Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
New Kid
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'll be coming out to Mechanicsburg to shoot the NFAA field nationals in a couple weeks. Got family in the area.

Can anyone tell me what the course is like? Terrain?

Will there be vendors there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello! I'll be coming out to Mechanicsburg to shoot the NFAA field nationals in a couple weeks. Got family in the area.

Can anyone tell me what the course is like? Terrain?

Will there be vendors there?

Thanks.
A few venders and fairly flat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
A few vendors and manufacturers, Lancaster will have their truck there of course.

The course is pretty flat. A few targets with up and down slope but nothing major. No cuts more then a 1/2 yard if memory serves me correctly.

If you go back and search threads started by me in 2009 you'll find pics from Nationals that summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
New Kid
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brown Hornet, thanks for that monster of a post about 2009! And aside from any amusement value, it was highly informative. :D

So the targets look like they are stacked foam?

My son will be shooting Cub and he's also looking forward to meeting some of the pros. Is it common to run into them on the course or in the vendor areas?

Is it easy to get food during the day at the club? Or should we pack our own lunches?

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Brown Hornet, thanks for that monster of a post about 2009! And aside from any amusement value, it was highly informative. :D

My son will be shooting Cub and he's also looking forward to meeting some of the pros. Is it common to run into them on the course or in the vendor areas?

Is it easy to get food during the day at the club? Or should we pack our own lunches?
No problem. I figured it would be much faster for me to find the post. Glad you enjoyed it.

The targets then were Blocks. Not sure about now.

You'll see Pros on the practice range and walking around. But you won't run into them shooting. The Pros and Male FS generally are one the course by themselves.

You'll have to pack lunch. Not all ranges run past the club house. But there is no break and no time given to stop for lunch.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
What are the targets made out of . Good to see you back Hornet
Thanks buddy. Range Blocks back then. Could be different now though.

·
New Kid
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there multiple start times each day? Meaning, you get a target assignment and a start time? Or does everybody start at the same time?

What happens if you don't want to shoot all five days?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You can shoot 3 days, any combo of field,hunter, animal you like ...schedule is field, hunter, animal, field, hunter.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
You can shoot 3 days. I'm only shooting 3 this year.

Be there Thursday at some point.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Are there multiple start times each day? Meaning, you get a target assignment and a start time? Or does everybody start at the same time?

What happens if you don't want to shoot all five days?
Everyone starts at the same time. Shotgun start.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
There are some advantages to the 3-5 day venue even if I don't care for two days Mulligans at a National tournament. A couple of years ago after shooting a 543 on Coyote (1st hunter round), in Darrington, I slid down a hill coming off the course. I had severe back pain and could not get out of bed on the day of the 2nd Field round. If not for this Mulligan round, I would have been eliminated. I shot the last two days with severe pain, It turned out to be a 1.5 cm stone lodged in my ureter that had moved when I slid down the hill. After spending a couple of thousand dollars and driving a 4,000 mile round trip But if you want my advice, I would much rather have a 3 day (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) tournament like Vegas or Redding. No Mulligan days and only one day off for the working. At Darrington, the retired seniors out numbered all the other archers, because they could.

If you decide to shoot only 3 days, be sure and shoot the last 3 days and not the first 3 days because for some reason, the animal round is shot on the 5th day and not on the 3rd day unless they changed.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I forgot to mention that the field Nationals is not like a 3D round. The rules are required to be followed. No pencil wripping allowed and friends and family do not shoot together and one cannot see the high score for the day and then go out to beat it. You are put into a group of archers shooting the same score as you do. There will be two score keepers and one person will be picked to call the scores. Both score cards are used and the scores must come out the same. There is a shotgun start and all archers must be on their target when it starts.

If someone can cheat, my hat off to them. I always carry a set of rues in my quiver because it is amazing how many people can shoot a National tournament without knowing the rules. The shot arrow rule is the most abused. At a NFAA Indoors, an arrow that lands less than 10 feet from the archer can be shot again but at the outdoor Nationals, any arrow propelled by the string is a shot arrow. I heard of one guy that believed that if he could lay down on the ground with one toe touching the stake and by reaching out as far as he could with his bow and can touch the arrow with the end of his stabilizer, he can shoot the arrow again.He won his division and is a National Champion.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
The animal round is on Friday....

And friends can shoot together....not by choice. But I know a lot of folks. Just about every round I've shot i shot with a friend on every round. But I know a lot of people heck one year I shot 2 rounds with my roommate.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The last time I was at Mechanicsburg in 2015, the targets were a combination of stacked foam and celotex. Some targets had the celotex middle replaced with foam sheets, while others were all celotex. I would recommend taking plenty of arrow lube and something to scrape the celotex residue from your arrows, like a pot scratcher pad. They may have made changes since 2015.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
As someone that does a lot of arrow pulling from celotex and all materials really. When I shoot field I ALWAYS am the one pulling arrows and calling. EVERY TIME.

Lube makes pulling and build up worse. Trust me. You think it helps. It doesn't. You get more stuff caked on. And it makes your arrows harder to pull.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Arrow lube is for foam...as in 3D.

For field you need a puller and a scraper. That's it.

·
New Kid
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Why? Because I'm shooting the 3 day format not 5 day... Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts