Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a used no cam. noticed this on the wheel its rubbing against the guard of the cable...is this a shim issue. or worse?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Yes, it may be a problem with the fit, the cam should go further to the left choosing a thinner top hat, and if it is not possible or not corrected, try to change the position of the upper limbs, it can also be a problem of cable routing ...
just my option

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It could also be the right bearing, without balls but it is rare. when put it in the press you will know

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how will I be able to tell if its the bearing, when I put it in press? ill be able to see where the bearings should be, it will be loose?

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the guy I bought it from said put a twist in the cable thats rubbing? gotta give that a try in the am.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If the bearing is bad you will see it clearly because it would have a lot of play
the most logical thing is that the left limb is stronger than the right, when it should be the other way around

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Considering that they put the guard there because they knew about the cam rubbing and sent thousands of those bows out with that problem, it's probably not an actual "problem". There are more that rub than do not. The rubbing was an immediate criticism of the bow but the Mathews fans didn't seem to care. Probably a good thing they canned the "no cam" after just a short run.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I think you are right, now I see clearly that the design does not allow much inclination towards either side, my notes were directed to any normal binary cam, and if there are some that do not rub, it is possible to try to correct it
on the other hand I never had that bow in my hands

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
As said: check bearing - shim (rearrange) cam if brg is good. I have 10s of thousands of shots through mine with 3 sets of strings and no rub. Just make sure your bow is set up right.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the bearing is bad you will see it clearly because it would have a lot of play
the most logical thing is that the left limb is stronger than the right, when it should be the other way around
are you talking about the bottom limbs? just try swapping them out if the shim swap dosnt work?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
take a photo of the organization of shims, and share it, maybe it is as easy as changing their position
put an arrow on the side of the cam to see how the incline is before and after rearranging the shims- top hats, or limbs

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
There's no real need to photo the shims. If you can move the cam to the left a little bit, that's what it would take to decrease the contact. If you can't move it more to the left, you'd have to either live with it or try swapping limbs around if it really bothers things.

Reactions: leoncrandall74

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, it bugs me. im gonna first try swapping top hats. if that dont work. limb swap.soon as I get time

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
yeah, it bugs me. im gonna first try swapping top hats. if that dont work. limb swap.soon as I get time
If swapping the top hats moves the cam to the right, don't bother. the cam needs to go to the left to increase the lean like this \ to keep the cam off the teflon.

Reactions: leoncrandall74

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Considering that they put the guard there because they knew about the cam rubbing and sent thousands of those bows out with that problem, it's probably not an actual "problem". There are more that rub than do not. The rubbing was an immediate criticism of the bow but the Mathews fans didn't seem to care. Probably a good thing they canned the "no cam" after just a short run.
If your bow is in spec and in time you won’t be rubbing the string track. That guard was put there to protect in case specs or timing got out of wack. Mine and my buddies no cams don’t rub the string track. However I could see how a bad bearing or weak limb could cause it to rub.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there is a little play in both wheels when I put it in the press, I dont know if its normal to have that little play in both wheels,, when I put it in the draw board I see it dosnt rub the whole time during draw,,it rubs halfway through,,then it dosnt rub

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
If your bow is in spec and in time you won’t be rubbing the string track. That guard was put there to protect in case specs or timing got out of wack. Mine and my buddies no cams don’t rub the string track. However I could see how a bad bearing or weak limb could cause it to rub.
Timing the cams and having the bow's measurements to spec doesn't do a thing to cam lean. Those guards were put there, not for the "in case" moments but because the designers knew that many would be rubbing even without damaged bearings or issues with the limbs. It's not a secret that thousands of these bows have had rubbing issues while others have not. Doesn't mean that all the bows that rub aren't tuned or have bad bearings. If there was only rubbing when something was damaged, the teflon cable protector would never have been a factory installed part.

Reactions: RossRagan
1 - 20 of 41 Posts