Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bareshafted an arrow yesterday and was I ever shocked. They seem to shooting just a small amount weak, shooting right were I'm aiming but really nock high. I dropped my nock point down but it didn't help much. I'm shooting grizzly stick sitkas full length w/145gr points with brass inserts. Hmmm, do I have to drop down the weight of my field tips? cut the arrows down? I bet the nock was 6in higher than where it entered the target. They seem to fly great with fletching but apparantly I have some tuning issues- Steve

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Nock high is the one position that can be hard to figure out in my experience working with other archers.

When you have done everything you can to adjust the bow and arrow to eliminate the problem and it is still occuring...in almost every case it has to do with your form and release.

Sometimes having to low of a nock will give a high nock indication.

A few suggestions:

Make sure you move your nock only about a 1/16" at the most when trying to find the sweet spot.

Make sure you are not pinching the arrow with your fingers too tight.

Use 2 nocks. 1 above and 1 below your arrow.

Videotape yourself and watch yourself in slow motion to see if you're causing the problem.

Ray ;)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm

Nock high is the one position that can be hard to figure out in my experience working with other archers.

When you have done everything you can to adjust the bow and arrow to eliminate the problem and it is still occuring...in almost every case it has to do with your form and release.

Sometimes having to low of a nock will give a high nock indication.

A few suggestions:

Make sure you move your nock only about a 1/16" at the most when trying to find the sweet spot.

Make sure you are not pinching the arrow with your fingers too tight.

Maybe I was going the wrong way? I was thinking I needed to lower my nock. The funny thing there is no nock high when shooting fletched.- Steve
Use 2 nocks. 1 above and 1 below your arrow.

Videotape yourself and watch yourself in slow motion to see if you're causing the problem.

Ray ;)
Maybe I was going the wrong way? I was thinking I needed to lower it. The funny thing is with fletched arrows they hit perfectly. -Steve

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Steve, Fletched arrows will look better because the feathers correct the flight of the arrow.. Which is why we bare shaft test so we can tune the bow and the arrows.

A good starting point for your nock is 3/8" above center and work from there. You will be more likely to raise the nock than lower it. Randy

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Not 6"....but a "little" nock high when bareshafting is ideal.

At some point......your nock impact pos. will lower. Also note that lowering your nock point will make your arrows (MAY) react more weak. If you're on the cusp of weak/stiff.....this shouldn't be overlooked.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same issue once, it was driving me nuts. No matter what I did....... nock high.
Two nockpoints and lowering my elbow solved it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts