Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last two days I have been really working w/ my new MT Sport. I shot w/ my neighbor and we both noticed a very loug "buong" sound when the bow fires.

We both figured it was the limbs just vibrating. So today I picked up the split limb Limb Savers for $24.99. To my surprise this did NOTHING. Me and my buddy couldn't believe it. We both thought these would take care of the sound.

He seems to think it's one the limb pockets. I on the other hand think it's the Quick Tune 2000 Rest coming down. There is a little bolt that stops the rest. I think the vibration of that is going thru the rest and thru the riser.

The only thing I can think of is to try a new rest. If it still makes the sound, at least I would eliminate the QT2000 as the culprit. Any other thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

·
Banned
843 Posts
something is loose? Go over everything to make sure its tight. A rest might make some noise but not much. Sight bracket? If a limb is loose in the limb pocket you could have a serious problem.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree completely about having a "serious" problem. We went over the whole bow and made sure everything was tight.

Maybe I should make a trip to the shop and see what they think the noise is.

Anyone w/ an MT Sport...does your make noise? I have a buddy that shoots the Razertec and he is as quiet as can be. I was hoping my MT Sport would be the same way.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Try this before you make a trip to the store.remove one item at a time,say the sights and shoot it in front of your target,next if you have a quiver,remove it,for the rest,you can shoot off the shelf and listen for your loud noise. good luck and hope this works

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
DT

can you give a little more info?? Arrow, pounds you're pulling, are you using d-loop, what all is on the bow? what is on the string?
Is the rest set up to hit the back of the riser shelf? It should be, and the arrow holder should be far enough back on the shelf so the arms hit it, no hit to the stop pin you're talking about. You have a good set up there and I'm sure it will come around. WR

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Re: DT

WR said:
can you give a little more info?? Arrow, pounds you're pulling, are you using d-loop, what all is on the bow? what is on the string?

Is the rest set up to hit the back of the riser shelf? It should be, and the arrow holder should be far enough back on the shelf so the arms hit it, no hit to the stop pin you're talking about. You have a good set up there and I'm sure it will come around. WR
Specs:
'03 Hoyt MT Sport w/ Cam & 1/2's
Pulling - 65 lbs / Let off - 65%
29" draw
On the string - rope D Loop and the rubber whispee silencers
Arrows - Cabela's Carbon Hunter w/ 100 grain field tip
Rest - Quik Tune 2000
Site - HHA Triple Threat 4000
IBO speed- 252
Stabilizer - 7 inch Shock Blocker
Split Limb Limb Savers

The rest set is NOT hiting the riser. Should it be?

Hollowpoint10 said:
Do you have any silencers on the string? This is where most noise comes from.
Yea, I have the little rubber whispee things. I have no clue what they are called. The shop put them on the bow.

·
Banned
843 Posts
My magnatech is the most quiet bow ive owned(1st one cam) with split limb savers and a Gold Key Tranq.,no string leeches.480 gr arrow at 65lb also helps.Its not as fast as my previous 2 medium cam bow,but it is very quiet. Also try the cable gaurd and mount screws.The cam and a 1/2 are a lil more noisy than a 1 cam.The GKF Tranq. is a better stabilizer than NAP's.They should stick to rests and heads.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pig sticker said:
My magnatech is the most quiet bow ive owned(1st one cam) with split limb savers and a Gold Key Tranq.,no string leeches.480 gr arrow at 65lb also helps.Its not as fast as my previous 2 medium cam bow,but it is very quiet. Also try the cable gaurd and mount screws.The cam and a 1/2 are a lil more noisy than a 1 cam.The GKF Tranq. is a better stabilizer than NAP's.They should stick to rests and heads.
Interesting. Something must be off on my bow. I will keep working and get it right, and if I still have issues...I am going back to the shop to get their advice.

·
Custom callmaker
3,463 Posts
I would hold off shooting untill I press the bow and check the bolts on the cam and .5 . I had a darton that had a bolt loosen and it cracked the limb. You can't check all the bolts while its under tension or they will all seem tight. I have a razor tech and its very quiet, altho your bow has a mag. riser so it will be a touch louder. Also your rest doesn.t hit the riser but it does hit the pin internally that may be making the noise. I also shoot that rest and I found if you put mole skin or the rubber arrow holder under it to cusion the fall it reduces a lot of the snap on the shot, that way it doesn't hit the pin so hard and it will save the roll pin for eventually it will work loose.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Check your bushing!!!!!!!!!

If your bushing are loose or worn on your Hoyt, the metal washers will vibrate and make an alot of noise. Try taking your fist and giving the limbs a quick knock near the cams. If it is the bushings or spacers, you'll hear them vibrate.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meleagris1 said:
Check your bushing!!!!!!!!!

If your bushing are loose or worn on your Hoyt, the metal washers will vibrate and make an alot of noise. Try taking your fist and giving the limbs a quick knock near the cams. If it is the bushings or spacers, you'll hear them vibrate.
Loose or worn out? On a brand new bow? Anyone have a pic of where the bushings would be?

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Your bushings,spacers and C-clips are all the pieces that slide onto your axle, other than the cam itself. Even in a new bow they may rattle if not installed properly. I noticed mine started vibrating after a month of shooting in really high humidity. Did you bang on the limbs to see if that is where the vibration is coming from?

·
Registered
795 Posts
:( The prongs on that Quicktune 2000 should be stopping on the shelf , not on that little bolt. If you keep shooting it that way that little screw will break. Gauranteed.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Good point on the bushings, guys. I shouldn't have overlooked that.:confused: When my pro-tec was new it had a noise and we traced it down to the axle on the top cam. The little C clip was vibrating, one lil' ol' axle shim and it fixed it.:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Meleagris1 said:
Your bushings,spacers and C-clips are all the pieces that slide onto your axle, other than the cam itself. Even in a new bow they may rattle if not installed properly. I noticed mine started vibrating after a month of shooting in really high humidity. Did you bang on the limbs to see if that is where the vibration is coming from?
Well, I rapped my finger on the limbs to see if I could find out what is rattling. I will work more w/ it tonite when I get home from work.

1iarrowking said:
:( The prongs on that Quicktune 2000 should be stopping on the shelf , not on that little bolt. If you keep shooting it that way that little screw will break. Gauranteed.
I see. That's sounds odd to me, but I will move it when I get home. The rest won't scratch or tear up my riser deck?

Check out this page from NAP's web site. It shows the Quik Tune 2000 in action. The pictures who the rest NOT touching the riser deck.

http://www.newarchery.com/arrowrests/qt2.asp

Frame 1:
Arrow just before release.

Frame 2:
Prongs as they begin to rotate out of the way (note the arrow has risen above the rest).

Frame 3:
Prongs in the down position and identifies the beginning of the arrow fletching.

Frame 4:
Fletching centered over the prong block.

Frame 5:
Fletching fully clear and
forward of the rest block.

Frame 6:
Unimpeded arrow exiting the bow.

·
Banned
843 Posts
I just ordered a Darton Rampage ExpressLH 31.5 " Draw 70 lb.(expect in 2 weeks ) I bought the NAP quick tune drop away for it.Just playin with it...noisy? Sounds like the arrow rest drops on the bolt,quite noisy. You say it should be set up to fall on the arrow holder...mounted that way ...is it quieter this way?...Should I take it back for a regular NAP quik tune or GKF facimile for hunting ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts