Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So can I use a slider, single pin sight like the DS Advantage? Here're the rules - there's nothing saying I can't but I've read elsewhere that sliders are prohibited....

Freestyle Bowhunter:
1. A maximum of (5) five fixed reference points: Points of attachment shall not be considered
reference points. A line running vertically from its top attachment in the pin guard to its bottom attachment in the pin guard would be legal. Sighting reference points, string peep (with or without a lens) and/or kisser button may not be moved during a round. Scopes, clickers and draw checks are not allowed. A round or oval housing around the points of reference is not considered a scope as long as no lens is used. No additional pin guard may be used. A sight pin consisting of a housing with a hole through it, that does not contain a fixed reference point within the hole, is not allowed.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
You can use it, but once the competition has started you can't move it...ie "Fixed Reference Points".

9. During a round no adjustments may be made to the bow and its related equipment unless
equipment failure is recognized.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I guess I'm not for 100%, but the third sentence in "Sighting reference points..." says you can not move your pin.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a single pin is useless basically. Does this hold true for Field as well?

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Yup.

The style of sight that I actually hunt with, and that is very popular with bowhunters, for use while actually bowhunting, can't be used as it was designed, to compete in any "bowhunter" class involving multiple range targets.

The tail, is absolutely wagging the dog.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I saw discussion last year about rule changes, any advancement there? I remember mention of "rear adjustable sight"

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Don't think of bhfs as a bowhunting class. It is no more about bowhunting than any other shooting style. People bowhunt with bare bows, traditional bows, target bows and all many of legal equipment. Bhfs is simply the NFAA fixed-pin class....just another very competitive target game.

·
Registered
Moxie Antigen. Hoyt Carbon Spyder.
1,171 Posts
This is only a factor in NFAA sanctioned shoots like State, Sectionals, and Nationals, and only if you are shooting events like Field Rounds. Otherwise w/ no lens and short stabs you're still in Hunter class at MOST events indoors and especially local stuff outdoors. As long as you don't touch your sight after scoring begins you can be in NFAA Bowhunter Freestyle class.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
This is why our club and a few others have started the outlaw class. Single pin sliders with bhfs rules. Seems to be catching on. We've gotten quite a few shooters to compete. We're trying to get nfaa to recognize! We will bring it up again at the next banquet or meeting. It's time we have our own class to shoot against. I don't care to lock down my sight to shoot against pins and nor do I like shooting against scopes and 30" stabs. Speak up fellas! Start an outlaw class at your club. In no time it will catch on nation wide not just the west.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Yup.

The style of sight that I actually hunt with, and that is very popular with bowhunters, for use while actually bowhunting, can't be used as it was designed, to compete in any "bowhunter" class involving multiple range targets.

The tail, is absolutely wagging the dog.
Not true!!

Yes it is a "bowhunting sight but it's a "moveable" sight. The rules clearly state, for BHFS that the sight CAN NOT be moved once the competition starts.

If a "moveable, Single pin sight is used in BHFS the why not just put on a freestyle sight and say "it's a hunting sight"!!! then the only difference from Freestyle would be the stabs.

·
10,241 Posts
.....If a "moveable, Single pin sight is used in BHFS the why not just put on a freestyle sight and say "it's a hunting sight"!!! then the only difference from Freestyle would be the stabs.
You are looking at this, from the perspective of a competitive target archer, vs from the perspective of an actual bowhunter.

It's differences in perspective such as this, that leads into the tail wagging the dog.

·
10,241 Posts
To put this another way; in order to compete at multiple yardages in any "bowhunter" class, I have to replace the sight that I actually use for hunting, with a sight that I would never even consider for use as a hunting sight.

The only reason that I would do that, is to make my hunting bow "legal" for competition in a "bowhunting" class.
That's backwards.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
To put this another way; in order to compete at multiple yardages in any "bowhunter" class, I have to replace the sight that I actually use for hunting, with a sight that I would never even consider for use as a hunting sight.

The only reason that I would do that, is to make my hunting bow "legal" for competition in a "bowhunting" class.
That's backwards.
I would be doing the same thing. I have no use for multi pin sights with my eyes.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I use a single pin for indoors. For out doors I use a 5 pin spott hoggit. If the sight has the IQ built in it you are only allowed 4 pins. I hunt with fixed pins is why I shoot BHFS if I used a slider for hunting I would shoot freestyle I like the challenge of gapping pins

·
Back Yard Champion
29,781 Posts
This is why our club and a few others have started the outlaw class. Single pin sliders with bhfs rules. Seems to be catching on. We've gotten quite a few shooters to compete. We're trying to get nfaa to recognize! We will bring it up again at the next banquet or meeting. It's time we have our own class to shoot against. I don't care to lock down my sight to shoot against pins and nor do I like shooting against scopes and 30" stabs. Speak up fellas! Start an outlaw class at your club. In no time it will catch on nation wide not just the west.
A slider is a movable sight and as such it regulates the bow to Free Style class. You can yell, scream, b-tch all you want, but you will not get a slider class. You flat have to know the NFAA....

·
10,241 Posts
I use a single pin for indoors. For out doors I use a 5 pin spott hoggit. If the sight has the IQ built in it you are only allowed 4 pins. I hunt with fixed pins is why I shoot BHFS if I used a slider for hunting I would shoot freestyle I like the challenge of gapping pins
I am a bowhunter first. And this year, I have purchased four new sights, and five or six different stabilizer set-ups.

One of those sights, is a 5-pin Hogg-it.
The other three, are slider sights.

When I was sighting in with the Hogg-it, the irony really hit me.

I said to myself, "I will never use this sight for hunting. I only have it, so I can compete in BHFS."

At that point, I realized that if I want to play with the equipment that I actually would use for hunting, it has to be in the Open, or Freestyle class.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

That's backwards.
As TNMAN pointed out, "bowhunter" is just a class description, it doesn't mean that just because you "hunt" with it you should be allowed to use it in the "bowhunter" classes. Another person can make the exact same argument that since they hunt with a scope or slider or 3 foot stabilizer (or perhaps all 3), they should be allowed to compete in the "bowhunter" class. The only thing that differentiates Freestyle/Open from Bowhunter is Fixed Pins and Stab length. With the advancement in pin sights, that's perhaps not enough to justify a separate class. If you removed both/either the fixed pin rule, or the stab rule, then you may as well just dump "bowhunter" class and put everyone in FS/Open.

From my understanding, there was a proposal at the NFAA BOD meeting last week to allow 6 pins in BH classes and it got shot down immediately... so I think there's no support in the NFAA at this time for anything that moves BH and FS closer together.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I to hunt with a single pin slider, but compete in 3D BHFS with my 5 pin hogg-it, since I do not wish to move to freestyle were I am competing against 4X + magnification target comp bows against my hunting setup. I will use a single pin in target comp BHFS/indoors since it is 20 yards only like many will do. I will continue this way until either the rules change or after I graduate and can afford a comp setup specific for Freestyle. But I agree there is no current class for non-magnified single pin, which has become popular and is used by a fair amount of bow hunters. I do not believe anyone in here is complaining and I am glad the point and/or idea is being raised.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts