Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I am processing this one myself. Called three processors and no one will touch a road kill deer.

I normally wouldn't take a deer off the road but I saw this one get smacked on my way home from work. Police left my name with animal control so I will have proof I didn't poach it and still no one will touch it. Little doe, just didn't want to her to go to waste.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Good a time as any to learn how. We have done a few. Only difference is a professional will somehow get a lot more meat out of it. Do you have a meat grinder?

A helpful hint... Keep your knives very sharp and try to keep the cuts to one fluid motion.

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
I think they are doing you a favor, I feel its part of the hunting experience to process my own and have enjoyed it for years.

·
Registered
936 Posts
We have process our own for years, so i will have to disagree that a processor will get more meat out of it. just depends on how you do it. Now if they are adding fat then you will get more. but either way will be a good learning experience.

Just take your time and think it through, remember, the parts you grind will be ground, so they do not matter what they look like, just cut it off the bone. if you are not sure what the steaks are just take the back straps and grind the rest.

Levi

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Cut it up yourself. I started doing it a few years ago and was taught by a friend that is a butcher. I only take my own cut up meat into a place if I want bologna or something. For as much as people were wanting to charge around here I have saved a good bit of money.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
We have to call in road kill here and get a #. Processors take them just fine. I always debone everything myself though.....saves about $80 a deer to skin and debone myself on average.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Glad she's not going to waste. Good luck with processing it yourself. I watched a few buddies do it and it didn't look too bad. Just need a good sharp knife.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
i have processed deer before hit bye car their is massive blood clots all over the body takes really long time to cut it all out when your done not much good meat left that's why be guess

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just did a button buck road kill two weeks ago. He had a broken rear leg and that is it. I got 40lbs of meat off of him with the hind quarter that got hit being fed through the grinder for burger for my dogs. They are happy and chili is in the crock pot as we speak.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
While talking to my processor the subject of roadkill came up and he told me he won't do them anymore. He said they are a pain and normally throws away most of the deer and the customers don't get their money's worth and they get mad with the small amount of meat they get. Just too much of a hassle for him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Awesome, it's not good to see meat go to waste when picked up and sent to incinerator.

I've been told that road kill deer break their necks and that may happen in some case but others that I've seen happen as follows. One had a big blood clot along the middle of its spine. The Back was broken and about 4 inches of the backstrap were not good but when your backstrap is 1 1/2 foot then it's a non-issue.

Also, there are sometime rubs from Road Rash on the Hind and Rear; maybe a broken leg.

A most amazing thing that I've witnessed was a 150 pound buck run - super fast - into traffic. A friend processed that deer and it's heart had 2 lacerations; it was a massive impact. Some ribs were broken so maybe those cut the heart but it's also possible that the crash did it. The deer ran out into traffic going about 25 mph and hit a truck doing about 20 mph. The carcass stuck to the side of the truck for a split second and then did 3 somersaults about 10 feet in the air before slamming into the road.

If it's cold you might leave it hanging for a day or two.

Oh, also, a word of warning - sometimes the gut will burst from the collision when it's road kill; so you open it up to find green. Just clean it out well and lose what isn't safe. If this is the case; then you'll likely focus on the upper half and neck.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. I watched her run straight into the car and bounce off and spin into the other lane, never went under the car. She has a broken front leg and a hole in her side but her guts never broke.

Friend of mine is going to come over tomorrow with his grinder and help me cut her up. Will it be harder to butcher being frozen? It's only about 20 degrees out right now.

The funny thing about this is that I've been hunting three years and my first deer I get off the side of the road. Lol

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I watched her run straight into the car and bounce off and spin into the other lane, never went under the car. She has a broken front leg and a hole in her side but her guts never broke.

Friend of mine is going to come over tomorrow with his grinder and help me cut her up. Will it be harder to butcher being frozen? It's only about 20 degrees out right now.

The funny thing about this is that I've been hunting three years and my first deer I get off the side of the road. Lol
Won't be to bad. We're near 0 the past couple days. I've got one froze solid that it needs to warm up for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Around here the highway patrol will issue you a disposal tag. It's as good as a permit to the processors. I've gotten 3 of them in my lifetime. No problemo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts