Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide which rangefinder to pick up at Dick's I had my mind set on the Nikon 440 but the guy at the counter a valid point, looking through it across the store he said to click it on a sign hanging off the ceiling and if you moved just a tiny bit you would click on the wall behind it 10 yards away, I love the compact size but trying the Bushnell Yardage Pro 450 it seemed more stable and didn't mistake the distances as the Nikon did, any of you guys that have one have any problems like that, clicking on a deer and moving and actually clicking on a tree or something?? Any help is greatly appreciated before I drop 200!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
proskinnertts said:
click on the same object more than once to make sure its right
and i dont click on deer unless they are too far to shoot. I range all the trees and have a circle of shots around me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
nikon 440

I love mine. Small light weight ,fair optics. Need to practice with it some to be able to hit what you are measuring.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've used the 440 for two seasons now and have nothing but good to say about it. If I'm ranging an animal, i actually range the ground at the animals feet. I do this because it is hard to hold it steady on an animal that is moving or when I get alittle over excited.:wink:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Just bought the Nikon 440 Saturday!

I like it. If you click on the power button once then press and hold it you can take continuous ranges at whatever you want. (Moving deer, etc.)

But like the previous posts, I check the reading a second time to be sure!

Jim

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I think the Nikon is a better rangefinder. I've had both and just prefer the Nikon. You'll find lots of fans of the Nikon all over, and I've never had the problem you describe with any kind of fair target. If it's a very small or skinny target (flagstick), I just range to the ground at the same distance.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had one for a while and really liked it. Got a Leica for my birthday and REALLY like it. My cousin bought a Leupold and it wouldn't take a reading on anything black. He returned it for a Nikon and is very happy with it.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I have a Nikon 440, and I am very happy with it. I do that same as several others, I range something 2-3x, then feel satisfied. I like it better than the Bushnell because it is much smaller, and it has a little better optics with 8x magnification. With 8x magnification, I can almost consider leaving my binoc's at home.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Why would the Nikon's "move off an object" any more than any other rangefinder with magnification? For more stability, hold it with two hands... or support the arm holding it.

I love my Nikon 440. Dropped it out of my pocket last year under my stand and I was sick, thinking I'd lost it somewhere. Went back the following weekend, and it had been raining. Picked it up, and it worked fine.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
During 3-D practice we were testing the difference between my Nikon 440 and a Bushnell 450 Pro and every time we clicked it off mine was always accurate after the first reading and once in a while he had to redo in order to get the correct reading:wink: Not saying his might have had a flaw just our observation :sad:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've had my 440 for about a year & i don't think u could go wrong for the price. Place where i got it let me go outside with it and the bushenell & i chose the one that worked better 4 me!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I give another vote for the 440. I use to have a Bushnell and hated it. Nikon is so much better. Get the Nikon

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
I like my 440

and I dont see how it can miss a moving target any more than any other optical device

I practice shooting the bow with it. If youre going to hunt with it than you may as well sight in with it. I dont measure 20 yards...I range it with my Nikon and then set my pin to it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have no complaints of my Nikon 440........Like said before hit whatever your ranging a few times to make sure it hit the target you where aiming for!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts