Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I had several nice and decent bucks on my trail cam pix last year that showed up in late October. They were all between 10pm and 3 or 4 am. I wondered the same thing myself. :confused: I did take the nice 6x4 on Thanksgiving morning around 7:30am so don't lose hope. Just play the wind, hunt smart and don't leave a sign that you were in the area. Eventually you may just get lucky! I'd rather be lucky than good. :)

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Until lately my deer were coming at all times a day to my salt lick and my apples but the past week they have only came during the night. How do I get to bag these bucks if they are only out at night????
Wait till they go in the seeking mood.

The nocturnal mood, a phenomenon that is observed by most, shortly before the season. See it every year where good bucks are somewhat predictable and visable in daylight, then right about the time most are out scouting and setting stands, etc., for the upcoming season they vanish. They go all Summer without disturbance, then all the sudden, a steady influx of human activity, they very readily pick up on this, and go strictly nocturnal until the rut.

· Registered
28,629 Posts
How often are you checking these spots? Could be your presence has them on the move.

· Registered
269 Posts
Up until 1 1/2 weeks ago I was averaging 262 photos every 5 days on one of my cameras, one acre food plot, mineral lick & small water-hole, every hour of the day & night, has dropped to less than 1/2 and the majority are between 3:00 to 6:45 AM.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Them big boy gotta stretch them legs every now and then, find their bedroom get in close, watch the wind and hunt mid day if they are moving at night, some time mid day hes gonna move it might not be but 100 yds but that may be all you need. good luck theyre tough

When the young ones get old , you got to get the old ones! :wink:

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Up until 1 1/2 weeks ago I was averaging 262 photos every 5 days on one of my cameras, one acre food plot, mineral lick & small water-hole, every hour of the day & night, has dropped to less than 1/2 and the majority are between 3:00 to 6:45 AM.
Not to get off subject, but 262 pics every 5 days, and only see half now?

That's just insane, I couldn't amagine seeing a 1/10 th of that amount in 5 days? Sounds like that area needs H.R.?

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,471 Posts
That's what happens this time of year. My mineral site cam went from 500 or so pics every two nights to about a 100 and they are mostly does/fawns and an ocasional small buck.

The big boys change their ways this time of year around here. I couldn't hunt this afternoon but I did have a couple hours to go set up a few cams in places I think they may have moved to. We'll see how smart I am when I check the cams.....

If your area is anything like mine, they will be back (with friends never seen on cam before) in two to three weeks. It's the same story every year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.