser is quite forgiven and it is dead quiet.

I have been shooting that bow a little bit after I bought it but then I had to stop archery and now I'm back and I'm looking to get more speed into the arrow.
It has the original quite round and smooth pulley/cams and I'm looking to know if i could use newer cams on these limbs to get that bit more speed.

Any idea or am I just simply looking for the impossible?

cheers.
G

·
Registered
998 Posts
Anything is possible....if you have enough money! On a serious note, the first step I would take is to measure the axle to axle at brace then take the same measurement at full draw on a drawing board. This will give you the amount of deflection your limbs have with the current cam system. Once you know that then we can help you find a cam set that will come close to that deflection and figure out the string specs. PSE has several cams within the "Drive" line that coiuld work. The original Drive cam does not have a lot of limb deflection but the Mini-Drive cam does. Then you have the Drive Mid cam that sits in the middle of those as well as the Hyper Drive cam, but that cam system is for center pull risers. You also have the Mini Evo cam system which is a good combination of smooth draw and speed but it has a soft back wall with the stock string stops. Anyway, just get some measurements and we can go from there. Hope that helps!

Troy.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
can't do it. save yourself the money and buy a new bow. by the time you paid for new cams, limbs, strings you could buy a PSE stinger that will outperform your current bow

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know, you could be right actually about changing but I really love the feel of that bow and it literally a brand new bow. Bought in 2008 new and only shot it for few weeks before I had to stop. I know that sinc that time bows have evolved but a 10 remains a 10 and as I was able to hit the gold a good bit before I should still be able to do it again. Despite other archers shooting much more recent bows. And eventually I may get a new PSE... like the Supra but can't really change right now.

The set of 'cams' that came with the bow are the S8-3 and I somehow also got a set of S8-5 which look that bit bigger with their corresponding string and bus cables for a 29" draw length which is mine.
I wonder what would I gain to these if I switched??

more speed, smoother shoot I'm thinking?

Thx Troy I'll try to get that measured this sunday as I have a team event I'll get one of the guy to help me... cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything is possible....if you have enough money! On a serious note, the first step I would take is to measure the axle to axle at brace then take the same measurement at full draw on a drawing board. This will give you the amount of deflection your limbs have with the current cam system. Once you know that then we can help you find a cam set that will come close to that deflection and figure out the string specs. PSE has several cams within the "Drive" line that coiuld work. The original Drive cam does not have a lot of limb deflection but the Mini-Drive cam does. Then you have the Drive Mid cam that sits in the middle of those as well as the Hyper Drive cam, but that cam system is for center pull risers. You also have the Mini Evo cam system which is a good combination of smooth draw and speed but it has a soft back wall with the stock string stops. Anyway, just get some measurements and we can go from there. Hope that helps!

Troy.
Hi Troy,
axle to axle is 40" at rest and 36" at full draw.
Now I have a set of S8 5... atm i have the std S8 3 fitted.
did my first shoot at 50m today... first for the past 12 years. Not good scores but I was not looking for scores... this was the longest time I shot in that time... my bow arm is not as strong as it used to and my release is not as smooth as it used to be but good to shoot again.

my limbs are the standard cf Mach Pro limbs.

Best. G

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hi Troy,
axle to axle is 40" at rest and 36" at full draw.
Now I have a set of S8 5... atm i have the std S8 3 fitted.
did my first shoot at 50m today... first for the past 12 years. Not good scores but I was not looking for scores... this was the longest time I shot in that time... my bow arm is not as strong as it used to and my release is not as smooth as it used to be but good to shoot again.

my limbs are the standard cf Mach Pro limbs.

Best. G
With 4" of deflection, I'm not sure any of the more modern cam systems will work. The modern cams were designed for the low deflection "x-force" limbs. I'll take some measurements on a few of my bows just to be sure.

Troy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Troy,
I've changed the cam from the standards S8 3 to the S8 5 which are bigger.
I've actually changed the string and cables too. For now I'm shooting at a bale to stretch them before I re-do the tuning and see.
At first shot it feels smoother... don't know the impact on the speed.

Thank you for looking at it but I think I this point I will leave it with these cams and then once I get my form back I'll look to upgrade my bow then to a supra or Xpression if I'll find someone with a good one from your side of the world willing to accept selling to me across the pond lol ...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Troy,
I've actually changed the string and cables too. For now I'm shooting at a bale to stretch them before I re-do the tuning and see.

Thank you for looking at it but I think I this point I will leave it with these cams and then once I get my form back I'll look to upgrade my bow then to a supra or Xpression if I'll find someone with a good one from your side of the world willing to accept selling to me across the pond lol ...

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Hi Troy,

Contact me if your looking to buy new. Archery School of the Rockies, we are an authorized online PSE target bow dealer and we will ship overseas.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Contact me if your looking to buy new. Archery School of the Rockies, we are an authorized online PSE target bow dealer and we will ship overseas.
Hi, been Shooting PSE ever since I started shooting over 20 years ago... Still have my original Laser2000 riser and wooden composite limbs from 1989. Obviously not shooting with these limbs anymore as I built a custom bow using the Deflex riser and putting Mach 5 cf limbs with with Merlin cams (first ones I could find with a draw stop at the time) and home made stings and cables. (did my PB indoor with that 287 with the inner ten back then)

I've had a few PSE over the years but shot all my PB, national records and won all my titles with PSE bows... and now that I'm coming back to the sport, my son shoots PSE (a fever) and hopefully will upgrade from that PSE Mach pro over the next few months. But the problem with new bows is that on top of the bow and shipping I have to paid custom and VAT on entry to Europe so doesn't that well on new bows.

But second hand yes as they are cheaper, still in great conditions, no custom or vat to pay, just the bow and the shipping to pay. So I'll probably look at a 2017 or maybe 2018 second hand then.

Out of curiosity how much would be shipping to Dublin, Ireland?

Cheers
G

1 - 10 of 10 Posts