Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these pics of a buck with a deformed rack of some sort from my trail cam. I have never seen him before and dont have a good guess on his age. From all the pics I have of him he looks very healthy. Would you shoot him? Why or why not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
second year buck...look at his face and body size. Looks young to me. I would not shoot him because think of what he will look like in a few years to come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have to agree

he has got to be only 1 1/2 or two yrs old. The neck line is to narrow and the belly line comes up in front of his back legs. A buck that 3-4 yrs will have a neck that is broader and his belly line will run flat from front to rear.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree. Young buck. Probably a 1.5 year old. Long legs and slim taught body. Front shoulders and hams very thin. He should be good in a couple of years.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Need to Grow

I would pass on shooting this buck for at least 2 more seasons. He would reach his full potential around 5 years if you can hold off. He would make a great trophy down the road if you are into deer management. I would shoot a doe before I shoot this one. But on the other hand. The surrounding hunters might take him.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
I agree that he's 1.5 years old. I would let him go as well. He could be a really neat buck in a couple years. He looks healthy as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts