Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So have missed the scouting opportunities at this time of the year last year. I started about mid August. My biggest concern was ticks as I am allergic to them. That was until I found a secret repellent that has worked for me 100 percent. At first I was sceptical, but I do not even check myself anymore. And good bye to the high priced Deet. ( It did not work for me anyways). The repellent I found to be working 100 percent of the time is called Permethrin. You can find it at any feed store as farmers spray cows with it as bug repellent. You can buy a 1 ounce bottle of 10 percent solution for around $10. If you dillute it down to 1 percent it works great. Just spray it on all of your outfit you wish to wear into the woods, and let it dry. It not only repells every single bug ever made, when they come in contact with it they will die. If you knew about this trick good for you, if you didn't, well you might have just hit the jackpot of defense against these blood suckers. Here is a link to a video on youtube

https://youtu.be/d-Q0tZl15S8

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Sawyer, been around for years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
I Got Serious!
3,362 Posts
Been using Sawyer for years, haven't found a tick in quite some time!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I use permetherin 10 from TSC. 1oz in a spray bottle filled with water. Works great on the dogs too
Is that oil based? I bought some that was for cattle and farm animals that was oil based and not something I could spray on my hunting gear.

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
I've used it since '95 when the Army sent me to Haiti. Make sure you only treat clothing don't get it on your skin.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I picked up a quart or concentrate two years ago for $20 and I only mix 8 teaspoons with a quart of water to make a quart of spray for my clothing. You can wash your clothes multiple times after treating and the permethrin is still effective. I respray every three washings just to be certain. I treat my portable blind, too.
https://www.fleetfarm.com/search?Ntt=farmgard+permethrin+concentrate

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks for the info! In NC we worry almost as much about the red bugs as the ticks
Ugh!!! You're making me itch just reading that. Hate them lil *******s :mad:

Ticks aren't horrible where I'm at here in TN, but the chiggers are. Up in southern Ohio it's a nightmare with those tiny little ticks that burrow in under your skin. They leave a dang scar and they're fast! Oak mites suck pretty bad, too.

OP, yes perithrin is good stuff!!! I soak my clothes down with it. Just soaked pants, shirt, and boots today so I can work in the woods this weekend. I was looking around for something to keep ticks, chiggers, & mites out of my boots and the guy at Lowe's recommended a bottle of bed bug & flea powder. He said sprinkle it in my boots like foot power and it would keep bugs out. He was right. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
24,056 Posts
Been reading these threads for years with mild interest, as ticks were not a big issue in west MI. Well that has changed as 3x I have found unattached but crawling ticks in the past two years. Does that permethrin have an odor? My turkey hunting buddy invested in "Elimatick" clothing.....is that the same base material?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Ticks will still be "Crawling" on you and Your Clothing even using "Sawyers" or any "Permethrin" as it is Not an Instant Tick Killer as some think it is! I have sprayed my pants and shirts entirely let it dry and gone to my property only to have a few Ticks "Crawling' on both shirt and Pants as well as I use Deet On my exposed Arms and Neck. And had them on both as well. It is nothing as to deep woods off that keep mosquitos off of you for the most part. When I first had them on my Sawyer Sprayed Clothing Sawyers stated it is not an "instant" killer of Ticks it can take some time. Most think like threads like this you can't have Ticks crawling on you and that is a "MYTH" And they can get attached to you so it can get you... This Year besides spraying my clothing down 100% with Sawyer Spray now I am applying Sawyer's "Picaridin Insect Repellent" Lotion to my legs, arms any skin I can reach and apply it just to try and keep them off me. I had one on my Pants and put in some of this lotion and maybe I suffocated it on my trucks rear bumper. Do Not really Know but they are Tough to"kill" This year I have had 4 crawling on my arms and clothing. So I cannot accept that it is "a Sure Thing" as to keeping them Off YOU! IF you do you might get one attached to your Skin as I had 3 weeks ago at my waist as I caught it once I got home and inspected myself as I do every time I get home or back to a Motel. As You NEVER Know for Sure...
Be Safe Lime Disease is nothing you want!
LFM

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Works for me for years too... and no more chiggers which is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000 x’s worse than any tick!

·
Perry Hunter
2,331 Posts
I’ve been mixing my own for years too from concentrate from Tractor Supply. What do you guys use for mixing ratio wise....how much concentrate to ounces of water?
I’ve just always eyeballed, shaken and spray right on my clothes and boots the day I am going out. I don’t put it on the day before and let dry. I usually always spray each time I go in the woods.
I’ve gotten a little overspray on skin here and there but nothing I got to concerned about (maybe I should be?).
I also didn’t trust using it the dog, as I spray him down with apple cider vinegar and water spray...but sounds like some use it in their dogs (read it was toxic for cats).

·
Romans 10 vs 9
11,122 Posts

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I Treat my pants, shirts, and socks with sawyers before opening day of bow season, and then again two months later. I also spray all of my turkey hunting clothes and vests/boots/caps, etc. before turkey season. I use it for all my scouting gear as well. I've only had a few ticks in the past dozen years since using it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is that oil based? I bought some that was for cattle and farm animals that was oil based and not something I could spray on my hunting gear.
some of it is oil based ,some is water based
from tsc , the gordons is oil based and has a kerosene type oder, the martins is water based and has a slight oder in concentrate bottle but no oder when dried after spraying on clothes

i appears that permethrin is not permitted for sale in some states , if you find it is in your state , orderonline before an out of state road trip and pick up

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Been reading these threads for years with mild interest, as ticks were not a big issue in west MI. Well that has changed as 3x I have found unattached but crawling ticks in the past two years. Does that permethrin have an odor? My turkey hunting buddy invested in "Elimatick" clothing.....is that the same base material?
No odor once dry. And yes, that’s what’s on elimatick clothing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts