Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw my cousin saturday and was asking him how he did this deer season and he told me a story about his friend he was in the marines and deployed with in 04...

They went into a big store to buy their hunting license, my cousin showed them the last hunting lic. he had from 03 ok, no problem and he buys his lic. then his buddy trys to buy one but doesn't have a hunters safety card and they refuse to sell him a hunting lic. He tells the guy that he is active USMC and has been for over 8 years he told him he has been to Iraq and Afganistan several times and he's been trained on every type of weapon the marines have, been out on over 150 combat missions and is headed back to Camp Lejeune in 2 weeks (this was in mid nov) It must have scared the guy because he called the police and had my cousin and his bud removed, I would have sold him one. Only in America....

·
Registered
997 Posts
I know it sucks, but to play devil's advocate, I suppose that since the Marine didn't have hunter safety, he mght mistake a hunter for a deer at 357 yards...then make a perfect shot on him! It isn't just firearms safety, it is "hunter" safety. For the record, I'm pretty sure I would trust that Marine in the woods!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Is a military card sufficient where they were buying their license? Did he have his military id card with him? If he didn't have any proof how was the clerk suppose to know if what he was telling him was true?

·
Registered
69 Posts
First, yes it is hunter safety. I know a couple Marines I would never go hunting with.

Second, they must have done a lot more that tell him his background to get the cops called and have them removed.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Umm.... so to make a long story short somebody went into a store to buy a hunting license... hadn't taken his hunter safety course... threw a fit when the clerk wouldn't sell him a license? If you would have sold him a license I'm glad you're not giving out licenses in my state.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
That sucks! Did they give him a reason for not allowing him to buy a license?

I dont know why they wouldnt sell him the license. I havent had my HSC in 15years. I tried to get a duplicate, but I am not even in the system anymore. I took the test when I was 7, so its been a while. The lady at the KDWP told me to just "attest" that I have one. So thats what I do, and I always hold onto my last half of a tag from the previous year.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
That sucks! Did they give him a reason for not allowing him to buy a license?

I dont know why they wouldnt sell him the license. I havent had my HSC in 15years. I tried to get a duplicate, but I am not even in the system anymore. I took the test when I was 7, so its been a while. The lady at the KDWP told me to just "attest" that I have one. So thats what I do, and I always hold onto my last half of a tag from the previous year.
From what he said, the person had no previous hunting license AND no hunter safety card. If you have neither of those things how can you prove that you ever took the course? I understand that rules vary by state, so I could be slightly off on this though.

·
Trollinus Maximus.
33,445 Posts
theres got to be more to the story to get cops involved :doh:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
From what he said, the person had no previous hunting license AND no hunter safety card. If you have neither of those things how can you prove that you ever took the course? I understand that rules vary by state, so I could be slightly off on this though.
Gotcha.
Its Monday, I'm a little slow today.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I was under the impression that if you were active military that acted as your firearm's safety course until you were no longer active.

Hm..

Guess not

·
Trollinus Maximus.
33,445 Posts
I was under the impression that if you were active military that acted as your firearm's safety course until you were no longer active.

Hm..

Guess not
firearms safety is NOT the same as hunter safety :nono:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Rules is rules... As a former marine myself, I'll bet the jarheads were just venting frustration. Any marine worth his salt will shut up, nut up, and do it when it comes down to it. The law is the law, even for the few and the proud.
I'd say he is good to go with a sidearm, too, but he'd still have to do the red tape hustle and the jumping through hoops thing for a permit. No real disrespect here that I can see... "cept maybe the overreaction of the clerk.
Tell 'em an old marine said good hunting, and watch those sixes in the sand box!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I'm not sure how other states do it but in Kansas the only way to get a hunting license is taking the hunter safety course. It doesn't matter if you are military or LEO. You'd think they would make exceptions based on your job or training but they don't.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
My thoughts:

1.) I'm guessing (having never been in the service I have to guess) that the Marines teach their soldiers to be sure they know what they are shootin at, what's beyond their target, etc just like you would learn in a hunter safety course. Ergo, no hunter safety course needed.

2.) I know a bunch of people I would not want to go hunting with, marines, army, Navy, and non service men alike...and several of them have a hunter safety card. Having the card doesn't elminate the likelihood to be an idiot.

3.) Active service men and women shouldn't ever have to buy a hunting license. We owe them that much.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
My thoughts:

1.) I'm guessing (having never been in the service I have to guess) that the Marines teach their soldiers to be sure they know what they are shootin at, what's beyond their target, etc just like you would learn in a hunter safety course. Ergo, no hunter safety course needed.

2.) I know a bunch of people I would not want to go hunting with, marines, army, Navy, and non service men alike...and several of them have a hunter safety card. Having the card doesn't elminate the likelihood to be an idiot.

3.) Active service men and women shouldn't ever have to buy a hunting license. We owe them that much.
I feel the same way but hunter safety is different, your learning to hunt not fight, unless in involves extreme bear hunting I don't think it is the same.
Hell I think any one who has ever served honorable should never have to pay for stuff like that let alone taxes, would seem to me they pay the price for our freedom every day they are alive.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
In MN at least, if you are in the service you would get a free license. But, you still need to take a hunters education course for most states.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree that they shouldn't have to buy a license but they should still have to take the hunters safety course to get that license. What if some city boy that joined the military decides he wants to take up hunting but never had much outdoors/nature experience other than in the service. He then has what he considers a successful hunt only to find out at the check station that instead of venison in the freezer he is going to be stocked up on veal. You can't say it wouldn't happen because I'm sure there are a few of us myself included that have heard of it happening and those that have done it supposedly took the course.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
SHould they get a free license...sure I have no problem with that in fact I say give them the license free ... they do more than enough for us...

BUT...being in the military does not exclude you from the law...and the law says you need a hunters safety card...sorry to say but the clerk did the right thing...

its really no different then him going in to buy a bottle of whiskey and being only 20 years old...is he military yes...but lawfully can not drink...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
In SC.
Military is required to take the hunter safety course. At least here at Fort Jackson. They offer the course on base. They also have to pay for a license I believe but they don't have to pay the out of state fees

·
PRIME BOWS
1,180 Posts
Wow

From this Marine, I would of had to put the smack down on someone!!!!!!!! but the law is the law.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts