Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we are about to close another NFAA Field Round season I just can't help but wonder what has happen to all of the field shooters. We hear all the time how a lot of people would like to try to shoot a Field round but I just don't think that it ever happens. We have had such a down turn in field archery over the last few years that I don't think it will continue to survive.
All the field ranges across the usa that we used to have has almost all gone by the wayside. What can we as a group of archers do about this problem/ Has todays archers reached the point that they just simply don't care if field archery survive or not. Less hear a lot of ideals what the problems of field archery is and how it can be fixed.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Field

If I had the option of shooting a Field round or 3D, I'd probably give up 3D. Just don't have as many Field dates to choose from around here. If more clubs would offer at least a partial round with their 3D it would probably gain a bit more popularity.

·
Registered
825 Posts
field ranges

Don't have a clue how to fix the problem,wished I did. :cry: I think (jmo) that the younger people shooting now don't give a damn. :eek: It's too much work to keep a range going and they don't have time to mess with it.We have tryed everything around here to get more people involved with know luck.We have offorded free membership,free shooting,free food,free drinks,and know luck. :beer: All they want to do is just show up and shoot.We even raised the membership dues for the ones that don't want to work,hopeing that would help.They just paid the difference and went on thier way. :confused:

Good luck if you can fix the problem.

I hope it doesn't die out completely,I've got a ton of money tied up in target equipment.

Larry

·
Registered
653 Posts
The problems of field are twofold: cost and perception. A 28 target range costs money, work, time. Targets and awards cost money, you have an entire infrastructure in place for 30-50 shooters 6 times a year.
3D, you toss thirty targets out in the woods, hammer in some stakes and sit back and have 100 shooters. (I know that's a gross oversimplification, so don't start, I'm not in the mood today).

Perception: It takes too long, it's too complicated, it's too far, there are no courses near me, I'm not that good, my pins only go to 15 feet, Traditional has to shoot 80 yards, there's no class for Hemmaroids, there's too many classes, I might have to practice to get over 500, Ted Nugent doesen't shoot field so why should I, I fear the NFAA's God like authority, there are no bathrooms in the woods, I might get lost, gas costs too much for my $50,000 pickup truck, it starts too early, my camo clashes with my bow, my arrows make my ass look fat and so on and so on........

So what do we do? Sell your archery club and buy Nintendo for your kids. Give it up people: it's over.

(written from the wrong side of the bed this morning)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Geesh Phil

Have we not had enough coffee this morn? :eek:

Once the course is in place, is it not less costly for targets compared to 3Ds?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Perception

Tafkas,
Your dialog may have been written from the wrong side of the bed, but your points are well taken.

·
Registered
653 Posts
No. Thirty 3D verses 75 (+/_) bales or 28 butts of some type or another.
All of which get shot out in the center and then have to be rotated or replaced. Yardage markers-some type or another about five per shooting lane.
Completely cleared shooting lanes, preferably covered with astro turf. Signs and maps to direct the archer from position 1 all the way to postion 2 (although I have to say when it comes to getting lost, you 3D guys are the best!! There's nothing like a guy in head to toe camo asking you where the first stake is after walking back unable to find it. Why I stay home in October.)
I'd honestly say it's about even except for the fact that a field range takes a larger amount of maintenance and requires set real estate. You would have a hard time setting up a Field course for one weekend, but it's done all the time for 3D.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Tafkas

Tafkas said:
No. Thirty 3D verses 75 (+/_) bales or 28 butts of some type or another.
All of which get shot out in the center and then have to be rotated or replaced. Yardage markers-some type or another about five per shooting lane.
Completely cleared shooting lanes, preferably covered with astro turf. Signs and maps to direct the archer from position 1 all the way to postion 2 (although I have to say when it comes to getting lost, you 3D guys are the best!! There's nothing like a guy in head to toe camo asking you where the first stake is after walking back unable to find it. Why I stay home in October.)
I'd honestly say it's about even except for the fact that a field range takes a larger amount of maintenance and requires set real estate. You would have a hard time setting up a Field course for one weekend, but it's done all the time for 3D.
In your opion since it will cost too much money to set up and maintain a Field course which everyone say that the round takes too long to shoot and distance is to long also, What type of a target round other than 3D rounds which we already have ,should we be shooting as a target round.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Whatever Ted Nugent says we should shoot.

My understanding is that once we work out the logistics, each state will have 28 deer released with field/hunter targets glued to their sides. Now don't bother me, I'm in a bad mood.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have only been back in archery for four years, after a thirty-five year lay off. This is my observation. The cost of seting up a Field range and maintaining it has nothing to do with why we can't get anyone to shoot Field. With the cost of Bows and Arrows now a days, the only people getting into Archery in the first place is Hunters that want to take advangage of the early Archery season. Then they are introduced to 3-D and they like it because it is a hunting game that will hone their shooting skills. And most of them shoot in the Hunter Class and I have been told by many of them that they are not going to shoot over 35 yds.

As you can see I am not in a good mood. The Club that I belong to maintains a NFAA approved 14 target Field Range and I am the only Member out of 100+ members that shoots Field Archery.

Robert

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Down Fall Of Field Archery

First of all I think Field Archery and 3D archery are both great and compliment each other. To me it seems the 3D club and the Field archery club here in our area are both triving and I think the reason for their success could be because not only do the leaders of each club work together during the 3D summer tournaments, but the 3D archers seem to turn out for the winter indoor leagues both at the local pro shop and the local Field archery club's indoor weekly shoots as well.

Here at the indoor shoots the two types of archers mingle all winter and when the outdoor season arrives again, the Field archers always invite the 3D archers to come and join them at the state shoots like the State Animal, Field, Hunter, and the American Round. These are archery rounds some of the 3D archers have never encounter and I am amazed at how fast they become addicted just like me to 3Ds.

I am still a hard core Field archer, but my archery just got better when just the last three years I took up the 3D after my club offered a rangefinder's class at my request, ( that's a long story ),and now I am hooked with 3Ds just like the 3D archers are with the Field round.

In short, maybe it might not hurt to mingle with each other and invite them to your shoots as well.
The 3D shoots I have attended are well organized and so are the Field shoots and those that are not attractive to the archers, you know like clean bathroom facilities, someone to furnish lunch and snacks, plenty of shade and water, ( it's hot and dry here ), and some added fun activities to boot, are not well attended. The 3D club offers weekly and three traveling shoots a year. The Field club also offers weekly shoots all year around, plus a state shoot at least once a year. They seem to love that much archery activity here. It's a lot of work, but if you want results, the whole club has to work for it if they want it bad enough and that's what describes both of the clubs here in Farmington New Mexico, the San Juan Archers and the Four Corners Bowhunters. Two real great clubs. :thumbs_up

·
Occam's Razor
8,800 Posts
The archery club of which I am a member only hosts a 3d shoot once a month. The practice range is ok, but under used. The smallest butt is 80 yards. I think there are only 2-3 of us who dare shoot it. I once suggested a field range, as we could use the same layout for lanes already established for 3d. Can you hear the lead baloon hitting the ground? Pin shooters can't/don't/won't shoot field.

The county gun range put in a better practice range for archery and then some guys from another club convinced/helped them to put in a 14 station field range. Cost $4 to shoot. I think that there are at least 4-8 people who shoot it for an entire county. I only wonder when it will close...............ck

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Ttt

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
May Be More Simple than That

Maybe the decline is simply the result of Field Archer's failing to get their children interested when they had the chance. A whole generation has gone by since Field Archery was in it's hay days and 3-D came on the scene. Most of the archers today never shot a Field round and most don't even know the game exists. Field archery is not a disipline that can be mastered in six months and I don't think kids today are use to putting hard effort over extended periods of time into anything. I have thought for a while that the real root of the problem is that the NFAA and WAF don't put much emphasis on this end of the sport. Competitive archers follow the Pros and the Pros follow the money. That is the main reason 1600 people will show up to shoot Vegas and we think we have really done something if 500 people show up to shoot the Outdoor Nationals. Do whatever is necessary ($) to make the Pro's shoot Field Archery and the others will follow. If this does not occur in the next few years the fate of Field Archery is sealed because the bulk of those keeping it alive are 50+ and when they go, Field will be just something you read about in the "remember when" articles in the archery magazines. 3-D seems to be starting it's decline as well. Just four years ago when we moved to Vermont, there were 3-D shoots every where and now it is almost completely gone. There was an Outdoor National held in Jay Peak Vermont in 1975 and I can't find one person up here who attended or even knows who put the shoot on. Really sad in my opinion...such a great game and most will see it fade into the sunset without ever knowing what they missed.
Jbird

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
JBird,
I hate to admit it, but I think you are indeed correct....the mold may well be already cast..

Here's a take on the situation...BOTH venues need some sort of a shot in the arm....and I think that the direction the game is going to take is......

considering REDDING TRAIL SHOOT drawing so many shooters for MARKED distances, shooting TWO" arrows per target and taking 11 hours.....and nobody seems to mind it all that much....

Considering 3-D will be eventually offering BOTH the "estimating" divisions and the "rangefinding" division.....

The direction is 3-D....and UNMARKED and "rangefinding" at the same time...but probably not with the groups mixed with 'estimators' and "rangefinders" shooting in the same group together.

It is easier to set up a 3-D for "rangefinders" because the stakes don't need to be MARKED and MEASURED....just pound them in the ground and let the rangefinders figure it out...

Can use the SAME stakes as the "estimators" too....just don't mix the groups. No real need for a separate range...if people are worried about cheating....it goes on anyways, and those that want to cheat WILL CHEAT...too bad, but the way it is....

Another often overlooked GREAT GAME for FIELD...is the FITA field UNMARKED field round.....that is a hoot to shoot....and people still shoot occasional perfect scores on it...but it isn't EASY....wonder if the 3-Ders could "guess" those to within 1/2 yard or not? Should be able to....I think.

field14

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The pros didn't show at the NFAA Nationals because the IBO World and ASA Classic were the following weekends. The money was there, but the time to shoot all week and then follow up the next weeks required just too much time for them to consider the nationals. I am not sure that has any impact though with regard to the influencing the masses to shoot field. I doubt if the pros will ever be big field archers as their focus is totally on 3D with good reason and there isn't enough time for both.

There are several real problems with field archery - almost too many to mention. I really foresee a dim future for field archery in terms of growth. A more likely scenario is a slow death.

Exposure is one of the most significant issues. Field ranges are few and far between in many places. 3D events make more money and are a lot easier to setup/maintain as well as more popular so field ranges have been converted to 3D.

Many feel field archery takes too long. 5-6 hours versus 2-3 hours for a 3D round. Shots are too long and the rules are confusing. With one complete generation bypassed, field archery is a seniors' game now with few youngsters involved to carry it on.

Resources are an issue also. Field is much more expensive in terms of land requirements, manpower, and target costs. A 3D range requires much less land and although expensive, targets are easily replaced while field targets are a big pain to replace/maintain. Greater participation makes the cost of 3D targets less than a field setup. The myriad of classes in field archery make shoot awards too expensive for a club to make a reasonable profit (often).

Remedies:

Introduce your buddies to field archery

Combine field archery with marked distance 3d animal round

Make NFAA field archery rules easy - not designed to trick the shooter

Revise the rounds to shorten, reduce resource reqts, and increase interest

NFAA take the lead in promoting field archery (how about a shortened version
of the field round as a side event at ASA venues - like the long distance shoot or the Simms known distance ranges?)

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Roger,
As usual, very ASTUTE when you said: QUOTE:

"Remedies:

Introduce your buddies to field archery

Combine field archery with marked distance 3d animal round

Make NFAA field archery rules easy - not designed to trick the shooter

Revise the rounds to shorten, reduce resource reqts, and increase interest

NFAA take the lead in promoting field archery (how about a shortened version
of the field round as a side event at ASA venues - like the long distance shoot or the Simms known distance ranges?)

But you and I KNOW that #2, 3, and 4 ain't likely to happen in the near future....

Especially the one about NFAA field archery rules "easy" - and not designed to trick the shooter....we have those that feel that the rules are "perfectly clear" and tell people to READ THE RULES....and the people read the rules and STILL don't understand them or the reasoning....

but can you get them simplified? Absolutely NOT...it was tried via the submission of agenda items...and due to many variables...among which are the CONFUSING SYSTEM that they have for writing agenda items...they must be PERFECT or they get rejected or don't get out of committee.

It was tried last year when 80 out of 82 people responding INCORRECTLY to getting the score on a walkup target with an error made in the shot sequencing. That is right...80 out of 82 people could NOT GET THE SCORE correct for the target based upon READING THE RULES...and yet, we were told that....

"the rules are perfectly clear on what to do, read them...they are clear...but yet 80 out of 82 got it WRONG...was the "rule" rewritten.....NOT TO MY KNOWLEDGE...

That is still out there to haunt newbies and many seasoned shooters that do NOT know how to score a walkup target if someone shoots two arrows from the same stake......

Examples such as this, like you said, need rectifying...and the rules need to be cleaned up and streamlined....but it won't be done.....

Also couldn't get it changed to allow the SHOOTERS A CHOICE in which order to shoot their vertical row of bunny targets....that fell flat on its face too...so as far as I know....you had better shoot it top to bottom or bottom to top in the vertical row and NOT MIX..if you do...you will get a ZERO on the arrow that isn't in sequence.

More is better...but NOT THE CASE in rules....

I also agree that the NFAA needs to promote its rounds at the major 3-D events too...a shortened version of the field round, the INTERNATIONAL round is quick, easy to set up, and you only shoot 3 arrows...20 to 65 yards in 5 yard increments...can shoot the full 60 arrows in about 2 hours....right there in the practice area....little maintenance, NO LANES TO CUT down branches, etc...and it is CHEAP TO RUN...You only use 20 total target faces on the entire round (add some spares for the 20 thru 30, and maybe the 40 and 45).

Should be done...but it won't be. And I already know what will transpire from that last comment...."Hey, Tom, if you're so blamed interested, why don't YOU offer up to come in and run it?" Or, hey, Tom....run for office and start going to the major shoots...or you can''t very well complain....""

Well, maybe the above are among the reasons that I don't go....along with health, age, and personal family situations that put limits on what I can and cannot do....

field14

·
Registered
321 Posts
NFAA field shoots

Roger and Tom as both of you know tne NFAA will never make any changes toward the Field Round, but if any changes will ever be made the ASA has a golden opptunety to stard a new round kind of like what PSE had with the lake of the woods shoots a few years back the ASA could start that type of a shoot back up again and a lot of us old pro shooters that does not shoot any more would be more than glad to come back and shoot this type of a round. The lake of the woods or the international round would be ideal to have at the asa or IBO shoots. Both of these shoots would only take a total of 20 targets or as far as that goes we could shoot two rounds. You Know if they can have 3D shoots at vagas and the indoor nationals this could be pulled off very easy.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Most all of the International rounds I've ever shot, we just go twice through it...so it is only 10 targets, twice through....30 shots each half...It is easy to shoot, quick to shoot, only 3 arrows per target...and is every bit as challenging...ESPECIALLY when scored 5-4-3-2-1, using ALL the rings (excepting the X) to count down.

I agree that the Lake of the Woods round should be re-introduced...it is challenging, fun, and offers lots of excitement for the shooters.

It would be so easy to do at an ASA or IBO event...

And I would just about guarantee that if there was some MONEY put into it for the winners, that the PROS and top amateurs would come and shoot it! No 80 yarder...longest shot is 65 yards.

field14

·
Registered
Pearson PitBull
350 Posts
I grew up shooting NFAA field rounds. Every week we would shoot a league night. Then grill hamburgers & have a bull session. Once in a while we would break out the Bowbirds and shoot flu flu's. Also once a month I think, we would shoot the Hunter round. I could concentrate so well on it. The best though was the flashlight shoot after dark. Someone in your group would go ahead and set up a flashlight on your target illuminating the white bullseye. It was almost like shooting with your eyes closed. Your form was better than ever cause you couldn't watch your arrow. You had to listen for the pop of the arrow reaching its mark.

We would go to tournaments almost every weekend. We camped out a lot. It was a wonderful way to grow up. My aunts ,uncles and a few cousins all shot.

I remember the club meetings and the worries then about our range. We needed to buy the land, but we couldn't afford the $360 per acre. Now sadly I think at least half of that beautiful 28 target range is a housing development.

I feel blessed that I was able to enjoy all that Archery had to offer in the late 60's and 70's. Even then, older club members talked about the decline of members. I seen pictures of huge groups of archers that were all members making our club look small then even though it wasn't.

I quit shooting for over 20 yrs. Today, I try to give back and help others start and enjoy archery. One thing I like about the 3D shoots is that if you so choose, you can shoot non competitive and just shoot for fun.

It is expensive to build and maintain a field course. It takes a strong commitment by a lot of people. I hope the NFAA Field Round stays around for a while longer. I don't think there are any easy answers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts