Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Slinging Arrows
1,544 Posts
Location, location, location...ASA feels that the location is not properly suited to handle the large number of shooters. They will find another location better suited to handle the numbers adequately. It's always about the money!

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Might be another site in Texas, tho I have no idea where. Lots of shooters in OK and MO so maybe Arkansas? I'm guessing ASA would not have made this move if they didn't have someplace in mind. Then again they may be testing the market to see what a community is willing to offer to get a shoot. 1,700 shooters represent a lot of money to a town. They know it will fill motels and eating joints, especially when you consider it not just the 1,700 shooters. There's family members who don't shoot but do travel with their shooter.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's interesting, isn't that generally the biggest proam? If so I would assume they would replace it with one in Texas as well

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'd love to see something out WEST!!! Colorado? Utah? Idaho? Montana? It sucks for us westerners to have to travel 1000+ miles for a shoot in some flooded, mosquito infested, stinky wildlife reserve swampland (think Metropolis) :-( Put something in the hills or mountains... works well for the "Total Archery Challenge" crowd...
🖐🎤

·
Registered
392 Posts
We have a perfect spot here in Tallahassee, if only we could get a building built on the site, or ASA would use one a little farther away than usual. The hold a big horse trial event there every year, so space shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
Pse Mach 1
4,946 Posts
Bring something to the northeast!! That would be awesome

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I feel bad for the ASA shooters West of the Mississippi. For the love of all that is holy.. please don't move it to yet another Alabama location. We already have Cullman and Foley (closer for the FL/LA/GA crowd) to cover that area. As much as I would love a closer option.. London, KY is close enough for the TN/KY/NC/VA crowd. Metropolis kind of covers the MO/KS peeps (if they keep that location.. I heard a rumor that this may be their last year also).

Geographically.. if I was going to suggest states to look at I would say look at Oklahoma/Kansas for a more centralized location to pull in some from the West/Midwest, or Ohio for northeastern shooters. After those possibly something in southern South Carolina or northeastern Georgia for East coast crowd.

I'd love to see something out WEST!!! Colorado? Utah? Idaho? Montana? It sucks for us westerners to have to travel 1000+ miles for a shoot in some flooded, mosquito infested, stinky wildlife reserve swampland (think Metropolis) :-( Put something in the hills or mountains... works well for the "Total Archery Challenge" crowd...
🖐🎤
I'd be good with that.. especially if it was close enough to Yellowstone to make a vacation :) It would be nice to have an option that isn't in a hot, muggy and soggy location every year. It's a bad time of year to hold all of them in southern states. I'm thinking April would be great to have one in Idaho/Montana and possibly add the challenge of chilly weather

While we are at it, NFAA could send some more events down south. Tired of just having a single state indoor and single state outdoor target shoot recognized by NFAA down here. Of course I'm not sure if you all have more of those out West or not. I was excited to see both a Rhinehart R-100 and a TAC event here in Tennessee. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend either one :(

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Bring it to Houston! Plenty of places for the shoot to take place, plenty of hotels to be filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NC ASA Director
36,062 Posts
Interesting news

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I am betting that the ASA moves it to Agusta, GA, nobodyreally liked the shoot being there but ASA is close to there so..... which would suck because thats 16hrs from my house!

A great location would be near Ozark, MO or Springfield, MO area, plenty of things for family's to do there....

BUT do not forget that these cities that host these events have to pay the ASA $25,000-50,000 or even more to hold the event in there city!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Problem with going west is the lack of ASA shooters in those states. It's kind of a chicken and egg deal; which comes first the shooters or the shoot. If you draw a map of the US and divided it into quarters, north/south, east/west I think you'd find the bulk of ASA shooters in the lower right quadrant. That's about all they are able to adequately serve now. They've tried some other states without much success. Some tried copying ASA and weren't able to succeed. Remember Regions?

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
I am betting that the ASA moves it to Agusta, GA, nobodyreally liked the shoot being there but ASA is close to there so..... which would suck because thats 16hrs from my house!

A great location would be near Ozark, MO or Springfield, MO area, plenty of things for family's to do there....

BUT do not forget that these cities that host these events have to pay the ASA $25,000-50,000 or even more to hold the event in there city!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Wow. Where did you get that information?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem with going west is the lack of ASA shooters in those states. It's kind of a chicken and egg deal; which comes first the shooters or the shoot. If you draw a map of the US and divided it into quarters, north/south, east/west I think you'd find the bulk of ASA shooters in the lower right quadrant. That's about all they are able to adequately serve now. They've tried some other states without much success. Some tried copying ASA and weren't able to succeed. Remember Regions?
I don’t dispute it is a east coast west coast deal. However to grow the organization a westward expansion is needed

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
I don’t dispute it is a east coast west coast deal. However to grow the organization a westward expansion is needed
Expansion into any of those other three areas would require a major change in the ASA structure. I don't think Mike is prepared to take on that kind of reorganization. I'm not sure he wants to grow ASA much beyond it's current scale. Even though ASA has the logistics involved down to a fine science, that doesn't obscure the fact that putting on a pro am is a major undertaking. I'm sure you'll agree it's more than just setting up 400 plus targets. It's registration and data management, contracting with vendors, contracting for the site, managing staff, and a thousand other little details.

Regions Archery was a failed attempt to replicate ASA, moving into northern states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, among others. For one reason or another it never got off the ground. Rumor had it that the organizer committed $250,000 to the effort and came up empty.

Not disputing the western demand for ASA pro ams. But imho it will take someone other than Mike to make it happen.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Not to change paths too much here but OPA is starting to experience the same thing with their 1 event they have, which as of last year has moved to WI. With that move they also turned it into a ‘camping and music’ event on top of an Archery competition and national event.

The lodging and overall region of the event isn’t big enough for the event they are trying to become and the hotels and lodging that are local have gotten so outrageous in pricing that you’re spending quite a bit of money to attend, then bussing people in on top of it for the party. Also not to mention since this has became as much of a party event (if not more) than a competition, it has lost a lot of interest for people that want to go to shoot and compete.

I like to have a good time and I like to shoot archery as much as the next guy. Just not sure I like mixing them….

·
Registered
481 Posts
Little birdie at Metropolis says Paris is being replaced by Shreveport LA. Says is 100% done.

Same little birdie says London may be replaced by Branson MO. Not 100% on this one.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Little birdie at Metropolis says Paris is being replaced by Shreveport LA. Says is 100% done.

Same little birdie says London may be replaced by Branson MO. Not 100% on this one.
Shreveport? Count me out. Branson? Fine if you want hills...steep hills. LOL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts