Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do if you have a buck coming in, but he is only coming around between 12 am and 4 am? Do you try to move in the direction he usually comes from, to try and cut him off b-4 dark? Or do you just try to keep the does coming around and catch him during the rut? Any advise is helpful.

Chad

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
haha well seeing that it's 12 am and not 30 minutes after dark, I'd try to see if I could figure out where he's bedding. Try to get on a trail outside of that where you can set up without him knowing it. Might be a few hundred yards from where the pics are being taken. If you have a creek back over that way, you might walk it and try to find a crossing as well. Thats a good spot to catch one.

· Registered
446 Posts
Relax --don't get to close to his bedding area or you will run him out of there--when the rut comes around spend as much time in the woods that you can--he will make a mistake--females have done that to must of us:embara::darkbeer:

· Registered
4,250 Posts
Relax --don't get to close to his bedding area or you will run him out of there--when the rut comes around spend as much time in the woods that you can--he will make a mistake--females have done that to must of us:embara::darkbeer:
This is good advice. Don't run him out. Just wait till the rut.

· Registered
3,860 Posts
It really depends. Your camera may be getting pics from 12-4, but he may be very close by at dusk or dawn. Depending on the area he may be moving miles to feed or check his area. In NW Ohio..I've seen the same 10pt 2 miles apart in July, then again in Sept. Cover their is sparse...mostly wide open farm land with little pockets (1-5 acres of cover) sporadic throughout the area. Where I hunt in Southern Michigan there is much more cover...We have pictures of an 11pt only at dark in the middle of the night, although I know one of his favorite bedding spots in right behind an abondoned farm house. One trail cameral location will tell you very little of the puzzle other than he likes your area. A few more would help.

The majority of the mature bucks right now will be doing most of their movement in pressured areas after dark. That's just the way it is. Not that you couldn't still get a shot. If you're determined to hunt "that" buck...I would scout, scout, scout...Drive at dusk by neighboring fields, shine after dark if legal. Look for sign of big mature bucks..tracks, huge rubs. Make mock scrapes in your area and put cameras on them. If he's close buy he'll start hitting them very soon right after dark. If I was after one buck and one buck only I'd scout, scout, scout, scout then hunt. You want your impact to be low until he starts moving more, then you move in while the area is hot. If your property is a main bedding area for does...keep it fresh until prime breeding time. If it's a main food source hunt funnels to and from it where you can get in undetected, but close to where you think he might bed. It's time consuming but you have to go the extra mile than the average hunter who hunts every evening or mornings for 3-4 hours. Keep the does comfortable on your property and he'll be nosing around eventually. Like I said you try to find small pieces of a big puzzle and then just use good judgement on entrance/exits, and stand locations. Unfortunately I don't have one buck that I'm after this year. I have several good bucks I've located, but no absolute monsters, so I'm hunting several high percentage areas on several different properties hoping a monster shows up during the pre rut, rut. Next year I may have a booner on one of the properties, and if I do I would devote all of my time trying to scout/hunt him. Most of my properties are very small so it's tough for me to bounce around hunting down a particular buck, but if you have the property size you can do it!

· Registered
35 Posts
What do you do if you have a buck coming in, but he is only coming around between 12 am and 4 am? Do you try to move in the direction he usually comes from, to try and cut him off b-4 dark? Or do you just try to keep the does coming around and catch him during the rut? Any advise is helpful.

Chad
i'm in a simular situation, and i'm going to hunt this area, in the hopes that he comes out with a little shooting light, i've seen him right at quiting time just leaving the bedding area. after all the doe's and smaller bucks have come out.
this area is low pressure right now anyway, and i think he might i will be carful to not over hunt it, if not.....RUT !!! I know he's there now. good for me and hopefully not so good for him

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ttt

Thanks guys.....I think ill hold off on moving closer to the bedding area for now. I think ill take my chances closer to the rut, and use some tinks to try and lure him on in. Hopefully he will be a lil more stupid by then.

· Registered
6,040 Posts

Chad
You buy one of those motion detector lights and hang it about 11 feet, when he comes through and is blinded, it gives you ample time for a clean, ethical kill. They use those safety eyes for garage door openers around us. Try it, you might find it's one of the better ways to take mature buck quickly and clean.

To answer your question seriously, HUNT. that's how you'll kill em. Be there when he walks passed during daylight...no one will predict when or why, but trust me when i tell you this. he will show up when you LEAST expect him to. remember this....

Usually like 10:30 am when you are thinking about getting home and shagging the wife....or around 1pm when you feel a crap coming on....or mind is just totally somewhere else. EVERY buck i've ever killed happened so fast and not once expected it. it can't be predicted.

Your question is something people talk and think about every year and if I had the answer to all of them, i'm talking "Bill Gates type" money rolling in.

· Registered
2,735 Posts
Others have eluded to it but your trail camera only covers approximately 4500 square feet so this joker could be to the left, to the right or behind the camera during daylight hours. Put your camera on video if you haven't already. Determine the direction he is coming from and going to. Leave that camera there and place another camera further towards where he came from. If you begin getting pictures of him there leap frog the original camera in the same direction until you figure out where and why he is coming from that direction or you run out of your property. If he is coming from another property your only choice is the rut or hunting pressure. I know your pain. When you hunt small acreage the rut is usually the only chance you have if the acreage your hunting isn't prime bedding.

· Registered
5,185 Posts
Three things will eventually get him up earlier in the daytime hours. The rut is the obvious one. Prior to the rut, if some of his closer food sources disappear he may get up earlier to travel the extra distance to other sources (or he may just move his bedding area near the new food source), and eventually cold winter weather.

· Registered
207 Posts
I'd reposition my cameras a little and try and figure out what direction he is coming from, and/or look for his track after a rain and kind of ease in and look. You are still far enough away from the season where it shouldn't hurt to the point of him relocating. But if I could approximate general direction from where he's coming from, I'd try and relate it back to a topo map and figure out bedding and go from there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.