Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It always amazes me how adept those big ole mature bucks are at keeping a low profile, even when they are living right under your nose. To me, thats what makes them the ultimate N.A. big game animal. I had seen this guy a couple of times back in the middle of June and then he totally went underground and I hadn't seen him since. I finally got lucky last night and managed to catch him off guard long enough to get some video of him. I believe that I saw this deer last year a few times in the same spot and possibly have some video of him from '04. If he is in fact the same deer, I'm pretty sure he's a 5 yr. old...which is pretty darn old for a buck in one of the hardest hunted areas in the northeast. I'm not sure though, he doesn't seem to have the mass typical of a fully mature deer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sahweeeeeeeeet!

That one will keep your butt planted in a stand come the rut!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gps

I thinkd Greggs GPS broke.....sent the coordinates to me....I promise I won't do anything but looks at him!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Like hayslope said, keep your butt planted in that stand during the rut, because that could be one of the only times when he is dumb enough to come out in the daylight and give you a shot. Good luck with him, he looks like a BRUTE!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Did that buck just amble past your cam or is there some sort of bait nearby?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did that buck just amble past your cam or is there some sort of bait nearby?
Nope. I got him on video-camera with a spotlight.

·
Registered
434 Posts
That's a nice buck for sure, good luck....I would keep the spot light off of him or he'll go further into never, never land......a buck that big doesn't take much to send him deeper into his sanctuary cover.

·
Registered
821 Posts
WNY Bowhunter said:
Nope. I got him on video-camera with a spotlight.
Is there any wonder why they go nocturnal in your area with this these type of antics? I'm really glad those activities are illegal in IL. A little peace and quiet would really increase your odds of killing him. He's a great buck!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[Is there any wonder why they go nocturnal in your area with this these type of antics? I'm really glad those activities are illegal in IL. A little peace and quiet would really increase your odds of killing him./QUOTE]

MK M GOBL,

This deer went under the radar in June, several months before most people around here start their spotlighting "antics." I'm just surprised how I never managed to see him for 3 1/2 month period. I think alot of people hear the word spotlighting and instantly associate it with suspicion and poaching. However, it is legal here as long as a few stipulations are followed and is in fact, a great way to get a look at those big ole night prowling bucks. A majority of the largest bucks that I've ever laid eyes were with the aid of a light. I don't believe that deer associate having a light beam directed at them as being an immediate death threat. They typically don't seem any more on edge then when you pull over and start glassing them before dark. They know where the roads are and they know what the sound of a vehicle motor is. I don't think that they're gonna move out of an area just because a truck stops down on the road a starts waving a beam of light around. One things for certain, once they stop feeling comfortable with that truck being there, they're gonna take off whether its a half hour before dark or two hours after. The deer around here have grown up recognizing human intrusion as part of their every day life and spotlighting is just one form of it. Once the slugs start flying in a month and a half it will be a whole differnt situation.

Regardless, good luck this season out there in the land of the big boys. Make sure you post some photos if ya knock down a good one :cocktail: .

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
photoshopped:wink: ....u hold the light on him until daylight...i am on my way:tongue: :tongue:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts