Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, I built a new set of strings for my Bear Revival then proceeded to get it set up to fit me. Initially, I set the peep height to what had always been correct previously and installed the peep, but when I went to shoot the peep was way out of whack. I have heard too many stories about guys drawing back to check something and inadvertently touching-off, so a few years ago I built a draw strap that works for checking draw length, but sucks for checking my peep height. I decided to build something that fit my hand like my hand-held thumb release which could guarantee no accidental touch-offs. I took some 180 grit sandpaper and roughed it up so it wouldn't slip from by fingers as I draw back.

I purchased a Stihl chainsaw grip, one 3/16" x 2" eyebolt, one washer, one 3/16" nut and one 3/16" nyloc nut.

The first time I drew back with this little device, it felt so natural in my hand that I found myself subconsciously trying to touch it off. (Which is the exact reason I made it in the first place.)

Automan

20200708_191350.jpg

Attachments

·
Muzzy61
1,634 Posts
Cool idea.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
nice to have,.... if you can adjust the hook length to match the release you use,.... for making draw length and peep height adjustments.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice to have,.... if you can adjust the hook length to match the release you use,.... for making draw length and peep height adjustments.
I got lucky and mine matched the dimensions of my thumb release on my first try. If I ever want to build one to match another release all I need to do is tweak the length of the black post that holds the hook.

Automan

·
Registered
312 Posts
Awesome idea (and hat). Go Hawkeyes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome idea (and hat). Go Hawkeyes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
GO HAWKS!!!!!... I used my little device yesterday and loved it so much that I'm going to take the extra parts and build another. In a few minutes I'm planning to drag my tired old butt out of this soft comfortable chair and build another string. It will come in handy once I get the string installed on the bow.

Automan

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very Nice! Coming from a guy who has sold thousands of Can't Fire Releases, that is one hell of a compliment my friend. You might want to consider a slightly larger diameter I bolt for just a bit of extra insurance.:thumbs_up
ThanX very much for the wonderful compliment. I'll take your suggestion and consider a stronger bolt. I swapped out my string this morning and that little device worked perfectly for checking my peep height and the feel of my draw length. I'm addicted to DIY.

Automan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Will get to my hardware store this weekend as this should work perfectly with my Carter Insatiable. Was looking for something like that for some time now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts