Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a NIB Fred Bear TRX on a great deal and the bow is slightly out of spec. out of the box. I want to get this taken care of before setting it up but I don't know how. My A2A is 3/16" long,my brace is dead on,my D.L. is 1" long,my poundage is 67 lbs. with limbs maxed out. If I twist my cables to get A2A and poundage right it's gonna make my D.L. even longer. If I twist my string to get my D.L. right it's gonna further reduce my weight.The D.L. is fine for me like it is (30") but 29.5 is perfect.I have always shot a 29" bow with a longer than normal d loop,so I can shorten my d loop & be fine like it is. Any suggestions? Set it up like it is or do ya'll know how to get it perfect? Thanks in advance!

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Twist the cables and string up, to get ata & poundage correct. Make sure cam orientation is right, twist string till draw length is correct.

Bow has to fit YOU perfect, to shoot it's best. Good luck...1/2 hr of adjusting and you'll be all set. Shoot a couple hundred arrows thru it, and recheck specs :smile:

·
One Shot
9,198 Posts
First thing I do with a head scratcher is take off the strings and cables and measure them under pressure. Then twist to spec. Lots of times gets me pretty close right off the bat. I use my draw board with a turnbuckle to stretch them since I don't have a string jig. I put a hook on the end of the draw board, hook one loop around that and the other loop in the turnbuckle. With an arrow stuck in the turnbuckle the string won't untwist. Then I twist it to length by turning the turnbuckle.

What type of cam does the bow have?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I just bought a NIB Fred Bear TRX on a great deal and the bow is slightly out of spec. out of the box. I want to get this taken care of before setting it up but I don't know how. My A2A is 3/16" long,my brace is dead on,my D.L. is 1" long,my poundage is 67 lbs. with limbs maxed out. If I twist my cables to get A2A and poundage right it's gonna make my D.L. even longer. If I twist my string to get my D.L. right it's gonna further reduce my weight.The D.L. is fine for me like it is (30") but 29.5 is perfect.I have always shot a 29" bow with a longer than normal d loop,so I can shorten my d loop & be fine like it is. Any suggestions? Set it up like it is or do ya'll know how to get it perfect? Thanks in advance!
My BIGGEST concern would be getting the DL "perfect", not being "okay with it". Loop size is a good "band aid" for imperfect draw length, but it is still a band aid. You have to adjust SOMETHING in Your form to make it work. I am no bow tuner, but aren't their variation tolerances on the other specs? Like I said though, I am a rookie tuner, very VERy "green"! :embarres:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bwana,should I start with the cables to get the A2A & poundage right and then twist the string for draw length or will twisting the string undo what I accomplished when twisting the cables?

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Thanks Bwana,should I start with the cables to get the A2A & poundage right and then twist the string for draw length or will twisting the string undo what I accomplished when twisting the cables?
If it's was me, I'd start by twisting the cables 2 full twists, the string 3 full twists....then check .. and adjust from there.

Draw length is everything ... ata and brace can float a little ... draw and poundage are what you're after :smile:

I've gotta plaster some walls ... will check back later .. or PM me if ya have a problem ... take your time and write down specs as you go.

ps: after you get it right....reset the nocking point to 1/8" high from square .. reset peep height if you use one

·
One Shot
9,198 Posts
If you PM me your email address I will send you a word document with the info you are asking for - it's too big to attach.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks "skynight", that's an awesome piece of info! I really appreciate everybody's help you guys are great!

·
One Shot
9,198 Posts
Thanks "skynight", that's an awesome piece of info! I really appreciate everybody's help you guys are great!
I wish I could remember who I stole that from so I could at least give him credit. I have a similar one for binaries that I stole off the elite site. I can't remember any of that stuff, so it helps me out a lot as a reference. Good luck with it.

·
Tater's Archery Solutions
2,623 Posts
I wish I could remember who I stole that from so I could at least give him credit. I have a similar one for binaries that I stole off the elite site. I can't remember any of that stuff, so it helps me out a lot as a reference. Good luck with it.
I saved your word doc. I made the one over on EAF. It's here too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just thinkin' about all this,it sounds like I need to twist up on my strings AND cables.By doing this how much will this effect my cam orientation? The orientation is perfect now.If I add twists to both the strings and cables won't this have my orientation way off or am I overthinking this.Sorry for being a PIA,thanks again!

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Just thinkin' about all this,it sounds like I need to twist up on my strings AND cables.By doing this how much will this effect my cam orientation? The orientation is perfect now.If I add twists to both the strings and cables won't this have my orientation way off or am I overthinking this.Sorry for being a PIA,thanks again!
Not necessarily, Both adjustments will move together ... and the limb deflection will change a little, thus moving your timing mark.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again "bwana". You've got a way of makin' it all make sense to me.(And that ain't easy)LOL!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Where did you buy the bow ??? They should have checked the specs before selling to you. If mail order, good luck, you are on your own with any warranty work or adjustments.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on tuning success

Well guys,I got it all in spec,but I have a question. I twisted my cables & string and wound up with everything in spec. & it shoots great! The only problem is in order to do this I wound up twisting my cable enough to where I have my two yoke cables twisted over each other 3 times above the serving. I think the reason is there is alot of serving area on the cable causing it to "resist the twist" if you're understanding me. My questions are will this prematurely wear my cable? Is it okay like that? Do I have too long of a cable from the factory? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Also,this doesn't make it right but while I was at the shop I did notice another new bow on the rack with the cable twisted the same way & the guy at the shop said " it shouldn't hurt anything."

·
Registered
198 Posts
Trx

Is this the TRX 32, or 400?
I had the 32 about five years ago and had the same problem. Once it was properly set up she was a sure shooter. Man I miss that bow!
Gave it to a buddy to try and get him into the archery craze. he then SOLD it :angry:.
Man I miss that bow!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey "deergoneit",that sucks buddy,sorry for your loss. Mine is neither the TRX 32 nor the TRX 400. It's just a TRX. The A2A is 35.8 something (can't remember exactly.) Don't know the diff. between it and the 400 (the shop had those too but it's a diff. bow,maybe just a year model thing?) I only shot it a little bit Sat. because we had about 30 mph. winds,but it did shoot well considering. I think I'm gonna like it just fine. You said you had the same problem with your cable? Did it ever give you any trouble like that or did you replace the cable?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts