Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , so I am getting back into archery after many years. I have new strings for both my bows and some new arrows. I do not want a brass nock, I ordered some serving string and a server. Is there a good pictoral for a guy with two thumbs on how to do this ??

Thanks
Dwight

www.rimfireshooting.com

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It is my understanding that you just cut a long length of serving and start tying overhand knots.....top then bottom top then bottom etc until you get the knock of the desired size that you want. You can then adjust it by turning it up and down then string. If I am wrong I am sure that someone will be along to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have done it lots of times but instead of me typing it out, just google " tying on a nock". The first one listed does a pretty good job of illustrating it.
The only thing I would add is burn the ends of the serving to finish the nock-set. Use your wetted finger to put out the ends of the burning serving when they ars down close to the string.

If you just tie the nock set snug, you can twist it up or down the string to adjust nock height. Once I have my height correct, I measure it and then I cut off the one I just tied and tie a new one in the correct spot, but this time I tie it very tight all the way thru. Done this way , it won't move!

If you are shooting 3 under, tie on a second one below the arrow with about 1/16th " gap below the arrow nock.

Ike

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have used serving for nocks but I find that dental floss works about as good as anything. If you tie one overhand knot, leave a tag end, then wrap it until you have the size you want, cut it and tie a couple of overhand knots to the other tag, one drop of superglue and it's done.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I don't need the server at all ???

Oh well , Im sure I can find things to do with it....it does make the spool of serving material easier to keep up with.:wink:

Dwight

www.rimfireshooting.com

·
Registered
905 Posts
No, you don't need the jig to tie on a nock. You could pick up some center serving, string material and a string jig and start making bow strings with that, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts