Archery Talk Forum banner

Nock Fit Question

631 5
I just put on a new set of strings and was getting ready to set my nocking point. When I attached the arrow the nock "freely" slides up and down the serving. It seems way to loose. Is this normal or should they fit tight?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· (aka lug nut)
54,880 Posts
I just put on a new set of strings and was getting ready to set my nocking point. When I attached the arrow the nock "freely" slides up and down the serving. It seems way to loose. Is this normal or should they fit tight?
Everybody usually wants to know how to get a few more fps
of arrow speed.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=375122&referrerid=22477

Click that link for Deezlin's picture thread
about how to use serving thread to tie
adjustable nocking points.

The tied nocking point below
and the tied nocking point above
are adjustable,
which means you can spin them
and the tied nocking point will spin up the center serving
or
spin down the center serving.

You want a gap of about 1/32nd inch
between the arrow nock and the top tied nocking point.

You want the nock groove to easily slide up and down
the center serving,
and you want the ears of the nock to hold up the weight of the arrow,
while you hold the bow so the bowstring is horizontal.

If the ears can hold up the weight of the arrow,
then that's all you need.

· Owner/LeadingEdgeArchery
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nuts&Bolts. That link you sent me was awesome. The one thing that it did not address is the proper way to get a D-Loop tight. My big problem in installing a loop is getting it tight enough to no twist around the serving. I did my GF and she is constantly having to twist the loop around so that her peep rotates correctly. Any advise?

· Banned
3,222 Posts
if you want a tighter fit. re-serve with the next larger dia.center serving material. Some nocks like g nocks for example come in large and small groove. if the nocks your using are available in a smaller groove?

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,602 Posts
I use a loose fitting nock. It should definitely move up and down freely. Of course the arrow shouldn't be able to just fall off the string.

I feel that nocks that are snug on the string are robbing arrow speed but more importantly have a bigger possibility of releasing from the string inconsistently.

The Easton 3D nocks don't have "notches" in the string groove and release smoothly from the string. I used them for hunting and targets. I've been using Easton "G" nocks lately on my hunting and target arrows.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
Thanks Nuts&Bolts. That link you sent me was awesome. The one thing that it did not address is the proper way to get a D-Loop tight. My big problem in installing a loop is getting it tight enough to no twist around the serving. I did my GF and she is constantly having to twist the loop around so that her peep rotates correctly. Any advise?
Well, I have the same problem with D-loops. I don't seem to be able to get them tight enough either. I have one of these D-loop pliers and it will get them tighter than any needle nose pliers will. But, you really don't need the D-loop that tight. The best way to fix your peep sight is to walk strands around the peep until it will rotate to a straight on position and leave the D-loop were it wants to be.

Now, as most people have already mentioned, you usually want the nock to fit on the string and have enough grip for the arrow to hold on when pointed down vertical. However, some captive rest can hold the arrow a little and you will need a tighter nock fit to draw the bow with in this case. I have also seen where the use of a cushion button or a caliper release off the string can wedge a light fitting nock off the string. But, in general the loose fitting nock is better for speed and wear on the serving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.