Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an indoor shoot next weekend that is thinking of not allowing binoc's in an attempt to speed things up. What are your thoughts? Mine are that it will actually take longer as after people pull arrows, they will go to their next targets and take a while to eye them up, then go back to the line and stare, and squint. Then ultimately it becomes a game of who is the better guesser and not the better archer. Say I go back to the line without looking at my next target in an attempt to speed things up, my next target is a MT Lion. I think it has a center 12 ring, shoot a perfect shot right where I aimed, we walk up and it has a low left 12 ring! I could shoot the best I ever have that day, but since I didn't know where the 12 rings were, I hit in the wrong spot all day.
Just my $.02

Lien2

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lien what shoot is this is it in ND

It is called the Bowhunters Shootout sponsored by Sportsmans Warehouse at the Red River Valley Fairgrounds. One of my other beefs is that it is called the BOWHUNTERS Shootout and they are thinking of banning a very basic peice of bowhunting equipment which is the binoc's. :confused::)
There will be 40 targets, some moving.

Lien2

·
Banned
116 Posts
It's great, We had 3rd one near here and it went so smooth, no waiting on certain shooters,and no backups at all .. Most of us should know where to shoot the critters... For newbee's it'll suck, but that's why they make cheat sheet pictures , or just look on the internet for pictures...:wink:

·
Back Yard Champion
29,756 Posts
??? What distance? Personally, if you want to shoot then abide by the rules.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
??? What distance? Personally, if you want to shoot then abide by the rules.
I don't think distance has to do with anything? Some 12 rings can't be seen at even 20 yards. FYI it is a shoot the my club is hosting. I am trying to get an idea of what others think, then decide if we should have this as a rule.

Lien2

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am currently shooting at a Gander Mountain league shoot in which you cannot use bino's. All of the targets are Reinharts. I did it for pratice with a new release. It definitely makes you use your memory on where the vitals are after the first shot. I personally like it. I think the different turkeys are the biggest challenge, as most targets are up the back of the front leg and mid-body. As long as everyone knows that it is a shoot with a "No Bino" restriction you should not have a problem.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
You are shooting 3-D, you arn't hunting. If they don't want to wait for people to glass a target, they should take up needlepoint or something. When I go to a shoot, I'm not going so I can be through the course in an hour.:confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
bino´s?

for me it was weird when i came over here to the usa, and saw everyone using bino´s to scope the 3d targets,now overseas its totaly banned on any 3d course.
so in my humble opinion.....dont allow them,so that everyones on the same level.:wink:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If there is a time limit there is no point in banning the glass. There is probably only a few that is holding up the line anyway so no need to make all suffer.
For the slow ones kick them in the glASS and get the show on the road.;)

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I think it is silly to ban binoculars in 3D. I wouldn't shoot somewhere that doesn't allow them, despite the fact that I don't use mine on every target. If people are in that big of a hurry, they can go around me when I take an extra 10 seconds to look through my binos.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm with you!

I think that binocs should be allowed. I just entered this crazy game and i don't have all of the kill spots memorized for each brand of target.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
go to the regional shoots(northern section ) and check out the argument we just got done having on this same subject when one local shoot (california) banned binos.i've shot there 2 of there 3 shoots since then placing 4th out of over 100 each time and swear i wont go back unless theres absolutley no other shoots that weekend.i've only been shooting about 8 months and havent memorized all the 12 spots.it sucks alot when you put the arrow where you want only to draw an 8!!!!!

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
our club shoot in april is supposed to be no binos.. thats not the norm for us, just want to change it up a little but.

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
You are shooting 3-D, you arn't hunting. If they don't want to wait for people to glass a target, they should take up needlepoint or something. When I go to a shoot, I'm not going so I can be through the course in an hour.:confused:
Hmm, you are trying to suggest that archery without binocs == needlepoint? That's just nonsensical. Most of the 3D shoots I go to don't allow binocs--back to basics doesn't equal sissy stuff.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
set a time limit
Doesn't do any good to set a time limit and then turn right around and expect "peer enforcement" and then what happens is NO ENFORCEMENT of the time limit.

IBO and ASA are VERY LAX about "ENFORCEMENT" of the time limit, if at all.

field14

1 - 20 of 27 Posts