Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one having any luck in NJ hunting these turkeys? What phase do you think the are in?

Here is how my first week went-

Monday - I got lost out in the field and ended up hunting a new spot that I did not want to hunt. Ended being the perfect set up with birds gobbling all the way to my blind. Hens and tom came out into the field just 10 yards away from my blind. They showed themselves at around 6:45 am and I ended up missing with the bullhead at 7 yards. It was my closest miss ever and I admit I peeked after the shot which help my arrow go just a hair left of the neck.:cry:

Wednesday - Set up in another field and had no response calls. At around 9:30 3 deer, 6 hens then 4 gobblers came out of the timber just 50 yards away. Nothing came into my set up.

Thursday(today) -Set up in another field that the farmer said a bunch of birds were hanging out. Lots of gobblers sounding off in the timber behind me until about 8:00 until they found some hens. They would not come out of the woods so I attempted to cut off the hen with harsh calls to get her mad. She eventually came out to inspect and two gobblers followed. She saw my decoys and let out a big cluck to say I see you now back off. She took the two gobblers to all parts of the field but made sure to keep them away from my set up.

So I leave off week 1 with no tag filled. In all it was a very exciting week for me and even though I missed on an opportunity I have gained more experience hunting these thunderchickens.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
been out monday through thursday calling/ guiding. killed a longbeard monday and yesterday. been on birds everday but they have been very quiet and with hens. population seems very low this year. i also saw 14 bears this week which doesnt help matters. kinda sucks when you have more bears than turkeys to hunt in my area! most people i've talked to are also saying not many birds around but what is around are quiet and henned up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts