Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice - Have been shooting shooting shooting a Samick Sage #35 and #50 for 3 years now and would love to upgrade. Looking at:

1. Bear Grizzly - #45
2. Bear Montana - #45 or #50

I predominantly am a back yard shooter, but do attend 3D shoots and have killed 2 turkeys with my Samick. I have shot both Bears and am torn on what to do. I feel like the Montana shoots a bit smoother, and is more stable/ forgiving, but it is big for hunting. The grizzly is great for hunting in terms of size, but shoots a bit more "snappy" or feels a little less controlled. Does anybody have experience with both bows or have any advice for me?

Thanks!

· Registered
10,923 Posts
I have shot and owned (several of) each. I have since sold them all, never really did get with either. The Montana has a following but in my mind is a lackluster longbow when compared to a nice R/D longbow. I would recommend looking for a nice used Savannah or if your budget permits a Tolke Whip is a fantastic longbow. Grizzlies have a mystique about them but in reality just are not anything special. For the $400 asking price one could do better. I would recommend being patient, check the classifieds for a while. You will likely be able to pick up either of the bows you suggested for 1/2 the retail price and maybe luck into something very (Bob Lee, Toelke, Dryad, etc) nice at a big discount. Good luck with your search.

· Registered
2,648 Posts
I agree with Centershot about being patient. You would benefit from going to a regional shoot or stump shooting gathering and just shooting some other bows if you can. Nothing wrong with the Montana or grizz, but you may really fall hard for another bow once you shoot a few more.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
The classifieds! There are many guys who are constantly buying new bows and you would be amazed at how smooth and forgiving a custom r/d or recurve can shoot. Just check every day till you see one that fits your draw weight and length. Do a little research and go for it. If you shoot it a while and do like it sell it in the classifieds. If your right handed you will see some good bows.

· Registered
3,594 Posts
I own both and never shot either one of them, but have shot others. Why I'm keeping them is beyond me??? Once you shoot a nice R/D longbow, you'll see a large step above what the Montana can do. The Grizzly is too short for my accuracy requirements. In order to make a suggestion I'd have to have a dollar figure from you.

Congrats on the turkeys. I've killed 19 species and consider it the hardest I've run across. Most of my hunting for the last 25 years has been with a longbow. The past couple of years I've been hunting with the longbow, but playing with ILF for a couple of reasons. I didn't know anything about them and I know that because of some physical problems I'm going to have to drop way down in weight. If you want efficient that is the way to go.

Bowmania

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.