Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Disco89
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some basic advice.

Due to the death of my father-in-law, and now nursing home for my mother-in-law, we (wife and I) are contemplating the purchase of some of the family farm along with her brother.
Quite honestly I'm really only interested in about 70-90 acres of what they call "the woods", which to me is not woods at all but wide-open pasture with an "L" of mature oaks and dying ash that follow the edge of a steep bluff. Zero young trees or underbrush (pasturing cows) A pretty dirty and erroding creek (from cows, again both on this property and several others upstream) runs through the middle of it.

There is about 15 acres of actual woods on an adjoining property but no other woods for at least 2 miles. I've put trail cams down and have gotten pictures of a few deer (like 7ish). When we got married (18 years ago) there used to be a couple pheasants around but no more. There used to be some turkeys (I got my first archery bird there) but they too are not around anymore. The corn boom and round-up pretty much did away with the last bits of nesting cover in the area.

So my main question is related to out-of-state archery/deer draw. Is there an advantage for non-resident land owners in the draw? Would I need to apply to the draw or could I as a land owner, purchase an out-of-state license? I'm thinking much less about myself, but more for my kids in their future. I know that I would need to spend quite a pile of money planting trees, get rid of the pasture rental (loss of a bit of income) etc to really even make it a huntible property (plus with a generally low deer population in the area, I'm not sure if that would even help much?) It's almost exactly a 2 hr drive from our current home.

I'm basically curious if it's even worth it. Wife and her brother (maybe buying the cropland and continuing to rent it out) would like to buy it for sentimental reasons. I personally don't think that is very wise, though we could probably buy it at assessed value, which is far less than actual value.

Any opinions specifically about the licensing aspect, and secondary about the property? I see potential there, but the reality is 40 acres near my home would probably give better immediate and long-term hunting than would all 90 acres even if turned into excellent habitat.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Create habitat where there isn't any and you'll have an island paradise for the deer. Even just letting it go back to grass and scrub brush and getting the cows out will create a lot of shelter and draw them in, won't take more than 2-3 years and in that time you can work on planting trees. I'd say if the price is right then it would be worth it, who would be setting the price?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with ironmann and if anything its a hell of an investment especially if you are buying at assessed value vs actual. You can always sell it if you decide not to keep then use the profits to buy a better piece of hunting ground.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
You might get more replies in the bowhunting forum. But I don't think nonresident landowners get any preference on drawing tags in Iowa.

·
Disco89
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the perspective, and yes I agree and have envisioned the glorious future. Bring in some trapped beavers and flood the lowland, marsh grasses, pheasants, apple and plum trees, etc. Reality isn't always that way, so I'm trying to look at reality... I don't really think it would become a deer paradise, especially in 2-3 years more like 20 and past my hunting years. Some deer, yes, but there simply aren't many at all around. In a couple perfect funnels on the property, a couple deer on camera over two-three weeks isn't very many.

$500+ for out-of-state license for each of my kids (if they can get drawn, any knowledge on the land owner aspect of that???)

I'm not sure if my non-hunting brother-in-law has the same thoughts about what to do with the property. I think he sees cattle as a secondary source of income. He now lives 1 hr away, but has been expanding a side business enough that he could potentially have crop rental, cattle, and his business supply his needs while selling his home and living at the home farm.

Again, I'm looking first at if my non-resident kids could have any advantage getting drawn with me as a land owner, and 2nd if this is worth doing.

Oh, and any iowa folks out there tell me what's up with the 'yote hunters that simply let their dogs out and then driving onto anyone's property that they feel like without asking permission? I'm certainly in favor of thinning the yotes, but maybe knocking on a door or calling landowners first is appropriate?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's a joke law. We own farm ground in Iowa. We should be able to hunt it without needing to be drawn. We pay the damn property taxes so it's not like the state is getting money. It's a damn joke.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Just because you own land doesn’t give you a right to hunt it in a state that requires a draw. It would be nice but they have a draw system for a reason. Don’t feel obligated since your a land owner.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's a joke law. We own farm ground in Iowa. We should be able to hunt it without needing to be drawn. We pay the damn property taxes so it's not like the state is getting money. It's a damn joke.

Lol - You could always move to Iowa and hunt every year.

Non resident landowners are in the same draw as everyone else.

What part of Iowa is the farm in OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts

I lived there for 27 years. It's still a joke law. It's our property that we pay taxes on. Shouldn't need to be put into a draw to shoot the deer on our land

·
Disco89
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Jones Co. I know there is some good hunting, but not in this immediate area. Gotta go at least 2 miles east for any woods, and N,S,W it's more like 6 miles or more. Over the years (talking to some neighbors that hunt pretty hard) very few deer have been taken, very few ever seen.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
no non rez landowner tags. Draw only. it is what it is...plus, Iowa DNR is not stupid. Do you know what would happen to Iowa if there was NR landowner permits. Iowa on average is a lower cost of living and salary. residents would have no place to hunt. Trust me on that. MANY will sell for the right price...and there are people that will pay that RIGHT price. even when someone isn't going to sell or intend on selling, they will sell at a certain price.

If you think the best land won't be bought out from out of state rich boys, you are mistaken. Iowa DNR knows this. I would pray they never change land ower permits if I was a iowa rez. I know guys that will pay millions, just to own land there and hunt every year as a NR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts