Archery Talk Forum banner

It's Less Of An Accomplishment Because...

• It was killed inside a high fence

Votes: 299 60.5%
  • It was killed over bait

Votes: 23 4.7%
  • It was killed with a firearm

Votes: 23 4.7%
  • The hunter used an outfitter

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 134 27.1%
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What makes you say "big deal" when you find out a hunter was successful by using a particular technique? I was thinking about this today while looking at a hunting magazine and seeing a bunch of pictures of guys with deer. I was pretty much thinking "nice deer" until I came to one with a caption that said the hunter was from one state and killed the deer in a different state while hunting with an outfitter, I kind of surprised myself because my first reaction was to discount the accomplishment due to the hunter paying the outfitter to do the scouting and stand placement for him.

This thread isn't about what's right or wrong, but what you think makes killing a big deer less of an accomplishment. I think people should be allowed to hunt using whatever legal methods are available to them, but I admit that I don't want to use some of them and I wouldn't feel as good about killing a big buck if I did.

I'm not trying to start another debate on here about stuff, but I am curious what the general consensus on AT is regarding some of the ways we hunt. Some of these topics generate more heated debates than others, but I'm wondering if that's because of the very strong feelings of a few or is this how the majority of hunters on AT feel?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm not impressed if its in a Pen.
High Fence kinda depends on the operation, its kinda like a baseball player on steroids. I put the * next to the record.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I guess I always kinda felt the same way, never really thought about that. I've always been more impressed by a guy who got a huge deer in an area where they are not maintained and managed by an outfitter=thus not nearly as common. He did all the prep work on his own and chances are he'll be lucky to get another giant in the next decade. I'm speaking of the "average" hunter. I still think that to get a great deer through an outfitter is a great accomplishment and still not just some easy task. I just am more impressed by the average hard hunting Joe who scores big after many years of less than awesome success.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Killed in a high fence was my vote. The bucks in a high fence establishment have no opportunity to leave the area and therefore are much easier to scout and put a hunter on. Although some high fence hunts are on a very large tract of land. If you see them once, there not going anywhere. I'm fine with bait where legal no different than a food plot to me. Firearms still require that you scout and are in the right place when the buck gets up and moves. Outfitter hunting takes the grunt work out of it, but what you see one day may be a mile away the next. All in all I don't condemn any hunting as I believe to condemn one just allows others to conemn another.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If a buck is what we are talking about. I like them all do care were they were killed. Now if were talking about the hunter there might be something there to some but the shot still has to be made.

I didn't vote

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
What makes you say "big deal" when you find out a hunter was successful by using a particular technique? I was thinking about this today while looking at a hunting magazine and seeing a bunch of pictures of guys with deer. I was pretty much thinking "nice deer" until I came to one with a caption that said the hunter was from one state and killed the deer in a different state while hunting with an outfitter, I kind of surprised myself because my first reaction was to discount the accomplishment due to the hunter paying the outfitter to do the scouting and stand placement for him.

This thread isn't about what's right or wrong, but what you think makes killing a big deer less of an accomplishment. I think people should be allowed to hunt using whatever legal methods are available to them, but I admit that I don't want to use some of them and I wouldn't feel as good about killing a big buck if I did.

I'm not trying t' start another debate on here about stuff, but I am curious what the general consensus on AT is regarding some of the ways we hunt. Some of these topics generate more heated debates than others, but I'm wondering if that's because of the very strong feelings of a few or is this how the majority of hunters on AT feel?
You need one more answer on your poll... none of the above.

As long as it's legal, it's an accomplishment.

If you're not trying to start a debate, don't start a thread that pits one hunter against another. You do what you do, I'll do what I do.

Some states require an outfitter for non-residents hunting certain species of animals. If I want to hunt there, I have to hire one. If I were to kill a nice ram, I wouldn't feel any less accomplished because of it. Would you? I have to make the stalk. I have to make the shot. It's all on me when it matters most.

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need one more answer on your poll... none of the above.

As long as it's legal, it's an accomplishment.

If you're not trying to start a debate, don't start a thread that pits one hunter against another. You do what you do, I'll do what I do.

Some states require an outfitter for non-residents hunting certain species of animals. If I want to hunt there, I have to hire one. If I were to kill a nice ram, I wouldn't feel any less accomplished because of it. Would you? I have to make the stalk. I have to make the shot. It's all on me when it matters most.
LOL. I'm not sure this thread pits one hunter against each other, we're just talking about personal preferences it's not like we're taking part in a steel cage match or anything. :wink:

You're right, I should have added a none of the above option but I thought of it too late. Luckily we're just goofing around on an internet forum and not trying to cure cancer so hopefully no one will be harmed by this poll.

I agree that outfitters for some species are a much different deal than whitetail outfitters. My own personal opinion is I wouldn't be as satisfied if I paid an outfitter to tell me where to sit and wait for a whitetail to walk by. Elk, mule deer, Bighorn sheep, etc are generally different.

I'm a big proponent of you hunt your way and I'll hunt mine, I've never argued against the legality or rights of hunters to hunt using tactics that are different than my own. But that doesn't mean people don't also have the right to express their opinions on stuff. I'm not saying high fences, baiting, outfitters, etc are bad, I'm simply saying I wouldn't get as much enjoyment out of a hunt if I used them. That doesn't mean I won't use them and it doesn't mean I still won't enjoy the hunt, I just won't enjoy it quite as much.

I hate to agree with you again :)mad:), but I agree it is still an accomplishment as long as it is legal. I'm not talking about right or wrong here, just the varying levels of satisfaction that may come from different tactics. I hear bowhunters say all the time on here that they no longer use firearms to hunt because it doesn't provide the same enjoyment level as their bows, I disagree because I still enjoy hunting with a firearm very much but I don't begrudge them their opinions or personal beliefs. I find the poll results pretty interesting so far, I just hope that hunters are willing to support even the hunting methods they don't necessarily enjoy or utilize themselves.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I have to think a "NICE BUCK is a NICE BUCK," but there's certainly a varying level of respect I have for a public land booner killed with a bow, vs. a 500 acre pen hunt that yields a buck of similar caliber. There's been hundreds of 250+ bucks raised in pens, but maybe only 100 killed in the country, makes it pretty obvious that those pens can produce ABNORMALLY large deer. It's still a hunt, and probably a fun hunt, unless it's one of those "Jimmy Houston Special's," but I certainly keep the public land "booner" in a higher respect than a "pen deer," regardless of the size.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I’m OK with people killing game legally by whatever method they choose. I DO agree with you about outfitted hunts. As a rookie, I passed on one of my friends putting me in his tree stand because I hadn’t ever killed a deer yet. I wanted to do it ‘on my own’. (I started hunting at age 25) I should have just let him help me, but looking back, I’m glad I didn’t.

I have no problem with other people using outfitters, but I don’t think it’s for me. (Cheap I guess, and I’m sure I’d learn a ton of useful information from an elk guide.) I personally admire a nice buck or bull that was DIY more than a monster that a guide provided (holding the hunt over the kill, and all that …), but a monster is still a monster. :)

Kind of like holding a stalk kill over a tree stand kill. The only deer I’ve killed while bow hunting on the ground was merely good fortune, not a stealthy stalk. Another is holding a close bow kill in higher regard than a far shot. I’m not against expanding your effective range, but reducing your ‘distance to prey’ is a real indicator of how good a hunter you are. (I have a long way to go!) :embara:

I personally have no desire to HF hunt deer, elk, or ‘exotics’. Pigs on the other hand, I’d try sometime. Not saying it makes sense or is consistent, but that’s my personal view. :confused:

Didn’t vote, do what pleases YOU.

TTS

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Killed in a high fence was my vote. The bucks in a high fence establishment have no opportunity to leave the area and therefore are much easier to scout and put a hunter on. Although some high fence hunts are on a very large tract of land. If you see them once, there not going anywhere. I'm fine with bait where legal no different than a food plot to me. Firearms still require that you scout and are in the right place when the buck gets up and moves. Outfitter hunting takes the grunt work out of it, but what you see one day may be a mile away the next. All in all I don't condemn any hunting as I believe to condemn one just allows others to conemn another.
My sentiments also.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
all of the above, i support them all, but if you do it without any of those above its an accomplishment. I think that pen-raised deer should not be in the record books (the ones grown on farms and sold to preserves) The reason being is because the person is essentially buying themselves into the book compared to going after an animal that is roaming free. I have not problem and support the hunters that hunt penned animals, just don't think they and the others mentioned above is as much as an accomplishment as traditionally more difficult ways.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
We're all out there for different reasons. I don't think it's for me to say what an "accomplishment" should be for someone else.

Honestly I might think in my head "too bad", that doesn't make it less of an accomplishment for someone else.

I support all legal methods of hunting and will gladly congratulate any successful hunter under legal conditions!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I despise high fenced hunting but certainly not reputable outfitters. Hundreds of hunters kill black bears every year with outfitters without much negative being said on this site or others....just lots of congrats going around and ppl wanting to know what outfitter they were with. So IMO, hunting for whitetails with a good outfitter should be no different.

·
The pugs keeper
5,959 Posts
If a buck is what we are talking about. I like them all do care were they were killed. Now if were talking about the hunter there might be something there to some but the shot still has to be made.

I didn't vote
I second that. I like all big deer no matter where i see them from, but its the hunt i would say big deal to. I didnt vote.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
:sorry: I should keep my mouth outa this one :zip:, but I can't...so here goes nothin'. I personally don't like guns :behindsof. So with that being said, I don't want to offend anyone. I feel let down :sad: when I'm watching a hunting show...say for example when Lee (he's hot) Lakosky shot the big browtine buck (i think) with a gun I was disappointed. I don't think anything less of the deer... but I think he should have waited till next year and the year after and so on...If he never got him with a bow, so be it! :sorry:

·
Registered
425 Posts
None of the above wold have been my choice too. On a side note, My dad came to visit me a few years back. He had never hunted whitetails before and I showed him some good spots, where the deer are and where they arent etc. Kind of like an outfitter ya know. Now if I went hunting in lets say Utah, and I had 5 days to hunt I would probably want an outfitter. I would not want to spend the first 4 days of my hunt just trying to figure out the lay of the land and where the deer are located. IMO most other hunters would feel the same way.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
To look down your nose at someone elses success by method other than your own and say "not good enough for me" is an extremely arrogant (and obviously jealous) stance.

People hunt for individual reasons and I'm certain no one is hitting the woods with the singular motivation to prove themselves worthy to the geniuses and panel of judges on AT. :lol: Furthermore, for the geniuses to believe their approval is wanted or needed speaks volumes of their collective intelligence. :D

1 - 20 of 114 Posts