Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually shoot my ILF longbow with a short and heavy stabilizer but for any MSAA sanctioned events that follow NFAA rules I have to take it off. Have any of you found ways to add riser weight within the rules? I've heard of mixing epoxy and birdshot and filling in a cutout below the grip section but I'm not sure I want to do that unless I have to...

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Trad rules changed a few years back, but most state orgs don't exactly keep up to date. A 12" stab is now permitted in Trad and there is no longbow.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes, the NFAA adopted the 12 inch stab for Trad 5 years ago. MSAA may either specifically chose not to stay current with the NFAA rules, or that they may not be aware of it. Seek to make changes by petitioning your organization.

As for longbow, well the NFAA's continue push to eliminate all finger shooters, they chose to wipe out the longbow class this past August (along with the Bowhunter and Freestyle Limited finger shooting classes). So with that longbow, you can still shoot under the Trad rules. Or you can choose to shoot it under the NFAA Barebow rules. At our state's Field Championship, we had a longbow guy shooting in the barebow class with us recurve and compound shooters because he wanted to use carbon arrows for those 80 yard shots and string walk. The guy was an awesome shooting machine. He was crushing all the distances with his longbow.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
EJ, Remember we have 2 official state organizations. And 2 National organizations. For us B.B. shooters we have rules from all mixed up. Stay with me on this, OK. BB rules, NFAA is any stabs, vbars if you want, clickers are ok, compounds are good, any size arrow, stringwalking. Just nothing above arrow in sight window. MAA follows WA/ USA archery rules. No stabs, but all the weight you can put below the grip as long as it fits thru a 12.2 cm circle. No clicker, recurve only, stringwalking OK, max arrow diameter 23/64.
Let’s get a little weird...MAA is the official state organization for NFAA. So....depending on the shoot you can have eithers rules or a Blend! Are you still with me ???
MSAA has 10 times the #’s as MAA so more shoots use there rules. BB is NFAA rules. Now for trad, we gonna get weird now.
NFAA trad. Recurve only, 12” stab, no stringwalking.any arrow. MSAA trad, no stringwalking, no stabs, weights have to be more or less hidden, any arrow. MAA Trad..... let’s not even go there..we talking longbows that have a D- shape when strung, no arrow rest, wood arrows..... You see what I shoot, I don’t feel a compound has any advantage at 20 yards. Outdoors...at the Nationals in Yankton I was the only Recurve in B.B. division. I didn’t know there even COULD be that many Teaxans shooting BB Compound!!! LOL
Just shoot what makes you happy and let some anal judge decide where you should be. See you soon.
Arrowchucker out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts