Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was searching on the forums for more info on this topic, but didn’t see much. I figured there’s got to be more than one person looking to do this, so here goes.

Going all-in on crossbow hunting after selling my beloved Tikka 308, kind of like how Cortez burned his ships after arriving to the new world to ensure there was no backsliding amongst his crew. I love me some feral hog meat, so I’m building a rig to night hunt using an Excal 340TD. Ordered a Sytong HT-66 IR night vision clip-on after reading Brit and Aussie reviews, and looks good so far. Went out back to see towards rear of my property tonight and it works great. Battery doesn’t last too long using both the IR scope and the built-in IR light, so ordered a separate IR light to maximize battery power in IR unit.

Will post pics of the rig and pics from the scope itself soon (can take pics and video). And after a while, I hope to post some pics of actual hog hunts. Stay tuned!

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Good luck with this new setup and I hope you enjoy it. I've been night hunting hogs with a crossbow a day/night (IR) optic here in Texas for several years and really do enjoy it.

Some tips:
  • Get an IR light that's in the 900 mhz range with adjustable emitter control. The 800s are mainly for longer distance use and in close the emitters are too bright, and the hogs will see the red emitter and your busted. There are several options out there that mount to pic rails.
  • If you plan to do this often and have ambush/bait spots, another option is a remote IR setup like the one from SloGlow. Again, set it up with the 900 emitter. It's motion sensitive and comes with a remote. The one below is Tpost mounted with a solar charger and it stays out 365.
Plant Vehicle Ecoregion Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I use ATNs 4K Pro which is day and night capable, records video in UHD and has a ballistic laser option. Another cool optic for a crossbow.
Air gun Machine gun Sports equipment Trigger Match rifle shooting

If you are setup well and have good ambush spots you can get close enough to do this:

More Hunting Videos....

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with this new setup and I hope you enjoy it. I've been night hunting hogs with a crossbow a day/night (IR) optic here in Texas for several years and really do enjoy it.

Some tips:
  • Get an IR light that's in the 900 mhz range with adjustable emitter control. The 800s are mainly for longer distance use and in close the emitters are too bright, and the hogs will see the red emitter and your busted. There are several options out there that mount to pic rails.
  • If you plan to do this often and have ambush/bait spots, another option is a remote IR setup like the one from SloGlow. Again, set it up with the 900 emitter. It's motion sensitive and comes with a remote. The one below is Tpost mounted with a solar charger and it stays out 365.
View attachment 7712502

I use ATNs 4K Pro which is day and night capable, records video in UHD and has a ballistic laser option. Another cool optic for a crossbow.
View attachment 7712513

If you are setup well and have good ambush spots you can get close enough to do this:

More Hunting Videos....
Nice!!! Type of broadhead and weight?

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I plan on using a fixed blade, maybe 125gr Tooth of the Arrow. And thx for the pro tip to use 940 IR light…only had 850. My shots will be about 30 yards to the corn, just behind the fallen tree on the right:

Natural landscape Tree Twig Wood Trunk

And hope this guy becomes a regular:

Flash photography Tints and shades Darkness Font Event

1 - 5 of 5 Posts