Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Nikon Realtree 400 online. Took it out today for a trial run. It worked great on tree trunks out to about 80-90 yds. But I could not get it to range a white building out past 150 yds. The Nikon would not even range foilage on the trees.

Does this sound normal, since it is supposed to range to 437 yds?

My bushnell lytespeed 400 will range anything.

Now the gentleman I purchased on ebay from, says to contact Nikon about their warranty.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If it has a new battery than you have a problem, with mine I can range a bush at 300 yards.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Dido what Carbon said. I use mine golfing and can range just about any sand trap (except the one I'm standing in), or tree, or green, etc... Pretty much put the cross on it and push the power button and whallaa.... I know the distance.

Check the battery and if that doesn't solve it, you bought a piece of junk on Ebay.... maybe Nikon will make it right with you if the guy you bought it from won't.

Sorry RR!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's brand new, with a new battery. The ebay guy said to contact Nikon for any warranty work. I'm waiting on Monday to give them a call. I had mine out 10 minutes ago to see if anything had changed. It didn't. It won't even range a tree 2 houses down. I tried to range the side of a van about 80yds down the street. Nothing. I guess the lesson here Grasshopper is, don't buy online any more. Sorry about my luck.:mad:

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
Range Rat,

I've sold several of the Nikon 400's, and your rangefinder's performance is certainly not to spec. On the other hand, I'm not sure that it is an issue of buying online. Nikon typically has excellent warranty service, so I would imagine they will have you up and running in no time.

After about 12 months, my first Laser400 stopped working in temperatures cooler than 50 degrees (not very good for deer hunting in November:( ). I called Nikon and sent in the Rangefinder. Since I was past the 12 month warranty period, I asked them to contact me if the repair cost would exceed $75. 4 days later, or os, I received a post card indicating that the unit was on it's way. In about a week, I had a brand new unit- even though my previous ranger was technically out of warrantly.

Hopefully, you will have a good solution as well. I have great confidence in Nikon's service and products.

Good Luck,

Indychris

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Mine works great. In fact I just used mine today to sight in my rifles. I was very surprised to find that it ranges out to 500+ yards, even though it is only suposed to go to 400. I love it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts