Archery Talk Forum banner

No man’s land/ the “void”

1816 38
So. I have never been really a believer in “ no man’s land” or “ the void”. Here is what I’ve learned. There is an area that is not fatal. I made a bad shot. Just what it is. I shot high. I know exactly where I hit. The deer high kicked, bucked flopped on the ground back and forth. Laid there a second. Got up, walked in from of me and blowed and walked off. I know there is many things I should have done. Like shoot again but the death flop was miss leading. Small drips of blood for 80 yards then nada. I know I hit under the spine. I know when he got up and blew. That I had not caught the upper part of the lung. I’m still not a fan of the terminology but I made a bad shot. I never thought I would agree with there being a spot I could hit a deer leave 2/3 of a 31” arrows and a broad head in one. And he just walk off. We looked and looked. And looked. So I want to say it’s a real thing but it’s still a weird thought to me.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· The Impartial Archer
24,826 Posts
I posted that pic years ago. The black line is hitting both lungs just at the very top. If you hit where the blue line was added it might "look" good but all you are hitting is the extensions of the spine or vertebra. That's what you hit OP.

That will shock the deer and can knock the down and cause temporary paralysis but you didn't hit the spinal cord OR the lungs so the get back up and leave. If you look at the yellow circle that's the spinal column and the yellow lines are the rib cage and there is not "void" between the two.

That LONG yellow line going up is the vertebrae and people don't realize how big that space is and how much the lungs and spine actually drop. So you just hit high above the lungs........not in any kind of void just a high hit.
Jaw Organism Art Font Snout

· Registered
2,990 Posts
Don’t rule him out on being dead. If you damaged the spine it’s very possible he looses use of his rear legs or some other major body function while running/waking. It may take a few hundred yards to occur.

this deer died in 200 yards. I don’t know how long it took as I didn’t even look for him for several days but he was laying in the direction and on the trail he left on. Absolutely zero blood on the arrow or the ground. And I mean zero. Arrow looked like it was sitting on the shelf at Lancaster. No hair. Just a tiny bit of red meat in the broadhead itslef. After finding him it barely Nicked the top of the spine and split it along the top. My guess it eventually broke his back while running.

would have never in a million years thought it would have killed him. It’s just back of the center of the body and an inch from being over his back.

Attachments

· Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he wouldn’t have gotten up and shook and blowed at I would have felt better. We looked and looked and looped and looped and looped. I just hate making a bad shot. I have no intention of injurying an animal

· Registered
236 Posts
Latest John Dudley video shows him taking a deer a family member shot and wounded earlier in the season. Latest THP video shows a deer Zach wounded earlier and was later taken in the gun season. To me, both shots looked to be lung shots. Either they can live with a lung shot, or a pass thru chest cavity shot can miss vitals.

· Registered
3,518 Posts
There is no void. You shot OVER the spine through the back strap.

I shot a buck last year. High shot. Broadhead literally clipped BOTTOM of the spine but still complete pass thru. Was still a double lung shot and deer still died within 100 yards. Lots of blood where i shot him and little blood where I found him.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,251 Posts
If he wouldn’t have gotten up and shook and blowed at I would have felt better. We looked and looked and looped and looped and looped. I just hate making a bad shot. I have no intention of injurying an animal
I made the exact shot on what would've been my biggest buck years ago and that's the first time I had ever heard the term "no man's land". No man's land was originally a reference to a non-lethal shot, and that area specifically, as I understood it. How a "void" came I to play, I'm not sure, but obviously there's no void.

So, for the rest of our lives, let's please distinguish between "no man's land" (a solid, but non-lethal hit) and a "void", unless people mean "void of lethality", which does obviously exist.

· Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made the exact shot on what would've been my biggest buck years ago and that's the first time I had ever heard the term "no man's land". No man's land was originally a reference to a non-lethal shot, and that area specifically, as I understood it. How a "void" came I to play, I'm not sure, but obviously there's no void.

So, for the rest of our lives, let's please distinguish between "no man's land" (a solid, but non-lethal hit) and a "void", unless people mean "void of lethality", which does obviously exist.
I like it. Just calling it a bad shot. Works for me. It’s no one’s fault but the shooter. Not the deer or the bow or the wind.

· Registered
3,518 Posts
I posted that pic years ago. The black line is hitting both lungs just at the very top. If you hit where the blue line was added it might "look" good but all you are hitting is the extensions of the spine or vertebra. That's what you hit OP.

That will shock the deer and can knock the down and cause temporary paralysis but you didn't hit the spinal cord OR the lungs so the get back up and leave. If you look at the yellow circle that's the spinal column and the yellow lines are the rib cage and there is not "void" between the two.

That LONG yellow line going up is the vertebrae and people don't realize how big that space is and how much the lungs and spine actually drop. So you just hit high above the lungs........not in any kind of void just a high hit.
View attachment 7747407
Nice graphic. It's IMPOSSIBLE to hit below the spine and not hit lungs.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
725 Posts
It’s happened to me twice. One the whitetail ducked and the arrow hit that area. The following week I found him again alive a well. But wiser. And another time on an elk. Both times made me sick. Very little blood, but the arrows were covered in fat. Almost like someone smeared crisco on the whole arrow. Still haunted on the elk shot. 😢

· Registered
84 Posts
I won’t weight in on the void, but just another reminder to keep putting arrows/bullets in the animal until it stops moving, if you have the opportunity.
I’ve seen too many times people shoot, animal goes down or is flopping, they start celebrating.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts