Archery Talk Forum banner

No blood trail?

3927 Views 15 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  deerhunter5555
I can't understand this one, I shot a buck Friday from 18 yards and I was 20 feet up a tree. I made a good shot I thought, I use a fire nock and could see the arrow impact as it passed through the deer. The buck was broad side and I hit him about just a little over 1/2 way up his rib cage, he jumped and kicked both back legs out and ran off. I saw him stop about 75 yards away and just stood there and then he walked off. I got to my arrow and it was covered with red slimy blood, the thing that blows my mind is that I never found one drop of blood anywhere, I used a 100 grn. slick trick broad with a arrow speed of 300 fps. Has anyone else experienced such a thing?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
988 Posts
Wow!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your luck. I have never had that problem nor heard of it. I wish you luck. Did you find the buck???

· Registered
331 Posts
if you hit were you think you did only thing stoping the bloods is the insides of the deer but when i have done this there was allways some blood it might be pin head size but allways blood and allways a dead deer
but if you just hit a meat shot that will be diff
good luck

· Romans 10 vs 9
11,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blood on the arrow was dark red and slimy, I never found the deer, even looked the next day, nothing:cry: No specks of blood not even where I saw him stop, that's what baffles me so much.

· Registered
226 Posts
dead deer

If you really put one though his ribs (below the spine and in front of the diaphragm), you have a dead deer out there somewhere. My first deer in WI about a month ago left absolutely no blood. I found her about 60 yards away from where I shot her. She looked perfect, except for the two holes in her chest. She was hit very high on entrance (8 yards out, 22 feet up in tree) and exit was right at the diaphragm/chest wall juncture. She bled out internally, but didn't even spill a drop on her fur coat. Even when I rolled her over to look at the wounds, no blood was spilling out. I just found her by looking in the general direction she ran.

A deer with two holes in its chest cavity is dead IMO. That's at least a collapsed lung, even if you miss all lung tissue. Maybe the dark blood is an indication of hitting the inferior vena cava (large vein returning to the heart from the liver). The vena cava has virtually no internal pressure (it's a vein), but should cause massive blood loss, and combined with two holes in the chest cavity, I'd say dead within a minute.

It's a bit late now, but I bet that deer is dead. Let us know if you find it. Good luck.

· Registered
266 Posts
I had the same problem Saturday afternoon. I shot a doe at 18 yards from my 20ft ladder stand. The arrow hit at a steep angle and did not completly pass though. After an hour had passed I began to luck for blood without having any luck. We found the deer about and hour and a half after I shot it about 50-60 yards from my stand. The deer did not bleed at all, we found the deer because it took the same path as many other deer that I have shot. The doe had a huge entry hole due to the rage 2 blade broad head that I shot it with, but the deer still failed to leave blood.

· stay calm pick a spot
3,170 Posts
blood trail

ok man i have seen this and there is two options the first is if you hit high in the lungs it takes a bit to fill the cavity up before you start to see it on the ground i have seen this several times the second of which is gonna be just bad luck and that is if you hit about 3in below the spine there is about a 3in dead space there above the lungs and below the spine that wont even kill it seen this before good luck stay on him as for the blood trail slow down and look close its there.

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
The blood on the arrow was dark red and slimy, I never found the deer, even looked the next day, nothing:cry: No specks of blood not even where I saw him stop, that's what baffles me so much.
you hit through back strap above the spine. No vitals, he's still running out there.

· Registered
3 Posts
You never know what is going to happen in the woods. Just last year I had a nice 9 point walk about 15 yards from and I put a shot on that passed through what looked like the rib cage. He took off and stopped about 35 yards standing broadside and slightly quartering away. I put a second shot that I know was a good shot. When I retrieved my arrows they had both been pass through shots, and I had tons of blood.
Thinking to myself I have two pass through shots in what appeared to be vital shots at that, and with the blood that was showing I knew in my mind there is no way this deer went very far. We tracked him for roughly 30 yards with heavy blood and then the blood was gone. Nothing. It's a small patch of woods surrounded by fields and next nearest woods is about 200 yards across a field. For days we looked for him to no avail. Nothing of that deer was ever found or seen again. So what happen't that day is still mind boggling, and I have no explanation.
A few years ago we had a guy here in town who shot a huge 12 pointer, upon field dressing him he found about 2 inches of a broken off arrow with the broadhead lodged into the heart, but no wounds besides the shot that killed him that day, and that was a pass through shot. There was even a scar on the inside of the hide where he had been shot previously, but the deer still lived. How nobody knows. In fact anyone who reads deer and deer hunting may have read about this, because it created quite a buzz here in East Central Illinois. Crazy things happen in the woods the only thing we can do is take good shots and hope for the best.

· Registered
119 Posts
im feeling your woes

i am just plain frusterated. i shot more 3-d and target this year than any other. i have my bow dialed in. or so i thought. its not the bows fault. 2 weeks into the season i shot a nice 9 pointer. got it all on video. i can be heard exclaiming on the video that i hit him high. 12 yards, 15 feet up. turns out i hit a twig and deflected the arrow. found good blood for 100 yards then he dried up! tonight i was out and shot a doe at 50 yards. i felt good about the shot until i saw her run away with half of my arrow still sticking out! good blood this time for 300 yards and then nothing... aaaaaarrrrrggggg!!! i will be in my back yard shooting tomorrow!

· Registered
2,102 Posts
Called a nice doe in Friday morning with a heat bleat. Shot what I thought was a great quartering away 35 yard shot. She ran off and I lost her. My hunting buddy said he had a doe come towards his stand favoring her left front leg, which would be with the shot that I made. Then a buck starts chasing her until she is out of his sight. Found absolutely no blood trail anywhere. What makes it worse is that it was my first shot at a deer with a bow. Just sucks.

· Registered
476 Posts
There is no magic VOID area between the lings and ribs
Maybe not, but it's not the ideal place to shoot one. A friend shot a nice 8 while standing on the ground and had a passthru at close range. Never found the buck and a couple of weeks later a rifle hunter killed him. He had a entrance and exit below the spine through both ribs which one would think a double lung, but that deer was alive and well.

I know another guy that killed a heck of a 9pt with a shaft and fixed blade head inside his chest cavity. Looked like a good quatering away vital shot and the head and shaft were in the heart lung area, but miraculously he survived.

There was a game cam picture floating around for a while of a nice buck with an arrow sticking out of his ribs.

I shot a doe quartering away last year, had about as good a blood trail as one could want and a blood soaked arrow. 6hrs later I jumped her and she appeared to be in great shape. Deer can be surprisingly tough at times...

Reloader7RM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.