Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You had private land to hunt, lived in a different state, had an outfitter to take you on every hunt etc... You might be a MORE SUCCESSFUL hunter, but not a better one! It does not matter where you live, if you have a place to hunt than being a better hunter depends mostly on you! To me a guy that can consistently kill 120" deer here in S.C. is a good hunter. He spends a lot of time scouting and learning what the deer are doing and how to kill them year in and year out. Size of antler is relative to where you are, hunting abilities are not!! I think that most guys would kill more and better deer (or elk/goats etc..) in their own states, if they really dedicated themselves to being better hunters. Less impact when scouting/hanging stands, being willing to walk the extra mile to access a stand site without disturbing deer, or having the restraint to stay out of area's until the rut. Staying in good shape, practicing, being willing to push yourself farther than most...To me being a better hunter has very little to do with money and location, and more to do with desire and dedication. Ghost

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
True to a degree, but the percentages will floor ya. To be perfect is one thing , but to be better well we just keep trying.

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True to a degree, but the percentages will floor ya. To be perfect is one thing , but to be better well we just keep trying.

Crazy Wolf.

? You lost me... what percentages are you talking about? Ghost

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You had private land to hunt, lived in a different state, had an outfitter to take you on every hunt etc... You might be a MORE SUCCESSFUL hunter, but not a better one! It does not matter where you live, if you have a place to hunt than being a better hunter depends mostly on you! To me a guy that can consistently kill 120" deer here in S.C. is a good hunter. He spends a lot of time scouting and learning what the deer are doing and how to kill them year in and year out. Size of antler is relative to where you are, hunting abilities are not!! I think that most guys would kill more and better deer (or elk/goats etc..) in their own states, if they really dedicated themselves to being better hunters. Less impact when scouting/hanging stands, being willing to walk the extra mile to access a stand site without disturbing deer, or having the restraint to stay out of area's until the rut. Staying in good shape, practicing, being willing to push yourself farther than most...To me being a better hunter has very little to do with money and location, and more to do with desire and dedication. Ghost

I wanted to say that, but thought I would get this :deadhorse. Thanks Ghost.:wink:

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
? You lost me... what percentages are you talking about? Ghost

In regards to the things you had mentioned in your post. there is a percentage that will go the xtra mile as you have talked about. But theres so many that are unsure about there true hunting skills. They are the ones that are still learning there decision making (still unclear.) They want to learn and do more but something is lacking maybe confidence. This is the percentage iam speaking of. Maybe I have taken this in a direction that you will not understand, but I hope you do. Sorry if I spoke out of tune. This is your thread. so my apologies if I mis led in the direction you were taking.

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
In regards to the things you had mentioned in your post. there is a percentage that will go the xtra mile as you have talked about. But theres so many that are unsure about there true hunting skills. They are the ones that are still learning there decision making (still unclear.) They want to learn and do more but something is lacking maybe confidence. This is the percentage iam speaking of. Maybe I have taken this in a direction that you will not understand, but I hope you do. Sorry if I spoke out of tune. This is your thread. so my apologies if I mis led in the direction you were taking.

Crazy Wolf.
But shouldn't the individuals that are still learning and unsure be the ones that have the most to work on as far as hunting skills. Better property is not going to make you a better hunter. I think this thread addresses the other thead as to what would make you a better hunter...some seem to want instant gratification. Be the best you can be... with what you have. :sorry: in advance this is all JMO.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I am an excellent shooter/killer, but I continue to learn to be a better hunter every single time I go out in the woods/mountains. There is nothing better than actually spending the time out in the woods, whether you have a weapon in your hands, or just your bino's. I learn more and more every time I go out, and I have been hunting elk and mule deer for 27 years. Nobody will ever get to the point where they know it all, or can't learn something new from being out there. There is no substitute for actual experience.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
not trying to pick a fight, but are you saying the those of us who hunt private land ( 97% of kansas is privately owned) dont do all the things you listed? i mean seriously I think there is more responciblity as a hunter when you have to manage a property for you, and those who hunt with you. I know i am putting my fair share of scouting in, walking, working and learning. I really dont like the people that hunt on public land sitting there telling me that because i hunt on our family farm (that i manage for game.. and yes im 19) that they are a better or more hard working hunter then i am. Its about the time and dedication to you, the land, and your ability to use your equipment that counts.

In theory i do agree with the fact that generally there are better quality of deer on private land but thats only because the owner can make his own stipulations on what a deer has to be to be a "shooter". If they had thus rules on public land the deer heards would benifit as they have on private land. That DOESNT make them any easier to get close to buddy sorry:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not trying to pick a fight, but are you saying the those of us who hunt private land ( 97% of kansas is privately owned) dont do all the things you listed? i mean seriously I think there is more responciblity as a hunter when you have to manage a property for you, and those who hunt with you. I know i am putting my fair share of scouting in, walking, working and learning. I really dont like the people that hunt on public land sitting there telling me that because i hunt on our family farm (that i manage for game.. and yes im 19) that they are a better or more hard working hunter then i am. Its about the time and dedication to you, the land, and your ability to use your equipment that counts.

In theory i do agree with the fact that generally there are better quality of deer on private land but thats only because the owner can make his own stipulations on what a deer has to be to be a "shooter". If they had thus rules on public land the deer heards would benifit as they have on private land. That DOESNT make them any easier to get close to buddy sorry:darkbeer:
I hope you were not looking to be offended. I didn't say anywhere that if you have private land your are LESS of a hunter. Just that having private land would not make you a "better" hunter. It might make you more SUCCESFUL, but not BETTERI believe a good hunter is defined by how hard they work at killing animals where they hunt!! Reread my post my post young man, you missed the point if you think it was about how easy "shooters" are to kill on private vs. public land...Ghost

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Alot of what you said is true Ghost .However there are more restraints on indevidual hunters than you first look at in your theory .

Hunting of any type is much like haveing a bussiness.Location ,Location, Location,This one word is the absalute most important part of any succsessfull hunt as it is in any bussiness.

I am not talking about where to hunt on a peice of property most know that part .The context of my meaning is all about where you hunt the ,state ,the county ,even to a degree the part of the country.There some states that have very little if any public hunting ground ,or private ground access is very very limited at best.There are also areas that have vast acerage and little hunting pressure.

Also the deer herd is never distributed evenly there are parts of the country that may only have 2-5 deer per square mile ,conversly areas that are so over run that deer quality and size is atrocious .We as humans and hunters tend to think that every ones hunting area has the same type and number of deer we do.

Also money and time are usualy interconected .Being a better hunter means a larger investment in time ,scouting ,hanging stands. Even the approach to your stand may determine if you will have time to hunt or not to hunt.We all need to work for a liveing and family as well as any real obligations should come before any hobby includeing bowhunting .:cry:

This connects itself to Money .The more freed up money you have the more time you have for those things that help you to become a better hunter .The list of things that will hellp your succsess is as fallows .

New equipment ,bow ,arrows ,broadheads ,treestands or blinds that allow you to hunt that once unhuntable area due to foliage and terrain.New camos ,new truck to aid in the ease of all those scouting and trips to the woods .And lets not forget the ability to practice more because you are working less .Oh and the ability to buy good hunting land or go on dreem hunts.Money and time allowfor all those things and many more.

These things are called cause and effect .Yes There are things and changes that can make anyone a better anything .They all boil down to time and money that are directly linked .Yes I know greaty hunters who are wealthy and just as good who are poor .Both those demographics have one thing in common usualy "TIME" .One because of lack of ttuely being attaced to mony thus thay have time ,the other has lots of money and there for more time and better equipment .Its almost a rub one hase to get better the other desires to get better at any expense.

IMO the average guy who hunts that honors his job, family,countery /community ,and god first either gets bettere at thier hobbys ar slowly at first leaves them behind.JMHO:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shouldernuke I agree about priorities and that time = money. I realize that, and, that is the reason I did not mention equipment, or more time to hunt in my statement of things that would not make you a better hunter... I was aiming my post mostly at the people who believe that location or private ownership, makes them a better hunter. I believe that today many people mix up being a good hunter for being a succesful hunter. Ghost

·
Registered
258 Posts
I disagree,quality of deer and experances can teach you to be a better hunter,I've learned and seen alot in the 3 years hunting Ohio that I never would have seen in Vt. IMO I'm a better hunter because of it.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I disagree,quality of deer and experances can teach you to be a better hunter,I've learned and seen alot in the 3 years hunting Ohio that I never would have seen in Vt. IMO I'm a better hunter because of it.
Bigger deer in Ohio taught you what exactly that you can now use to hunt deer in Vermont? :confused: You are withouit a doubt a better hunter in Ohio after 3 yrs. because of the things I mentioned originally, dedication and desire. Again success does not always equal being a BETTER hunter in my book. If that were the case than Milo Hanson would be the greatest hunter ever!! Ghost

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I guess I disagree with what I think this thread means. Given you have dedication to the sport and time............I think you'll become BETTER overall if you live in a good whitetail area or have good land to hunt.

You can learn to pattern deer(much easier on private land) and you can learn much more about MATURE deer if you are in a place that has good numbers. I'm not saying guys that have PRIVATE land in KS,IL,IA etc are better because it's easier. Those that live there , and want to learn, have a better opportunity period. I envy the guys that have that opportunity. I don't think I have less skills, just a smaller scope. !!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I disagree with what I think this thread means. Given you have dedication to the sport and time............I think you'll become BETTER overall if you live in a good whitetail area or have good land to hunt.

You can learn to pattern deer(much easier on private land) and you can learn much more about MATURE deer if you are in a place that has good numbers. I'm not saying guys that have PRIVATE land in KS,IL,IA etc are better because it's easier. Those that live there , and want to learn, have a better opportunity period. I envy the guys that have that opportunity. I don't think I have less skills, just a smaller scope. !!
I disagree to a point. I think that any dedicate d and disciplined hunter who keeps themselve in shape, given the chance, can outhunt the lazy undisciplined any day. Think of it this way. In surfing, the unarguable best surfer ever is a guy named Kelly Slater. He is from Cocoa Beach Florida, not exactly a surfing mecca! What does he attribute his success all over the world to? He aid that growing up in Floride the waves are small and less powerful, causing you to have to try harder to gain speed and surf powerfully.If you can surf well on Florida's wave's you will be able to surf well anywhere, given a little bit of time to adjust! I believe that a guy that drags a 110" buck out of the woods in Florida every year would be able to drag a mature buck outta the woods anywhere they existed, because althougght there is a learning curve, hard work, dedication, and a burning desire to succeed, will cause you to do what must be done to kill whatever it is you are hunting, whereever that may be!! Ghost

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quality,not just bigger or mature,more along the lines of buck to doe ratio,rut intensity,just plain more bucks,not saying what I've learned in Vt hasn't helped,but I believe I've seen so much in Ohio and thats made me a better hunter in Vt and wherever I hunt now. So IMO its made me a better hunter:wink:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
OK........then nobody is any better at anything else at anything right? If it's all up to desire, urge, combined with staying in shape then anybody can do this.

In that case, I'm as good as say...Chuck Adams. I've just not been given enough time. :confused:

I'm not trying to bash you Ghost. What I read of yours here on AT are mostly things I can live with. I can live with this too, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, I DO think some are better at this game than others. I think it's a gift of sorts. Some learn to see their hunting areas in a different light and are just plain good at it. It's a little bit of a gift I suppose.

In the end, yes we are ALL equal. But for our time here, some are suited for different things........and in those catagories......some are dealt the high cards and some not so much.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quality,not just bigger or mature,more along the lines of buck to doe ratio,rut intensity,just plain more bucks,not saying what I've learned in Vt hasn't helped,but I believe I've seen so much in Ohio and thats made me a better hunter in Vt and wherever I hunt now. So IMO its made me a better hunter:wink:

See I believe you are confusing time in the woods with location... The things you learned did not come as a result of sitting on the couch watching TV in Ohio, they came from the time it takes to be in a stand, watching deer, even when it's cold/rainy- no matter where you are !! That I believe is a result of hard work and desire, but I could be wrong. Ghost

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I disagree to a point. I think that any dedicate d and disciplined hunter who keeps themselve in shape, given the chance, can outhunt the lazy undisciplined any day. Think of it this way. In surfing, the unarguable best surfer ever is a guy named Kelly Slater. He is from Cocoa Beach Florida, not exactly a surfing mecca! What does he attribute his success all over the world to? He aid that growing up in Floride the waves are small and less powerful, causing you to have to try harder to gain speed and surf powerfully.If you can surf well on Florida's wave's you will be able to surf well anywhere, given a little bit of time to adjust! I believe that a guy that drags a 110" buck out of the woods in Florida every year would be able to drag a mature buck outta the woods anywhere they existed, because althougght there is a learning curve, hard work, dedication, and a burning desire to succeed, will cause you to do what must be done to kill whatever it is you are hunting, whereever that may be!! Ghost
I've seen a little of Kelly Slater, I know NOTHING about "waves bro". He's got talent no doubt. I'm just not sure even HE understand the reason he's that good. He's no philosopher for sure. Unless of course he's just putting on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts